doh

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
patchdog
Resident

doh

Postby patchdog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 am

My partner and I took up residency in Spain approx 5 years ago. We bought a house that needed lots of work on it. My partner was in receipt of an old age pension and a pension from the British Government as she worked as a Civil Servant. I am not entitled to any pension. Initially we thought I would work but my partner decided that she was to isolated and needed me as a companion and that we would live off her pensions and the rental we have from a house in the UK.For me to get medical cover here in Spain we completed lots of forms with which I was able to gain the medical cover, the procedure we went through to be classed as man and wife was a pareja de hecho.

Now my partner has left and returned to England and we have separated after 22 years. I am now penniless and have no income except a half of the rental of the house from the uk. Is there a hope that I can claim some of my partner’s pension in order to finish renovating the house? Should my partner be expected to contribute to the up keep of the house and if so how much? My partner paid tax on her state pension here in Spain. The house is in joint names. I am finding it allmost impossible to find work in Spain because of the crisis,infact Spanish friends are loosing their jobs. My finances are such that I cannot pay for legal advice.

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: doh

Postby DavidSearl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:26 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

FOR PATCHDOG

You find yourself in a very distressing situation and I am afraid I have no good news for you. In Spanish law there is no obligation for one partner to support another partner when they separate, whether they are legally married or living as common-law spouses (pareja de hecho). The only obligation to support would come when children are involved.

If one of the partners is very wealthy, the other one very poor and unable to work, it is possible that a hard-hitting divorce lawyer could obtain a settlement from the wealthy partner.

At least you own one-half a house in the UK and one-half a house in Spain, which you could use as bargaining points.

Sorry again, and good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: doh

Postby Jool » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Patchdog can you take in a lodger? Or two? Offer free accomm in return for work on the house (if you have the materials)....its a tough position youa re in and 22 years is a heck of a long time and a huge adjustment for you.

Your ex will still have to pay half the running costs of the spanish property, IBI etc, but not Utility bills of course.......but then I suppose you should do the same for the UK house.....