Living power of attorney

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Living power of attorney

Postby olive » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:45 am

In the UK I understand there are two types of power of attorney.(Personal welfare and Property and affairs) Fees are based on your gross annual income but over £16k there is a £120 registration fee and various other fees and charges ! Under £16 there are some reductions available. The system changed recently.

With us all allegedly living longer the probability of having a relative or partner with Alzeimers or similar condition have increased. The individual with power of attorney then has the ability to write cheques, make healthcare decisions and so on.

Is there a similar scheme here in Spain? Or do the Spanish recognise the UK system?

olive

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Living power of attorney

Postby Jool » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:04 am

Yes is the answer to both questions but I would advise you contact Age Concern in Spain for detailed info as you need to follow a procedure for UK POA/Living Will to be recognised here and I understand there are other benefits if you can get the spanish version, if both say the same thing in some cases it is beneficial to have both done.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 am

You don't need to have 2, just a translation with the official Hague Apostille stamp. I used De Penna reccommended by Beachcomber. First time was to deal with all the affairs of my Brother when he was on tour. This included full access to his bank accounts in Spain etc. and to sell his property. The second was just to handle the sale of a property for a friend and the document named said property. They are excellent and prompt.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20204&p=176390&hilit=POA#p176390

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:10 pm

If both parties can visit a Notary in Spain a Spanish power of attorney is very simple and executed at the Notary and can cover everything or limited to certain transactions such as selling property, can be limited in time or open ended.

With banking a visit to the branch and adding the other person as signature to the account is all that is needed and is free.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

FOR OLIVE

Good posts all. Yes, there is a "Living Will" document in Spain. It is popularly called a "Testamento Vital" and it covers the medical, health, and dying areas. It provides that no "extraordinary" measures be taken to prolong life, and that sort of thing.

I am in fact in a similar situation, with my 93-year-old mother-in-law living at home with us. I would recommend a general Power of Attorney made in Spain,for dealing with legal matters, having the carer named as an authorised signature on any bank accounts, and the Testmento Vital for the final matters relating to a dignified death. They use the term "Muerte Digna".

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:18 pm

The "Living Will" is registered with the Junta.

It is the "Registro de Voluntades Vitales Anticipadas". This register can be accessed online by health professionals at any time.

There are more details here

https://ws003.juntadeandalucia.es/pls/i ... ntad_vital

Sid