Power of Attorney

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Power of Attorney

Postby firsttango » Sun May 14, 2017 2:31 pm

I am going to the Notary in Nerja on Tuesday as my elderly mother is handing me "Power of Attorney". Any advice welcomed, is it straight forward and roughly what is the Notary fee.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Power of Attorney

Postby chrissiehope » Sun May 14, 2017 10:53 pm

Sorry no idea about Spain - I only know UK. Do they have 2 separate Powers like in UK (Health & Welfare, Finance & Property) ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon May 15, 2017 8:16 am

Not sure if you live in Spain full time but a friend of mine did it via the Spanish embassy in the UK.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon May 15, 2017 10:29 am

There are at least 2 types. It was quite easy to do ourselves (speaking Spanish of course). There is a "Poder general" which covers every type of legal process possible. There are also conditional powers which can cover powers to sell a house or deal with utility companies, etc.
You will need passports, residency certificates and possibly other paperwork (can't remember now!) to get this done.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks for that, we will be doing the all encompassing one and will be armed with every conceivable bit of paperwork required in quadruplicate :D

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Mon May 15, 2017 9:54 pm

In Ireland you need to have the person (mother in your case) undergo a test with her GP to ensure she fully understands whats happening. This involves some general knowledge questions and some maths questions. This shows if she is mentally all there. The doctor then signs a form to show the results. Then on to the solicitor where he again explains to the person whats happening. After all that the solicitor must write to any siblings you may have to alert them to the Power of Attorney. All this makes sure that it can't be challenged at a later stage.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu May 18, 2017 2:32 pm

All sorted and thankfully No GP'S or Solicitors involved. In fact very straightforward and easy. Turned up at Notary with Mother and Her bank manager/friend of many years who was there to translate and witness for us. Took passports and Residencia, all in all the entire process took 45 mins total and cost a princely 78.16€.
Then went to her other bank to give them a copy and introduce myself only to discover she has had a safety deposit box with them for many years which she had completely forgotten about, but thats a whole other story