Speeding fines and UK licence

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Re: Speeding fines and UK licence

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 am

Wasn't an urban myth when we travelled to miami with 2 other couples...I was present when they did the formalities.
Did you book in advance? In which case it wouldn't have made any difference. Not been a problem when we have been to Miami.
I don't think it matters which licence you have but it does make a difference where you live.
No, it makes a difference what site you book through. You may live in Spain but nothing to stop you booking through the uk web site. I've done that with car hire in UK and flights and car hire in NZ to get the better rates. Nothing to do with where I live.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 am

No, it makes a difference what site you book through. You may live in Spain but nothing to stop you booking through the uk web site.
You can only book through the UK site if you give a UK address and pay with a UK card, The "country" box has United Kingdom in it and you can't change it. I admit I haven't tried every company but that is the case with Hertz, National Alamo & Avis.
I suspect that if you have an accident and didn't give them your correct address they may find an excuse not to pay :think:
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 am

Was in 2004 and when licence was presented at collection depot they were told that the special offer was not available that they they had booked through US website (I was present), the insurance was also higher. My address was spanish too but a UK credit card, UK licence.

The USA can do what it wants they are not in chains to europe trade rules and have different offers for different countries. Another eg. is travel, impossible to book flights without being directed to UK/Spain sites. We have used a US travel agency for over 10 years to book great deals on cruising. Last year they were ordered by the cruiselines not to sell to Europe. Before anyone rubbishes this I still have the e-mail from the MD explaining the situation!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm sure it does happen, but not always. Two years ago I booked a car with Hertz on the UK site with a Spanish address and driving licence. I still have the paperwork. Maybe it has changed since.

Also booked internal flights in NZ with AirNZ using Spanish address and UK bank card - no problem.

Just need to shop around.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:49 pm

" Was in 2004 and when licence was presented at collection depot they were told that the special offer was not available "

all the latest up to date info !!!

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:53 pm

Steve,
They changed it last year.
I wanted to book a car paying in sterling using a UK card which is registered to my Spanish address - no longer possible on the website. I changed to the Spanish site and was quite happy to pay using my Spanish credit card until I saw the price. I emailed Hertz and they told me that their insurance company demanded a premium for Spanish drivers in the UK. I explained that I had a UK licence but they said that it was where I currently lived that was the criteria. :cry:
No problem booking flights in any currency or with any address - no insurance issues.
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:47 pm

This is part of an e-mail I received. Although cruises it demonstrates that they can do what they want and different companies vary but they all have different price structures for different countries.

Unfortunately, Celebrity, Cunard, Holland America, MSC, Oceania, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Star Clippers now prohibit all U.S. travel agencies (including Vacations To Go) from selling cruises to citizens of countries other than the United States and Canada, unless they have a residence in the U.S. or Canada. This is not a Vacations To Go policy or a U.S. government policy, it is a corporate policy instituted by each of these cruise lines. We are very disappointed in the restrictions they have placed on U.S. travel agencies.

Fortunately, many cruise lines allow customers of all nations to book deeply-discounted cruises through Vacations To Go. Here is a list of cruise lines we can offer you: Azamara, Carnival, Cruise West, Crystal, Disney, Norwegian, Paul Gauguin, Regent Seven Seas, Seabourn, SeaDream, Silversea, Voyages of Discovery and Windstar.

If you are ever interested in booking one of these cruise lines, please let me know.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 pm

mars bars don´t cost the same in all countries either which just goes to prove that rent-a-car prices can differ depending on your licence.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Bottom line is why get one (a licence) when you don't have to. Even if you are not planning to step outside the country why waste time and money on medicals and the possibility of having points deducted.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:34 pm

"why waste time and money on medicals"

because the law says you must...
some brits will bend over backwards to not abide by the laws of the country they choose to live in...I guess those brits feel superior to having to comply with the laws of these lesser countries..Rule Britannia

why have a licence at all ? just drive without one..it´s only spain after all

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:38 pm

If you don't have a UK address then you cannot renew - correct? The photo is only valid for 10 years, so before that comes up you have to renew - correct?
Therefore you can only put off changing for a maximum of 10 years, and must in any case have the proper driving medical as if you had a Spanish licence - correct?
It sounds to be more a case of "why should I have to" than anything else.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Spanish law says I can keep my UK licence. For reasons above it can be punative to hold a spanish one.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:44 pm

"why waste time and money on medicals "

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Katy - you don't even live in Spain, so you can do as you like. Is your photo valid, just out of interest?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Katy - now I know why you are always so wealthy....you are clearly a CDS ex crim on the run type - for goodness sake, why is it punitive to have a driving licece of the country you live in? :lol: (Joking)

Surely even rich people have to abide by the same laws as those of us who are poorer but apparently richer in moral fibre - I will not be happy if drivers of other countries can run up points with no consequences when us legal residents have to shell out if we commit an offence.......

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:26 pm

peteroldracer wrote:If you don't have a UK address then you cannot renew - correct? The photo is only valid for 10 years, so before that comes up you have to renew - correct?
Therefore you can only put off changing for a maximum of 10 years, and must in any case have the proper driving medical as if you had a Spanish licence - correct?
It sounds to be more a case of "why should I have to" than anything else.

You cannot renew a UK licence if you are not a UK resident.

In theory you could put off changing over for 10 years but under the new rules you would still have to have a medical if you are resident - it is not entirely clear how soon you have to do that but it is almost certainly within 4 years. Therefore if you have been driving on a UK licence without a medical then you have been breaking the law and the licence is not valid for use in Spain.

Just to confuse the issue even further, if you want to exchange a UK licence you can do so and a medical is not required unless the licence is about to expire (ie you are nearly 70). Some gestors ask for a medical certificate as they assume it is needed.. It is not.

No wonder people get confused. :( :(

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm

El Cid wrote:
Just to confuse the issue even further, if you want to exchange a UK licence you can do so and a medical is not required unless the licence is about to expire (ie you are nearly 70). Some gestors ask for a medical certificate as they assume it is needed.. It is not.

No wonder people get confused. :( :(

Sid
Just to move on one step in the confusion...
When I eventually gave up my UK licence at the age of 53 (with 17 years left to run on the licence) Tráfico required a medical certificate. My UK licence was not a photo licence.
They gave me a licence valid for only 5 years. That makes it more of a 5 yearly driving tax, rather than a licence. The medical is a doddle anyway, especially for anyone who has played console games.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:21 pm

White Horse wrote:
When I eventually gave up my UK licence at the age of 53 (with 17 years left to run on the licence) Tráfico required a medical certificate. My UK licence was not a photo licence.
They gave me a licence valid for only 5 years. That makes it more of a 5 yearly driving tax, rather than a licence. The medical is a doddle anyway, especially for anyone who has played console games.
I can't answer for the reason Trafico wanted a medical. On their website it clearly shows the requirements to exchange and that doesn't include a medical.

So, when you say you had a medical you didn't need, then that's actually correct!

As for the 5 year renewal, that was correct at the time for anyone over 45. It has now changed to 10 years unless you are 65 in which case it is now 5 years. It used to change to 2 years at 70 but that has gone - it's a minimum of 5 years. Over 70 you get the licence free and a discounted medical.

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:27 pm

on their website it shows what the requirements are now, it doesn´t show what the requirements were in the past.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:37 pm

I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one last year and no medical was required.
Dave