5 year gas certificate renewal

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
barry
Resident

Re: 5 year gas certificate renewal

Postby barry » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:15 am

BUT be aware that anyone calling to your property without you requesting them, and informing you that you require a gas revision, are likely to overcharge you and may not be qualified to do the work.
The best option is to arrange it yourself by asking your local gas supplier, be it a garage or a delivery man, their advice as to who to use.
One company that is a regular overcharger in our area is Cogasa.

Stoker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Stoker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:47 am

Rainbow wrote: To find an authorised gas installer contact your local Consejeria for industry (this is the local authority who regulate and maintain a list of registered installers)
Do you have a website or other contact details for the Consejeria for industry?

Thanks

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Or just ignored -- as the Spanish usually do!! :crazy:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Rainbow
Tourist

Postby Rainbow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Sorry Stoker I have only just seen your post as I havent been on here for a while. Best do a search for your own area or contact your local town hall as they should know.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:47 am

It is known to be one of the most prolific money-spinning rackets ever, so be aware!

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:50 am

I have been reading through this discussion again and it mentions that you must have a new Certificate with change of ownership?

Is this correct? Ours was only done in August and has a new Revision Certificate and fittings that are in date until 2016! We have two gas fires, a gas water heater and a gas cooker, plus two spare bottles.

I'm writing out some helpful notes for the new owners and if they need to do it again I shall put this in. I was just going to pass everything on to them as it is.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 am

scampicat wrote:I have been reading through this discussion again and it mentions that you must have a new Certificate with change of ownership?
I can't see anywhere that it says that.

In fact, what was said was:
boblocksmith wrote:My understanding is that any new or changed gas installation or a change of ownership will require a new certificate to be issued after a check by your gas supplier.
boblocksmith's "understanding" is a far cry from "must have a new certificate with change of ownership".

The quoted law above says nothing about change of ownership. It says it is the owners responsibility to have an inspection every 5 years. The certificate relates to the installation, not the person.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 am

I think the only problem would be if you need to buy extra gas bottles. Ours was done when a friend was living in our property and he put it in his name. When we went to the garage to buy an extra bottle they asked for a passport and queried the different name. After much discussion they let us have the bottle eventually.

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks, I have advised them to change their name for the contract, but that is not the same as having to have a new Certificate done. Obviously I read the post wrong and misinterpreted what it was saying.

Thanks for the clarification.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm

murbisa wrote:I think the only problem would be if you need to buy extra gas bottles. .
You can usually find gas bottles for sale at the various flea markets on the coast - no questions asked.

Sid

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Sunday markets, small ads in the papers.....Friday Ad etc etc etc

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:27 pm

BTW....I never had any faith in the legality of the '5-year certificate' and the 'inspections'.....my Spanish friends all just totally pooh-poohed them. (As did I in the end...I changed my own pipes and fittings...10-minute job!)..BUT then again, thank goodness I never had cause to try and claim on house insurance after a fire.....which I reckon is the only legitimate worry here....

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 pm

When I needed additional bottles I just asked for them at the garage where I normally get my supply from, no questions asked!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Just dug up this because 14 people have been arrested in marbella for gas fraud scams. Says that they targeted elderly people living alone preferably foreigners. Even the owners of the companies were involved in the scam. They threatened people with having their gas cut off if they didn't have an inspection then charged 3 times the price to do it, plus parts. In spanish but worth translating.

http://www.diariosur.es/20120421/local/ ... 11109.html

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:03 pm

Interesting. For the first time in 8 years some guy arrived (we live in the Campo) with a clip-board, some sort of ID badge and said, in Spanish, that he wished to inspect our gas installation. I said we didn't have gas (we do but I felt there was something suspicious about him) so he shrugged his shoulders, got back in his car and away he went!

I guess I'll never know if he was genuine or not!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:06 pm

:lol:

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:25 pm

masterob wrote:
I guess I'll never know if he was genuine or not!
He was not genuine. He might have been able to give you a genuine certificate at a price.
Repsol and Cepsa only send an inspector after you have requested and made an appointment for one to visit you.
All others are chancers or crooks.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Exactly Gerry. But sadly it doesn't stop the scammers, does it :evil: .....and there will ALWAYS be people who get taken in..through no fault of their own!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Regrettably I speak from experience, although I wasn't conned out of too much money.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:28 pm

The man who checked ours originally put his business card in our letterbox to tell us that our last inspection was over 5 years ago.I changed all the tubing myself and rang him for an inspection.He checked for leaks and included our portable gas fire,that was not originally on the list,passed it all and gave us a new 5 year certificate.The charge for this was 50 euros.Good customer service in my opinion.