Getting Spanish Citizenship

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Unicorn
Resident

Getting Spanish Citizenship

Postby Unicorn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi there :wave: :wave:

Does anyone know how long it takes to get Spanish citizenship?

I've passed the citizenship exam (phew :crazy: ) and am doing the Spanish language exam next Friday .
I then need a few other documents, but, having collected them together, I would be interested to know how long the whole thing takes.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting Spanish Citizenship

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:54 pm

I have read that it can takes years to complete the process. There has been a huge increase in applications so the timescale is getting worse. They are recruiting more staff but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Why do you want Spanish citizenship?

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:08 am

Well Sid

I just want to get all my ducks in a row.

My whole life is here in Spain and I have no wish at all to return to UK. It may be easier in the long run to get a Spanish passport so just keeping options open.

Unicorn

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 pm

Unicorn wrote:Hi there :wave: :wave:

Does anyone know how long it takes to get Spanish citizenship?

I've passed the citizenship exam (phew :crazy: ) and am doing the Spanish language exam next Friday .
I then need a few other documents, but, having collected them together, I would be interested to know how long the whole thing takes.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hi Unicorn, I hope you're experience and result is a good one however, If I may ask, why did you choose to do this, what would be the long term benefits for you after going through what appears to be a lengthy process ?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:56 pm

The B word!?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Unless i'm missing something then i don't know why people wish to jump through hoops to change their citizenship. Maybe it's that word confidence or rather lack of in how things will pan out after brexit...although they have said that residents will have the right to remain..this being the case then why give up having the best of both and the choice to return to the Uk if you ever wish to..even if you think or know you never will..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:18 am

Taking Spanish citizenship makes no difference to your ability to go back to the UK. The UK does not accept that you have renounced your UK citizenship.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Ok, so that answers my question as to why anyone would wish to make such a big decision.

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:26 pm

They have said you can stay, but have not said that all the benefits you have now, such as free healthcare will still be available.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 pm

El Cid wrote:Taking Spanish citizenship makes no difference to your ability to go back to the UK. The UK does not accept that you have renounced your UK citizenship.

Sid
That was the case but no longer, I looked into this recently and the advice is clear as day. The UK does accept renunciation and it does affect your right to live in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality

If you change your mind, you can re-apply: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-rs1

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:33 pm

I was thrown with Sid's reply because i thought the rules on denouncing your British nationality had changed from many years ago but because i was unsure i thought i must have got it wrong.
My grandsons have both Japanese and English nationalities but before they both become 22yrs old they must decide which nationality they wish to take or rather which one they are going to drop. Quite sad really having to make those choices.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:43 pm

I too have no clue why anyone would want to change citizen status, The brexit thing is not a valid reason because in the future things could change for the worse in Spain so long term there is no gain, if You're British you always will be !

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:01 pm

Manchesteral wrote:I too have no clue why anyone would want to change citizen status, The brexit thing is not a valid reason because in the future things could change for the worse in Spain so long term there is no gain, if You're British you always will be !
Quite true!!! MOH has been in the Uk for 38 yrs and no amount of time will ever make him British.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14 pm

alpineSi wrote:
El Cid wrote:Taking Spanish citizenship makes no difference to your ability to go back to the UK. The UK does not accept that you have renounced your UK citizenship.

Sid
That was the case but no longer, I looked into this recently and the advice is clear as day. The UK does accept renunciation and it does affect your right to live in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/renounce-british-nationality

If you change your mind, you can re-apply: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-rs1
Yes, you can renounce your British citizenship, but it is a process you need to initiate in the UK. Renouncing your citizenship before a Spanish judge does not count and you retain UK citizenship unless you specifically choose to renounce it. If not you have dual citizenship in the eyes of the UK law. The only thing that you must not do is use your UK passport in Spain or in any other way claim to have UK citizenship.

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi guys

I am really waiting to see what happens, but I thought it just as well to have the exams done. My understanding is that you renounce UK citizenship in Spain but you don't have to do that in the UK, as Sid says.

But my life is here, I have zero desire to return to UK. I went back last year for a few days and that sort of confirmed it. The only worry is healthcare as I'm not retired and have mine re the 2012 EU status.I do have Sanitas but you do need the belt and braces of the state healthcare which, I have to say, is excellent.

It is really a waiting game.

Cheers

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Manchesteral wrote:I too have no clue why anyone would want to change citizen status, The brexit thing is not a valid reason because in the future things could change for the worse in Spain so long term there is no gain, if You're British you always will be !
To vote in national elections, to stand for election, to join the police or army, to show that you've fully integrated and committed to your new home. Just some reasons I think would be valid.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:16 pm

El Cid wrote:Renouncing your citizenship before a Spanish judge does not count and you retain UK citizenship unless you specifically choose to renounce it
The UK will issue a certificate of renunciation now so if not already done it may not be long before the Spanish forgo the swearing in front of a judge method and just ask to see that certificate. They love paperwork anyway so I can't see why they wouldn't.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Spain does allow dual citizenship for some countries, but not the UK. That could change as they would seem happy that more Brits seem to want to take out citizenship. They are recruiting more staff to deal with the large backlog of applications.

Personally, the only tangible advantage I can see it that Spanish ID cards only cost €10 and passports are not much more!

Sid