Isle of Man driving test pass.

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
TerryC
Resident

Re: Isle of Man driving test pass.

Postby TerryC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:41 am

When I eventually have my face to face meeting at the DGT I expect to have a sensible conversation with an understanding person who will listen to a reasoned arguement, look at all my documents and then decide, yes your licence is afterall acceptable to the Spanish authorities, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, and thank you for pointing this out to us so we can now allow anybody with a Manx licence to drive legally in our country.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 am

and I'm sure Sir Humphrey (el toro) is looking forward to meeting with you TerryC :thumbup:
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Terry - you get the prize for being the most optimistic bloke in Spain! If it happens as you expect, your next stop should be the nearest lottery outlet, where you will buy one ticket for Euromillions that will win you £135,000,000! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:15 pm

Well my piece of plastic arrived today from the DGT, my Spanish replacement for my UK licence. I looked, hoping that they had somehow included my bike licence but no such luck. The fight continues. All I can say for it is that it is just a piece of credit sized plastic. Only the UK could issue you with a piece of plastic that fits neatly in your wallet plus an A4 sized piece of paper that must accompany the plastic, what a country.
Just to let you know it is not just my bike licence that is of concern. My wife has a UK car licence but she too passed her test in the IOM, noted on the licence. There is no way on this earth she would even consider taking a test here in Spain just to do what she has been doing for the last twenty years.
One more point, looking at the average bike rider over here, I know I would be far safer and far more considerate to other road users. Pity that's not taken into account.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:19 pm

It is now 18 days since I sent my first E:Mail to the DGT requesting clarification of this point. In all I have sent 7 numbered requests for an answer and so far I have not even received an acknowledgement. This is a government department, the authority on all matters vehicular so why the hell don't they answer an E:Mail to an address which they sent me in the first place.

Or am I just being naive to think that somebody might actually answer me???????

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm

TerryC wrote: Or am I just being naive to think that somebody might actually answer me???????
Yes, sadly I'm afraid you are.

If you want an even more frustrating example of the reality of life in Spain just try emailing Telefonica.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:12 pm

My wife once called 915 371 001 with a query about a driving licence and was put through to a very helpful person who, coincidentally, had a holiday home on the coast in Málaga and after a chat about her horses and the pros and cons of living in the countryside as opposed to the centre of a large city he managed to sort out the problem. The number is that of the Ministerio del Interior - Atención al Ciudadano.

She may have just been lucky but it's worth a try.
Let's go Brandon!

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Thank you for that Beachcomber I might just give that a try. I'll let you know.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:54 am

Some progress at last. My lawyer has spoken to the Supervisor in charge of international licence exchange via the 060 number and he has stated categorically that there is no problem with an Isle of Man test pass if it is regisatered on a uk licence, which mine is. Now I am just waiting for my lawyer to make an appointment at the Malaga Trafico so we can explain their own rules to them.

Getting exciting isn't it.

TerryC
Resident

Postby TerryC » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:53 pm

***SUCCESS - SUCCESS - SUCCESS***

I have been down to the Trafico today, had a reasonable conversation with the gentleman behind the counter, who had a conversation with his oppo. I then explained about the supervisor on the 060 number, so the gentleman behind the counter went and had a word with his supervisor and lo and behold came back declaring "Yo tengo una solucion."

I filled out another change form and paid another €26 odd and went back to the reasonable gentleman and now have a temporary Spanish licence with the full motorcycle entitlement. He told me that the regulations had changed on December 4, 2009 but nobody knew, yea right!!!!!!

So anybody with a UK licence with Manx passes get down to the Trafico before they forget about this new regulation.

Yahooo :thumbup:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 am

Congratulations on your victory, I trust you are planning to ride a decent bike 8)
Ah! the full english!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 am

Moylley dhyt! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.