employment / redundancy question

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

employment / redundancy question

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm

What is the law regarding making someone redundant?
Our community would like to get rid of our cleaner, but have been informed it would cost us a packet to sack her, because unless we can prove she's been caught red-handed stabbing the president, or some such misdemeanor, she has "rights" and will take us to court for unfair dismissal.
So, can we decide we no longer need a cleaner, make her redundant rather than fire her, and just pay her a statutory amount in line with the length of her service? And if so, how long before we can "realise" that we do after all need a cleaner, and hire a new one?
(and before anyone asks the obvious, I don't know why we stupidly employed her on a contract rather than as an autonomo in the first place - I think perhaps she was sleeping with the administrator :oops: ).
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: employment / redundancy question

Postby markwilding » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:09 pm

There are statutory Redundancy payments which depends on the length of time worked. The person who wrote the original contract should know what they are
Last edited by markwilding on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: employment / redundancy question

Postby Miro » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:33 pm

That would be the administrator, who doesn't seem keen to help us ditch her, hence I'm asking for help here.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.