Spanish Hacienda & Double Taxation Agreements

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
pensure1988
Resident

Spanish Hacienda & Double Taxation Agreements

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 pm

I hear the Hacienda in Spain is targeting Expat Taxpayers who paid Tax for 2014. Some Residents have been getting letters requesting they pay back the allowance that was allowed for Double Taxation Agreements in 2014. I received a letter asking me to provide documentary proof for my Tax paid in South Africa on my Pension Paid there. I believe the allowances in this respect are being disallowed for the 2014 Tax year..

Has any other Andalucian Forum Member had any similar correspondence in this regard, Surely this not legal under EU Law. What legal avenues are available to us Expats to protest this interference from the Spanish Hacienda.

Thank You

Nigel

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Hacienda & Double Taxation Agreements

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:56 pm

I don't have the DTA available for South Africa, but generally, you pay tax in Spain on a pension paid from another country (UK government pensions excepted).

Just because the country paying the pension taxes it does not necessarily mean that it is not taxed in Spain.

Many UK expats receiving a UK pension, taxed in the UK, have erroneously assumed that it would not be taxed in Spain.

I do not understand what you mean by "interference" by Hacienda. They are entitled to ask you to pay Spanish tax on your world wide income if you are a resident of Spain.

Sid