Charcoal BBQ on apartment terrace!

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Nijan
Tourist

Charcoal BBQ on apartment terrace!

Postby Nijan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:14 am

Hi, wonder if anyone can tell me if there are laws/regulations regarding the use of charcoal bbqs on apartment terraces? I'm being smoked off my terrace by neighbours on both sides of my ground floor apartment. Not only is the smoke and smell troublesome (to say the least!), I wondered whether this actually constituted a fire hazard?

Is there a law regarding this? Or is this something that is down to Community Rules?

Many thanks (and sorry if this isn't the correct forum - didn't quite know where to post it!) :?

Retro P
Resident

Re: Charcoal BBQ on apartment terrace!

Postby Retro P » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:57 am

I don't have a clue about the rules but, I have a town house in Nueva Andalucia with a ground floor terrace which is built about 20 metres from the pool we have a built in charcoal burning BBQ incorporated into the fireplace chimney (on the other side of the wall) I've never used it as I prefer a gas one, however I figure as it was built into the house it was there to be used !
Do your neighbours have the same or are they using mobile ones because that could be classed as a fire hazard !
Ah! the full english!!

Nijan
Tourist

Postby Nijan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 am

Thanks for your reply. No, there is no built-in facility for the BBQ on the terraces here. They are just using a mobile BBQ, so the smoke goes everywhere! It's pretty inconsiderate and definitely anti-social!!

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:27 am

Not sure ,how much sympathy you will get for people having a BBQ, ( not that you asked for sympathy )

Here my spanish neigbours cook outside every Friday,Saturday and Sunday, luckily for us the smoke doesn't effect us,we are too far away, plus we are always asked to go along, if not litrally dragged there :)

My problem would be if it was too noisy, I am a miserable sod were noise is concerned :roll:

Maybe you could make friends and join them :) If a quite word doesn't help,you could smoke them out when they are not exspecting it, then it might be understood by them what is happening if it is so bad !

First have a quite word, could work wonders :lol:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:57 am

The apartment bloque i used to live in had a strictly no BBQing allowed.Not even on the huge roof.I would say your neighbours are being very inconsiderate and are creating a potential fire hazard.I would pop and have a chat to the president of the bloque and let him know whats happening.

JAWG
Resident

Postby JAWG » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:27 pm

quite word
I think you mean "quiet word", Julie.

(I am only doing this because the usual "spelling police" seem to be on vacation.)
John G
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Nijan
Tourist

Postby Nijan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm not really looking for sympathy, just answers. :| If we were on the top floor, with open terraces, I may have a different attitude, but we are ground floor, with pretty much enclosed/covered terraces of about 23 sqm, with an opening between the terraces from the ceiling down of about 50-60 cms. So the smoke drifts through the openings as well as generally around the walls!

It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to realise that this may be a nuisance to your neighbour - which makes me think they are just thick or just don't give a damn! The fumes from the lighter fuel is bad enough without the smoke! Plus the fire hazard issue! Our administrators have confirmed the community rules and the Horizonal/Shared Property Act clauses which set out the prohibitions - not specifically about bbqs but things which may be detrimental/cause a nuisance to other property owners/tenants - but I wondered if there was anything concrete about the fire hazard side in the Municipal/regional laws? :?: Thanks all.