Felling mature trees

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Tala Orchard
Tourist

Felling mature trees

Postby Tala Orchard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:39 pm

What is the position on felling mature trees is permission required? If it is frowned upon would we be allowed to thin out trees the reason being there are a few trees on the property we are interested in purchasing and it blocks out a large amount of natural sunlight. We were wondering if we could not fell we could remove some of the limbs from the trees.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Phill

Flexo
Resident

Re: Felling mature trees

Postby Flexo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm

I don't think you need a permit yet but soon you will not be able to operate a chainsaw anywhere in the EU without a license. It is not expensive to hire an arborist to handle a tree and it is certainly cheaper than handling eventual property damages. If the tree is close to buildings, don't even think about cutting it unless you are educated.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:51 pm

It depends on the trees. Oaks and olives are protected, I think carob as well. Thinning a tree is permitted. As for needing a licence and using a chainsaw, that's nonsense. If you know what you are doing then a chainsaw is as safe as a measuring tape.

I brought down a 40 foot false pepper tree last week in a courtyard. It dropped within a foot of where I wanted it. I've never been trained in the use of a chainsaw, but I do possess a load of common sense.

Tala Orchard
Tourist

Postby Tala Orchard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Thank you for the replies, felling in the required spot is no problem with both axe and chainsaw, used both to do the job for years, but was told that some local authorities especially in the Altiplano frown on it.

But thanks both of you.

Phill

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Flexo, where did you get that story from, it's piffle !

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Tala is correct ,felling a tree and picking the spot where it falls is easy as long as you follow the safety rules and cut the way the professionals do.
I had a small wood,amongst other things, and dropped trees exactly where I wanted them,very satisfying!

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:As for needing a licence and using a chainsaw, that's nonsense. If you know what you are doing then a chainsaw is as safe as a measuring tape.

I brought down a 40 foot false pepper tree last week in a courtyard. It dropped within a foot of where I wanted it. I've never been trained in the use of a chainsaw, but I do possess a load of common sense.
Like I said, it is permitted now, but soon it won't be. And as a professional I am all for a ban on using chainsaws without a license. I have seen what happens.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Depends which area. In Elviria Marbella Pine trees are protected. A few Developers managed to lop them but an English friend was fined €6000 for felling just 3. Best to check at your local Ayuntamiento.

http://www.malagahoy.es/article/provinc ... pinos.html

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:18 pm

It depends on the tree here, as well. Encinas are not allowed to be cut without a permit and a 'tree man' from the Junta comes to inspect and advise. It seems reasonable.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:42 am

I thought Franco's blanket " can't cut any down without permission " still existed ?
Todos somos Lorca.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:18 am

Ten years ago, we paid 100 euros for a licence to fell a giant tree, too close to the house.It took a month to get the permission.
It wasn't a protected species - from New Zealand I think.
A friend who is president of an urbanisation, also had to get a licence to remove trees in the streets.