Tax in spain

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
franie

Tax in spain

Postby franie » Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi can any one give me advice, we are due to do a tax return for last year in Spain, we never worked for the 4 years we was out there so it was always a nil tax, we have returned to the UK in march this year and are now due to do a tax return for last years but as we are no longer living out there so do we still need to do one? we are not working as yet here in the UK.
Can any one advice only not sure what to do for the best as we still own a property out there?
Regards Fran

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tax in spain

Postby Jool » Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Yes you do need to do one as you were here for the entire tax year of 2011......

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed May 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Tax return also required if you own property here, regardless of whether you are here or not.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Tax return also required if you own property here, regardless of whether you are here or not.
That's an entirely different tax return. He is talking about the annual income tax return.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed May 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Quite right Sid. However, there are a lot of people that don't realise that there is a form of tax return that has to be made even though they don't live here. That will surely be his situation in years to come.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Campo Steve wrote:Quite right Sid. However, there are a lot of people that don't realise that there is a form of tax return that has to be made even though they don't live here. That will surely be his situation in years to come.

Fair comment but that isn't the issue here.

Clearly he has legally to continue making nil declarations until he becomes non resident (this year).

Frankly I doubt whether Hacienda would be at all bothered if he didn't bother to declare this year. The only potential problem would be if he subsequently came back to Spain and wanted to claim tax residency to get the benefits of better deals on CGT and IHT.

If not I would suggest it's probably not worth the effort of trying to submit a nil return when you are no longer in Spain.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 am

Campo Steve wrote:Tax return also required if you own property here, regardless of whether you are here or not.
I am aware that there is a form 210 (?) for non residents to do a tax return if they own property in Spain.
I live full time in Spain and own my house here. I submit my Modela 100 for my taxes.
Presumably there isn't an additional tax return form for my property?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 am

My post was maybe a bit confusing, Gerry. What I was getting at was that a lot of people seem to not realise, or conveniently forget, that they still need to submit a return (210) if they don't live in Spain but own property here. It's a different return to the one done if you live here (100). No extra form for you to do.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 am

Campo Steve wrote:My post was maybe a bit confusing, Gerry. What I was getting at was that a lot of people seem to not realise, or conveniently forget, that they still need to submit a return (210) if they don't live in Spain but own property here. It's a different return to the one done if you live here (100). No extra form for you to do.
That is what I thought. I didn't think your reply was confusing but my wife has a Spanish lesson with a Spanish person, who used to work for a Spanish estate agent, who thought that I had to submit both forms. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 am

Gerry, as a resident there is no "imputed rental income" tax on your primary residence. However if you have a second property then you do have to pay that tax, the same as a non resident pays on any property.

The difference is that you declare that "income" on your normal tax declaration.

Sid

David Stuart
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby David Stuart » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:58 pm

We are non-resident in Spain and since we bought our proerty 6 years ago I have completed modelos 214 then 210. I understand that this year the form must be completed on-line. I think I found the form but it looks quite complicated and although I speak fairly reasonable Spanish its not up to legal jargon.
Can anyboby give me any help? TIA

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27896&hilit=non+residents+tax

Take a look at the link I have posted.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Let's go Brandon!

David Stuart
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby David Stuart » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Many thanks for your replies. It was thanks to beachcomber that I have been able to complete the returns in the past and hopefully will, be able to continue so to do.