Sky viewing card

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
jane grant

Sky viewing card

Postby jane grant » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:58 am

Having a problem with my sky card (free to view version). For the last couple of days when we try and turn over to channel 4 or 5 a message is coming up saying there is a problem with the card and to consult the supplier. However, removing it and reinserting it solves this, and once done it is happy to change channels. - till you put the box on standyby and it happens again! Would a simple re-boot of the system clear this, or do I need a new card?

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:21 am

Just for information it is illegal to have SKY in Spain so be careful who you ask. :wink:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:52 am

Dealer - it is not illegal, merely that Sky have no licence to operate outside the UK, so they are obliged to cancel cards etc if they "know" that they are being used to view outside their area. In any case, I have always been advised to leave a Sky box on, not keep putting it into standby. I don't think there would be much difference in running costs. The problem is that there are still power cuts, unless of course you invest in a UPS!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:32 pm

peteroldracer wrote:Dealer - it is not illegal, merely that Sky have no licence to operate outside the UK, so they are obliged to cancel cards etc if they "know" that they are being used to view outside their area. In any case, I have always been advised to leave a Sky box on, not keep putting it into standby. I don't think there would be much difference in running costs. The problem is that there are still power cuts, unless of course you invest in a UPS!
What is the word I am looking for 'pedantic' I lad that be the word!

Would you not agree that one has to be careful who on asks re SKY cards? :shock:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:50 pm

nd I thought a 'pedant' was an insect with only one leg! As long as you don't contact Sky you will be OK. 'Illegal' suggests there is a risk of joining all those planners and politicians from Marbella in the pokey! :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:54 pm

New to me this one.....................every magazine and newspaper is wall to wall adverts for SKY......what is the actual definitive ruling on this?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:33 pm

It's pretty straightforward.

You are free to buy and use a Sky Digibox anywhere you like if you have paid for it in full and it was not a special subsidised offer from Sky.

If you sign a Sky contract for the provision of a card you agree that you will only use it at your address in the UK. If you do use it in Spain you are in breach of your contract with Sky. That is a civil matter and is not "illegal" in the conventional sense.

If you are in breach of your contract Sky will take action as stated in the contract which is to terminate your viewing card.

Sid

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:16 pm

Say, for example that someone had the Sky+ package in the UK but wanted to take it to Spain for Christmas to temporarily replace the free to air system would it have to be the main box (the one that records) or the spare one in the kitchen?

I realise that one couldn't actually record but more channels would be available.

All hypothetical of course.

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:04 am

OK Legal or not, anyone any ideas why the card is playing up?

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Well maybe ..... many years ago we had a similar problem (in the Uk I hasten to add) and it was the gold chip that was the problem ... for a while it would work if you took the card out and gave the chip a good clean with a soft cloth but after a while even that stopped working and we had to get a new card from sky. :cry:

Currently sorting out a 'sky thing' for myself at the moment and things have changed since July here so it is not as cheap or as easy as it used to be!! Typical! :(

Busymum
I keep child proofing my house but the little blighters still get in!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:05 pm

a sky thing? its only €299 installed now?? we paid €599 8 years ago.

you can probably get it cheaper if you buy all the bits yourself etc and fit it and just get someone else to align it.

re the card :

is it only doing it on 4 and 5 ? or any channel ? does the box react the same if you remove the card (you wont get 4 or 5 while the card is out).

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:12 pm

Well the problem is the card .... if you have an English address it is no problem but if you don't it is more difficult and more expensive as you need to buy the card and an address so I am told .... I didn't have to do this before ..... my sitaution is complicated but my 'family' here now needs two cards and two subscriptions.

Busymum
I keep child proofing my house but the little blighters still get in!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:00 am

busy...we have the sky sports package :cry:
and all we needed was uk bank details,and it was all set up on our behalf.
:lol: :lol:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:44 am

IMO, it's better if you arrange your SKY card yourself using a genuine U.K. address, perhaps that of a family member who doesn't have SKY - yes, there are folk who don't!
The card will be sent to that address and will normally have the TV region relating to that address set as default. Your card can then be sent on to you for use here.
This gets around the problem of many, many cards being issued to one address, which is the usual way suppliers of cards on the coast are able to have them in stock for immediate sale.
Their fees for such a simple operation can be high and there is always the danger of SKY sussing out the multiple issues to the one address and switching off all cards issued to it!
This is how we did it: in six years of use we have never had a problem with SKY administration - the signal strength is another matter, though!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:27 pm

pmf wrote:
Their fees for such a simple operation can be high
there were no extra fees for doing it this way.

pmf wrote [/quote]in six years of use we have never had a problem with SKY administration[/quote]

In 3.5 years we have never had any problems either. :D

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:17 pm

I bought my sky card off ebay. It works perfectly but was from tyneside so the default BBC station is BBC Tyneside.

Is there any way of changing the default station.?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi-ours is set on bbc london-hubby just goes anywhere from channel 974 upwards to find different bbc regions...not quite sure how to install or change it tho..

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 pm

We have set the regional BBC station we want on 'favorites' they all seem to be available - but I cannot find a choice of ITV local regional stations. Anyone know how to find them?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:03 pm

laslomas i have pm·d you some codes.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:09 pm