Certifying proof of ID and address

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Certifying proof of ID and address

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:37 pm

Our UK solicitor wants us to get copies of our passports and proofs of address certified here 'by a practicing solicitor'. We don't use a solicitor here, only a gestor, and she isn't available next week anyway. It's been suggested we go to the Notary to get it done. The one that did our wills was very good and so we hope to call in tomorrow. I'm now wondering if that's going to be something we need an appointment for and will take ages to get done. Has anyone paid an abogado to do certifications, as I just wondered if they'd be really expensive to photocopy and certify 5 items? We need it done asap really. In the past the bank did it for free but that isn't acceptable (plus our local and helpful branch has shut :roll: ).

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Certifying proof of ID and address

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:09 pm

I needed one some time ago and called a local lawyer. They wanted €200.

You can imagine what I said. Local pharmacist did it for nothing.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:25 pm

do it tomorrow but check if they are open - Constitution Day this week and the usual long bridge....
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:35 pm

I guessed the lawyer would be pricy Sid. I've avoided using one all the time I've been here for that reason! The Notary only charged 38€ to complete a will a few years back.

I will ring beforehand Peter. Hopefully he'll be open at least Monday and Tuesday.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:36 pm

Our gestor said I have to charge 50 euros a sheet. It is very expensive he said instead of saying , it is only a stamp and signature and you are such valuable customers, I will do it all for only this amount. More dissatisfaction.

I have another one I need to do, I like the chemist one. I could take her a hamper.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:44 pm

I rang the notary this morning and confirmed that they could do them today. We dropped them off and went back an hour later. They photocopied and certified both passports, two bank statements (both sides copied and a separate sheet with the certification) and a coucil tax bill (both sides plus a separate sheet for the certification). I thought they'd just stamp it but it's been all typed out officially saying it's a true copy etc (in Spanish which I hope they'll accept!) with loads of stamps stuck on and all signed.

So, 8 photocopies and 5 certificates in all for 20.39€.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:34 pm

Result! :thumbup:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:47 pm

El Cid wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:09 pm I needed one some time ago and called a local lawyer. They wanted €200.

You can imagine what I said. Local pharmacist did it for nothing.

Sid
Your bank will also be happy to do it for you !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:50 pm

olive wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:36 pm Our gestor said I have to charge 50 euros a sheet. It is very expensive he said instead of saying , it is only a stamp and signature and you are such valuable customers, I will do it all for only this amount. More dissatisfaction.

I have another one I need to do, I like the chemist one. I could take her a hamper.
As I poited out ib Sids post, if you have a bank account in Spain they will be happy to do it for you !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:34 am

In our case on this occasion they had to be certified by a 'practicing solicitor', so the notary did a good job for a low price. In previous cases we had a choice of people who could certify documents, such as a teacher or doctor, so a bank may have been sufficient for that.