Dual Euro state nationality

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Manchesteral
Resident

Dual Euro state nationality

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:22 pm

A question has arisen within my circle of multinational friends in Gran Canaria to which I (nor anyone else) knows the answer.

If one is a British national and yet has dual nationality within another E U state how will Brexit affect his dual nationality ? an ambiguous question I know but does anyone have any views on this ?

My colleague was born and bred in Britain of British parentage but has also Finnish Nationalty !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dual Euro state nationality

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm

I suppose for ease he will use his Finland passport. Seems the way forward for ease of travel.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes, he will do this but will he be viewed by the Spanish authorities as British or Finnish, he is registered within Spanish data bases as British, he's visited his Finnish embassy and currently waiting for a definitive answer, I posted this in order to see if anyone knew or knew of someone in this situation as there cannot be many !

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:32 pm

My wife and son have "right of blood" to Italian citizenship. Holding this in reserve in case things turn out very awkward. I don't have any expertise other than reading up, but a Shengen passport (which includes Norway, ironically) holds advantages that might be useful.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Depends what nationality he registared under for his residencia presuming hes legal. If he registared with his uk passport hes in the same boat. Registared with finnish carry on as norm. As you say hes registared as british then to avoid brexit problems he needs to change his details on his residencia.Some people have changed their nationality on their residencia one member on here a few weeks back. Mainly brits to irish to avoid brexit probs

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:51 pm

I would have thought if you have dual nationality..ie eu nationality then brexit or no brexit wouldn't make one bit of difference..

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 pm

There is already the situation in Northern Ireland where an Irish resident of the Province has more rights in some cases as an EU citizen than a British one would. This has caused some complications for dual citizens there (as everyone is entitled to be) such as this woman, so it's not difficult to imagine there being complications elsewhere.

Personally I think that as foreigners in Spain it will depend, as mentioned above, on what you're registered as with the Policia and recorded on the padron and INE census. If British, the OP's friend will lose EU election voting rights etc granted to EU citizens, and maybe additional rights regarding work and recognition of qualifications. We don't know any of the latter yet but I have the letter from the INE confirming the voting part, so it's not just 'bar chat'. If Finnish, he presumably doesn't have to worry about any of it.

Obviously when travelling he can just use the Finnish passport to skip the queue of Brits, but it's with regard to more day-to-day tasks that I think the distinction will be more important. I'm one of those who modified their nationality registration to Irish. It was rather painless but it's causing some complication with my Digital Certificate and Cl@ve access, so I think I'll have to re-apply for those.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:08 am

To clarify, he obtained an N I E some years ago as a British citizen before getting his Finnish nationality, this is his concern, apparently he will have some answers before the end of the week.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:33 am

Do you mean NIE or residencia. As some think its the same thing. What did put on his residencia application.

Like above he could use his finish passport to avoid ques at the airport. But if he registared as a brit he will need to get the new ID card etc etc

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 am

N I E, He is not resident but like me a frequent visitor, he lives, mostly, in Finland.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:35 pm

In that case, I don't think it's such an issue? The NIE, as a number, sticks with you but my piece of paper was only worthwhile for 3 months. I had one issued in 2001 for property paperwork and brought it along for a fresh one in Dec 2017. The guy at the desk said, "You don't really need a new paper" to which I replied, "I'm buying a car." In which case, he agreed I did. I don't know if putting "Finlandia" in nacionalidad on the EX15 when previously "Reino Unido" had been put would cause the cogs to crunch, but it's worth finding out.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Are you getting confused with the Padron paper?
The NIE paper is for life. I've never needed, or had, a new one in the 15 years I've lived here.
The paper issued to say you have signed onto the Padron and do, in fact, live in Spain is usually only valid for 3 months.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:01 pm

As has been mentioned in a previous posting, if you have dual nationality, (one of which is an EU on), and you wish to remain an EU citizen, you will need to get your Residencia updated to show your EU citizenship.
I am in the process of applying for an Irish Passport. My parents were Irish, and therefore I am automatically an Irish Citizen. So will need to change my nationality on the Residencia from British to Irish.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Manchesteral wrote:N I E, He is not resident but like me a frequent visitor, he lives, mostly, in Finland.

Then nothing changes. Anyone can get an NIE. he doesnt live in spain just comes on holidays so he uses his finnish passport to gain entry and thats it. Only issue maybe if i presume he owns property? When he comes to sell there maybe different rules interms of taxes for non eu. Although i think heritance laws were changed a while back interms of e.u /non as they were prejudicing non e u

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:58 am

Correct, elusive. I inherited my place - I bought it off my father but he preferred it that way and I didn't want to argue about it - and paid a higher tax than a Spanish resident would. This rule was challenged and declared contrary to EU rules. Consequently, many were entitled to claim the tax back (but, as happens always to me, I was timed out). I would be incredibly unsurprised if the higher inheritance tax rate applied to UK-resident inheritors after 29/3 (thinking of Cyprus' attempted savings account grab only thwarted by EU law) and that's something to think about if one's assets are here but beneficiaries resident in UK. Purchase taxes and CGT might also change for non-EU residents in the future if this small detail is not included in an agreement.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Update : All he needs to do is change his nationality on his N I E registration and only use his Finnish passport for travelling within E U, no problem :-)