Speeding fines and UK licence

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Speeding fines and UK licence

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 pm

White Horse wrote: Why are the DVLA insistent that a licence holder has a UK address, when "we are all Europeans now". .
They don't. They are quite happy for a non UK resident UK licence holder to have an incorrect UK address on the licence.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm

julian wrote:"If it can work quickly one way it should apply similarly to the other"

two countries with two very different systems,and two very different paces of life... why should all countries have to be the same and do everything the same way?
They should be the same seeing as they are contemplating closer fiscal and economic policies :crazy:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 pm

It's not worth the effort as the new EU licence is due out within a year or so.

When it comes out the posts on this forum will drop by 25% :D :D

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:25 pm

El Cid wrote:
White Horse wrote: Why are the DVLA insistent that a licence holder has a UK address, when "we are all Europeans now". .
They don't. They are quite happy for a non UK resident UK licence holder to have an incorrect UK address on the licence.

Sid
OK, you are right, but let anyone try to renew with a Spanish address and see how far they get.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:26 pm

El Cid wrote:-
They are quite happy for a non UK resident UK licence holder to have an incorrect UK address on the licence.
Maybe by default, but the DVLA does say that you must notify any changes of address so that the photocard can be re-issued. Presumably were they made aware that someone no longer lived in the UK they could, if they so wished, cancel that licence on those grounds. They also make it clear that you cannot have an overseas address on it and that you should contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence,the inference being (I presume) that you should exchange your UK licence. When you come to renew your UK licence, for example at age 70, you are required to certify, amongst other things, that (a) you are a resident of Great Britain and (b) you can provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years.
Short of making a false declaration you have no choice at that stage but to exchange for a Spanish licence.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:12 am

masterob wrote:Except that both are supposedly using a standard EU licence! So why shouldn't it be reasonable to expect the arrangements for exchanging them to be more or less similar?
From what I can work out it is the layout of the licence that is supposed to be standard across Europe but there are differences in some things, such as the various groups. Certainly the groups on my old UK licence are different from my Spanish one.

However, in 2013, the groups are supposed to be standardised. When that happens it will be UK that will have to change. Spain is already using the proposed standard groups.

4 months to get a licence? I exchanged mine 2 or 3 years ago. New Spanish licence arrived within a fortnight. It had an error on it but a corrected replacement arrived jus a week later. Maybe I was lucky. It surprised my Gestor though.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 am

masterob wrote:El Cid wrote:-
They are quite happy for a non UK resident UK licence holder to have an incorrect UK address on the licence.
Maybe by default, but the DVLA does say that you must notify any changes of address so that the photocard can be re-issued. Presumably were they made aware that someone no longer lived in the UK they could, if they so wished, cancel that licence on those grounds.
This is what the DVLA say about it.

It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences.

There is no way they can cancel your licence just because you have moved abroad.

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 am

"They should be the same seeing as they are contemplating closer fiscal and economic policies "

so france and germany wanting closer economic and fiscal policies in the future means the uk and spain should now be delivering driving licences in the same time then katy?

I see the price of eggs has gone up

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:10 am

I renewed my licence myself and it took just a couple of weeks for me to receive my new one, which was correct but I know several people who have applied to change from UK to spanish and they have been waiting 2 months now and still nothing. so maybe things have changed or its the wrong time of year.

Personally I think this fudge of saying you can keep a UK licence is ridiculous, either you live in Spain or you don´t, if you live here, as opposed to spending several months a year here then surely you are much better off with a spanish licence........unless you want to point dodge of course.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:15 am

call a national bank holiday....
I agree with Jool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

"either you live in Spain or you don´t".........that should apply to everything, not just driving licences though

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 am

I still have my UK licence after eight years of living here basically because I didn´t realise I had to change it until I joined this forum, so when it's due to be renewed the next time, I'll do it.
I had the old green type before which had another 20 years to go.
One day I was talking to a group of expats of which one was still using the very old green type and had been stopped by the police. He managed to convince the policeman that it was perfectly legal tender.
I tend to agree with Jool though, there is no real benefit to not changing.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:54 am

Jool wrote:Personally I think this fudge of saying you can keep a UK licence is ridiculous, either you live in Spain or you don´t, if you live here, as opposed to spending several months a year here then surely you are much better off with a spanish licence........unless you want to point dodge of course.
It is not a fudge, though, is it?
A UK driving licence is valid in Spain as per the DVLA comments. So, not a fudge.
I kept my UK licence for 10 years, (it was stamped by tráfico, mind you), then I decided I liked the place so much, I'd pay the €50+ for a medical I didn't need and to exchange a perfectly good licence.
Of course, since having the Spanish licence it has made SUCH a difference to my standard of driving!
If people want to save money by not swapping licences, let them, the only way they are much better off with a Spanish licence is that they would find it easier to replace if lost or stolen.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 am

Campo Steve wrote: 4 months to get a licence?.
So far, Steve, so far...not got it yet! :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 am

"I'd pay the €50+ for a medical I didn't need "

but you do need the medical.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:31 am

Why complicate things and change it when you don't need to, won't make you anymore integrated :lol: Never changed mine in 15 years. If you go on holiday elsewhere and hire a car you don't get the same deals as a UK licence owner. You also have the advantage of always having a point free licence!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am

why wouldn´t you get the same carhire deal as a uk licence holder when you are on holiday elsewhere ?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 am

Actually Katy its not true and an urban myth - provided your licence is a European one with same format as the UK one - ie photo ID and category lists that are understandable you get exactly the same deal

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:41 am

Wasn't an urban myth when we travelled to miami with 2 other couples...I was present when they did the formalities.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:47 am

Well I used my spanish licence in USA...and was told it was treated exactly the same as a UK one, I cannot see why it would not be as spanish is the second official language of the USA

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:10 am

Jool wrote:Actually Katy its not true and an urban myth - provided your licence is a European one with same format as the UK one - ie photo ID and category lists that are understandable you get exactly the same deal
I don't think it matters which licence you have but it does make a difference where you live.
Go to hertz.co.uk and get a quote, open another window and go to hertz.es, enter in the same details and get a quote, it will be much more expensive.
I just did that for 4 day car hire from Edinburgh next month GB price £55.34 ES price €89.64 (£78.48) :thumbdown:
I asked them about this last year and was told that it was to cover the increased insurance risk caused by driving on the other side of the road.
Ann