Security cameras

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Security cameras

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 pm

dxf wrote:Hi Gerry,

Yes he can only view within his own curtilage; and he must put up a notice to say where you can contact him to protest / confirm what he sees

I´ve recently been through this as I have now got 8 cameras all around my property after a theft

I´ll see if I can find the relevant references
http://translate.google.es/translate?hl ... 6bih%3D538

This type of instrumental measurements is Also called "CCTV." In our system is regulated by the Organic Law 4/1997 of 4 August, approving the use of video cameras is regulated by the Law Enforcement Safety in public places , and the Implementing Regulations for its implementation, the RD 596/1999, of 16 April .

Davexf
Just got from the police station.
They said it wasn't illegal for him to have his camera pointing such that he could view outside his property because the camera was fixed inside his property.
The camera is positioned such that he can view anybody going up/ down his drive, also the neighbours drive and the public track. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I think it is more a question of they couldn't be bothered to do the paperwork for a complaint. :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Before you make the denuncia do you have any proof that the camara is actually connected to anything? And even if it is actually connected the part of the image that views the public area could be clouded out.
You could end up being denounced for a false denuncia if the neighbour is as difficult as you describe, it will be difficult to prove what you are denouncing, even if it is true.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 pm

You are probably correct. I don't have any proof the camera is working. :(
It's just so frustrating, for all his neighbours, being on the receiving end of his constant complaints.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:01 pm

The police won't know the law with regards cameras and cctv, etc.

They will take the easy option to suit themselves as use of cameras is very difficult to prove. If the neighbour says the camera is fake, what do they do then ?

We've been through this with them and they were clueless. Even their security expert was off the mark.
In general, she said that they can monitor the doors of their property. In other words, the cameras must point inwards and must not monitor neighbouring properties.

In any case, we were advised to take the issue up with AGPD and we are going through that process now........very slowly.

The biggest problem for us is that the neighbour has installed the cameras under advice from the very police that don't know the law!!

I will update when we get a resolution.

p.s. it's a national police issue, not a local police issue.
Also, I think our only option will be to install cameras pointing directly at them and then we'll see the *beep* hit the fan.

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Sometimes fighting this sort of thing only leads to high blood pressure, either sit down,relax and take a beer to try to forget it all to avoid your blood pressure rising, or if it has already given you high blood pressure then make a vey small cut on the end of your finger which will reduce the pressure.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:17 pm

It's very interesting that our nutty neighbour has arrived this weekend and removed his camera. :thumbup:
Perhaps he saw me, remotely as I believe he has remote access to the camera, taking photos of his camera and realised that I was about to denounce him. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Or maybe he is going to fit a bigger one, that oscillates....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Or an obscure hidden camera that you can't see...?

Anyone with knowledge of security cameras will probably protect their property with dummy cameras on view and hidden cameras that you can't see....Like me... :wink:

Regards,
Gordon

eazbak
Resident

Postby eazbak » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:49 am

It might not be a good idea to present in a denuncia a photo you have taken of the front of someone's house and private property as part of a complaint about their camara being an intrusion of privacy.This whole affair could backfire when you are up against this sort of neighbour.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:21 pm

For some reason I was unable to post replies for weeks and I was caught in a catch 22, but finally able to speak here on A.com again!! Any update on this thread?

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:12 am

Well, its taken a year to resolve but we got the result we wanted and expected, with a bit of resilience and a refusal to be bullied by ignorant and abusive people.

To recap.......the neighbours decided to erect IP cameras looking directly onto our property. This is illegal but unfortunately both local and national police weren't interested, so we denounced them to the Spanish Data Protection Agency.

Initially, we thought they were doing nothing, so we contacted them again getting a response stating that they had 12 months to resolve the issue.

12 months later, we have just come home from holidays, to find the resolution waiting for us.

My OH has given me a precis as follows.......

The neighbours didn't collect the registered communication denouncing them, from the agency so police were sent around to deliver it.

At a later date, a private company (expert in this type of thing) was sent to their house along with scientific police to examine their cameras and computers, etc. confirming illegal activity, etc.

It's transpired that images taken by the cameras were not of sufficient quality to identify anyone in them. They were instructed that cameras can only be pointing at their property (in other words pointing inwards and not outwards).

They had further inspections also. Interestingly, no one spoke with us.

But it's excellent news and hopefully the neighbours have learned their lession. Their is a law for everything in Spain, and should the actions of anyone have an impact on my quality of life, I will resolve it by what ever means necessary. Too many people think they can act with impunity.