Tarjeta de invitacion

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Trooperman
Resident

Tarjeta de invitacion

Postby Trooperman » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:35 pm

I've just been made aware of this document and the "need" for any non-EU visitor/non-Shengen visitor to prove they have somewhere to stay whilst visiting Spain.

I further understand that it has been the law for some years now.

Has anyone had experience of the operation of this law?

I'm also told that this tarjeta is not needed if the visitor (with or without any necessary VISA) is staying in an hotel, hostel or other "approved" lodging but that it will apply to persons, friends and family visiting either their own holiday home or someone else's home not in the "approved" category.

It was suggested that a way around this legislation (and I believe obtaining the tarjeta from the National Police will cost about 70 euros) is to make a cancellable booking via, say, Booking.com and then do just that: cancel the booking, but retain the downloaded booking to show the border police.

I could go on at length about a government shooting itself in the foot and destroying the tourist trade, but I'll resist that temptation whilst I hear from the practical members of this site!
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Tarjeta de invitacion

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:03 pm

Yes, it's been the law for some time, but only since Brexit does it apply to UK visitors.

The need to produce it is down to the specific border control official who I doubt would ask for it unless there were other reasons to doubt the visitor's motives for entering Spain. If it was a frequent occurrence, it would have been all over the UK press, especially bearing in mind the cost of getting one.

There may be exceptions to this where it is enforced, the Gibraltar border springs to mind, but if it was being asked for at Málaga airport, the resultant queues would bring border control to a complete halt.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:11 pm

Hi,

"the Gibraltar border springs to mind"............ Sid hit that one on the head, Mrs E was checked on her last trip to Gibraltar from Spain.

Will depend also if a jobs worth is on Duty and is doing the checks.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:31 pm

It is of course a way of collecting info on who may be indulging in a bit of untaxed unregistered b&b...
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:04 pm

My opinion, FWIW, is that it's an old rule, rarely used apart from the occasional dodgy looking visitor, the existence of which has surfaced in some expat sources after Brexit and is best ignored (unless you are inviting one of the dodgy types!).

Sid