Special Assessment community payments

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Special Assessment community payments

Postby Paula » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:48 am

Can anyone confirm that I am correct in thinking that it is legal for a President/Committee to take a special payment from residents without a vote, as long as it is no more than 1qtr's community fees in any given year?

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Special Assessment community payments

Postby DavidSearl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

FOR PAULA

The President of the Community is a servant of the assembled owners who vote at the AGM.

1. In principle, he may not make any special charges which the AGM has not authorised him to make.
2. When necessary and urgent, he may authorise expenses which he must later justify to the AGM. He can be held accountable for these expenses.

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: Special Assessment community payments

Postby Paula » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Okay, thank you David. Unfortunately this one is not as I expected. I have heard of other communities even taking extra payments from owners without a vote. Presumably they are on shaky ground?
I wanted to take a small extra payment from owners to cover what will be a large bill next year. Thinking that splitting it into two special payments one this year and one next would make it easier on people. To wait for the AGM to vote will defeat the object, never mind have to come up with plan B.