NIE renewal

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
farmgirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

NIE renewal

Postby farmgirl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:22 am

Stupidly thought my NIE was for life. Been using it as ID since coming here in 2003. Anyone know where in Sevilla I go to renew and what I need. The form seems to be EX 18 but not completely sure.
Elaine

Trooperman
Resident

Re: NIE renewal

Postby Trooperman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 am

Others more qualified will be along soon, but your NIE IS for life, it's just the plastic card that you had in 2003 has expired. Go to the National Police station that serves your area (Sevilla?) with all your ID documents and you'll get a current document but not a convenient plastic card.
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:47 am

How can you use an NIE as ID? It has no photo on it. Do you mean the old "residencia" card?

That expires after 5 years and has now been replaced with a green form/card which you get by registering on the new register of EU foreigners. That new form does not expire and only needs replacing if you change address.

Sid

farmgirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby farmgirl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks. It is the old residentia card with fingerprint and photo. Very convenient for years for photo ID! They changed to paper the following year. Is it the EX18 I need to complete? Very confusing looking online as so much info is out of date.
Elaine

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:52 am

If it is the old "residencia" card with your photo on it, then in theory you should hand it in when getting your new form.
However I "lost" mine so could not hand it in.
I still use it for identification and it is accepted in most places in spite of it being many years out of date.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:08 am

Yes, it's the EX18. As you are already registered as a resident, you "should" not need to provide the usual proof of income and healthcare, but I have heard of one case where it was (incorrectly) required.

Sid

farmgirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby farmgirl » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:45 am

Thanks. Going for it tomorrow. Wish me luck. LOL!
Elaine

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:30 pm

We have added a small photo to the back of our green residencia 'cards', and laminated them. A reasonably durable result that has been accepted without problem, even by the Guardia. A shame the old photocards were ditched.
Chris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:20 pm

gerryh wrote:If it is the old "residencia" card with your photo on it, then in theory you should hand it in when getting your new form.
However I "lost" mine so could not hand it in.
I still use it for identification and it is accepted in most places in spite of it being many years out of date.
Cheers
Gerry

Ditto ... although our old cards were never requested when we renewed our residencia. There will come a time that people will notice that I am just a bit older than in that photo though ...... :(

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:01 pm

A neighbour of ours got her wallet and cards stolen. While awaiting replacements, she used her then dog licence card for ID, and had no problems with it being accepted. She insists that it carried her picture, and not one of the dog!
Chris

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:20 am

farmgirl wrote:Thanks. Going for it tomorrow. Wish me luck. LOL!

How did you get on?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

farmgirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby farmgirl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:29 am

Told me I need money in the bank and private health insurance as I am not in receipt of a pension! Wasted journey. Have a private work pension which starts next November so going to wait until then. Been using the card all the time anyway without problems. The number will be the same on renewal and the man on the desk didn't see it as an issue! Spanish shrug ensued!
Elaine

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:03 am

That doesn't sound right. If you have been living here since 2003, you are already a resident. As far as I remember the requirement to go back to renew changed because reapplying was against EU rules.

As it is, the paper or card they give can't be use as ID because we have to use ID issued by our own EU country, which in the UK and Ireland's case is a passports.

The only time I've been asked for the green document is when I'm dealing with social security.

farmgirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby farmgirl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:47 am

I hate that I keep getting conflicting info. Seems to be the way here! Drives me insane. Left hand ne er knows what the right is going.
Elaine

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Also seeing as you have had residencia since 2003 you are also intitled to free spanish nhs healthcare.suggest contacting citizens advice b spain. They have a website with all the actual laws and will help you sort out what you need as you are just exchanging for the upto date green card

farmgirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby farmgirl » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Thanks.
Elaine

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:46 pm

farmgirl wrote:I hate that I keep getting conflicting info. Seems to be the way here! Drives me insane. Left hand never knows what the right is going.
Yep, number 10 on my reasons to move back to the UK!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Of course, not having to reapply for residence will depend on the fact you have been a permanent resident since 2003 and you haven't returned to the UK to live during the past 13 years.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:59 pm

farmgirl wrote:I hate that I keep getting conflicting info. Seems to be the way here! Drives me insane. Left hand ne er knows what the right is going.
I'm sure we can all relate to that! One option might be to try going to a different place (national police station with a 'foreigners' department) if that's practical. I've had 'variable' responses from different offices in the past.

Good luck, and don't let it get you down - best to adopt the Spanish shrug I reckon. :-)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 pm

Sometimes it's even simpler. Go back and make sure you see a different disfunctionario - they all seem to have a different set of rules!

Sid