Insurance Claim rejected...because not enough rain!

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Insurance Claim rejected...because not enough rain!

Postby karandjon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm

A friend of my phoned me last night. They have a house out here and are insured with Santander. A few weeks ago this harsh weather brought down their wall/fence, on 1 side of their property.

An insurance assessor came to look at it, and have just telephoned them with their report...claim rejected as not enough rain to have taken the wall down!

The wall had footings, drainage, (a contractor i had out for them to give a quote agreed it was very well done). in fact the only thing he said is that he would redo it with 20cm blocks to withold the earth the other side. If the insurance company had said this to them i would understand.

But to say it is rejected solely because we haven't had enough rain? This sounds ridiculous. Is there anything they can do or should they just take it on the chin, take their custom elsewhere and mark it up to experience?

I know if it was me, i could not just let it go...or maybe it is normal with insurance companies in Spain...i've never needed to make a claim...touch wood!

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Insurance Claim rejected...because not enough rain!

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:30 pm

'Satander' (sic) are the scum of the earth. Avoid them like the plague.
Let's go Brandon!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:39 pm

:lol: Not one to mince his words is Beach :lolno:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Santander insurance policies are not even worth the paper they are written on, they reject claims on the most spurious grounds, and I would definitely advise your friends to appeal against this decision, tell Santander you will refer it to their in house Defensor but bear in mind you will no doubt have to go on to the external Defensor, and hope he has been on the altar wine before he reads their complaint (oops)

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 pm

thanks beachy and jool. i agree with you both. it is shocking. no wonder a lot of the spanish don't bother with house insurance!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 pm

We had a similar experience with a different insurance company.

In the small print of the policy it will say something like had to have 40 litros of agua per hora or more to qualify. The insurance company uses readings from your nearest weather station which could and often does have a completly different sub climate to the house with the problem.

The insurance company isn't going to instal pluviometros in every insured house and the householder isn't going to keep accurate own records "just in case".

My advice would be to see if any other neighbours had similar damage and if they had successful insurance claims and use them as evidence. You could also try asking at your local Ayuntamiento to see if they or any other local people have good weather records. A well prepared campaign with photos and evidence might just wear them down. e.g. they may offer some money goodwill so long as you renew. Worth trying.

irismary
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby irismary » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Santander. Can't let this go by without comment. We had a claim with Santander a couple of years ago when we had a leaking pipe under the floor in our bathroom. I cannot speak highly enough of the service we received from them. The assessor came promptly, decided how much they would pay, put half the money directly into our bank account and paid the rest when presented with the factura after the works completed. The assessor was so generous with the amount for making good after floor/wall tiles had to be replaced that we got the whole house replumbed at the same time and had only to pay a couple of hundred euros more than they paid up for the original claim. Maybe something to do with the fact that we live in a small village and the assessor came from Madrid where prices are probably much higher than our local fontanero. :thumbup:

marios
Resident

Postby marios » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Aviva are another Co to avoid,there sole purpose in life is to avoid paying anything out in claims be it house or health Ins,was talking to a life ins advisor who was trying to sell me a policy with Aviva and I told him in no uncertainn terms and would never do business with them,he actually agreed and said they had a bad reputation :clap:

With this rain we have been having my villa has developed a few leaks through the roof,do you know without checking my policy if I claim on my policy for redecoration/finding source of said leaks.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Zurich wouldn't pay out for damage in the big Mijas fire some years ago.

Re. water damage and floods. There is usually some catch all clause ....if the property was constructed correctly etc. Most are not so they don't pay. Never had to make a claim about anything so not had experience. Did move from Zurich when I heard how many had not been paid out!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm

I have no personal experience myself but have heard that Vitalicio and Santa Lucia are good companies to deal with.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm

irismary wrote: Maybe something to do with the fact that we live in a small village and the assessor came from Madrid where prices are probably much higher than our local fontanero. :thumbup:
I notice that you are in the Huelva province also, like my friends. They too are in a small village.

oliveview - i think you're right. the weather station is probably sevilla or huelva. i live half an hour from them, and i'm closer to the coast....we have had a lot of rain, but not as much as they have!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 pm

I think the advice given by Iris Mary is probably worth following up by your friends as more than one claim for same reason = Defensor etc...if Telefonica can capitulate (not sure I really believe it) then miracles can happen!!!!

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 pm

We were insured with Santander - and because we rang them 3 times in one year - on which they didn´t give us a penny each time - they then sent us a letter saying we were an insurance nightmare and were cancelling their policy with us!!!Effectively leaving us without house insurance - unbelievable.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:19 pm

I also find it strange that they are claiming not enough water - since both times I have rung up to claim for rain damage, with two different companies - THE FIRST THING THEY DO is to check the amonunt of rainfall BEFORE sending anyone out. >First time they told us not enough rain, second time they sent someone out as there was enough - therefore to send someone out must mean that they checked rainfall and that there was enough rain in the first place-

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:35 pm

I have made two claims in the past 3 years. The first time, an assessor came and photographed the damage. Next day I received a phone call saying my claim would be met in full.

Fast forward - 2nd claim - same circumstances. This time I got a call saying my claim would not be met. I then asked them if I should then contact the defensor del pueblo or my lawyer so I could make an official complaint. I was put on hold. After a few minutes she told me I'd get another phone call next day.

Next day I was told that indeed an error was made and my claim would be met in full.

NEVER accept what ANY insurance company offers you if it's less than the cost of repair or replacement. Their first offer should always be rejected.
Dave