Smoking at bars with terraces

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Smoking at bars with terraces

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 pm

An interesting discussion has developed on another site about smoking on terraces at bars and restaurants. Many bars and restaurants developed terraces for the smokers when they were banned from smoking inside and erected weather protection. Now that the weather is cold many of the bars are closing the plastic blinds. It has been mentioned that quite a terrace culture has developed in Malaga. But, at what point, when the blinds are closed to keep the wind etc out, do these terraces become non-smoking areas? I believe the law mentions number of walls, but what is a wall? Is a plastic blind classed as a wall?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Smoking at bars with terraces

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Yes, anything that is between the terrace and outside is a wall so smoking is not allowed. It's a question of adequate air circulation to get rid of the smoke and plastic is as effective as a brick wall in this case.

That said I doubt that anyone will complain as the smokers and the non smokers are separated.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks Sid. Unfortunately the discussion arose because of a restaurant in Torre del Mar that apparently only has one small table inside, several outside. It means smokers can't use that restaurant in the winter as the plastic blinds are closed to keep the wind out. A shame as the food is apparently good.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:20 am

If the plastic curtains do not attach to the wall of the building they do not count. All outside areas up here that were enclosed for weather protection for smoking, are smoking areas. Additionally if the plastic sides are raised from the floor then they are not classed as a wall.
Even the newly built McDonalds has the smoking area outside the main & only entrance, Which can only be accessed through the childrens play area, & where smoking is totally banned . Work that one out. :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 am

Interesting Gus-Lopez. Is that national law or a local interpretation? (Not the McDonalds bit?)

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:01 am

Campo Steve wrote:An interesting discussion has developed on another site about smoking on terraces at bars and restaurants.
What ? There's another site ? :lolno: :lolno: :lolno:

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:57 am

It is the national law. Plastic sides where included as 'walls' but only if attached . They cannot be a continuation of the existing building 'wall' if they do not touch the floor nor if they are not attached to the original building. Additionally you can have all 3 sides enclosed & physically attached to the building but if the roof is rolled back then it is an open area.
Todos somos Lorca.

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 pm

I inquired about this to the local council in Mazarron about the bars on Camposol, some of which have totally closed in canopies ;they said at least 2 sides of the outside area had to be open.
What is the point of the the no smoking in restaurants etc if they have created another enclosed area, with all the sides down, through which the people have to walk to get to the inside no smoking area? It's unpleasant and the smoke filters through.
I cannot understand how bars can get away with using loopholes eg whether the sides are attached to the wall or not. At the end of the day, these owners have created another enclosed area, which, by law does NOT allow smoking.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:12 pm

infoseeker wrote: I cannot understand how bars can get away with using loopholes eg whether the sides are attached to the wall or not. At the end of the day, these owners have created another enclosed area, which, by law does NOT allow smoking.
Rather a contradiction there, infoseeker! You say the bar owners are using a loophole. That means they aren't breaking the law but you then go on to say the law does NOT allow smoking. If there is a loophole then the law DOES allow smoking. Can't have it both ways.

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 pm

There is obviously a need for clarification on this rule, as it is being abused, and any loopholes should be stopped.Clients should not have to endure a smoke filled"tent" when passing through, and staff should not be put at risk by working in a smokey atmosphere. The NO Smoking law was brought in for a reason!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Good for the bars I say.
Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Infoseeker. Is it the loopholes that are driving you back to the UK? Pubs and restaurants in UK seem to find less loopholes for smoking so you'll be fine!

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm

It's not the reason, but I shan't miss miss the smokers.I do feel sorry for those addicts who can't even go out for a meal without stopping to puff.

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm

It's not the reason, but I shan't miss miss the smokers.I do feel sorry for those addicts who can't even go out for a meal without stopping to puff.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:31 pm

infoseeker

If a bar offended me in any way I would either stop going there or take the issue up with the owner.
Moaning on a forum won't stop smokers enjoying a puff.
Dave

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

You can imagine the response of the owner- complaining would be futile.
The no smoking law was brought in for a reason.No one should have to avoid a place because it is breaking the law. A fine would set a precedent- bet you'd see the sides roll up then!