Exporting a car

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Exporting a car

Postby palmtrees » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:28 am

No, not from the UK to Spain, but from Spain.

We've got a Spanish-plated vehicle that we are looking at putting onto Gib plates. I'm sure I've read something in "Living in Spain" or similar about what you need to do to export from Spain.

Unfortunately I'm in Gib right now and my book is in Spain :( . Does anyone know the answer?

(Hope this is in the right section BTW.)

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 am

I think you have to be resident in Gib to register your car there, not 100% sure though!
Ah! the full english!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am

I can't help with the Gib end but to export a car from Spain have a look at this page:-

http://www.dgt.es/tramites/vehiculos/pd ... aslado.pdf

Sid

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Wow, thanks very much for those fast responses.

Retro P - yes you're right, you do need to be resident in gib to import a coche. My partner's already got his residencia here as he's got a permanent contract (well, until it ends of course :roll: ,) so it makes sense to import the vehicle too. It wasn't planned, it just sort of happened, so we've checked the Gib end and that is straightforward.

I suddenly realised you probably have to do something from the Spanish end hence the question. So thanks El Cid, that is probably what I am looking for. Needless to state it looks more complicated than the procedure at the Gib end. Sigh.

Thanks again both.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:07 pm

all i know is that you have to be resident, well.. you have to have an address in gib to transfer it to. (my mate who lives in the uk but co-owns a van in gib with a woman who lives in gib.)

i *think* you have to "baja" it in spain so that you no longer have to pay road tax etc for it here.

Don

Postby Don » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:30 am

Indeed you do have to formally get the car off the Spanish register or you will continue to be liable for taxes. A colleague scrapped a car but at that time he didnt have his NIE, only an old NIF, and although the system half accepted the sale to the scrapyard, the tax system needed a NIE against which to record the cessation of tax liability. Needless to say it wasnt until the tax demand the following year when it became clear that things had not all gone through and then it took some more months to sort it out.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 am

I thought your NIE was the same as your NIF and vice versa!
Ah! the full english!!

Don

Postby Don » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:47 am

Many years back Retro, the procedure to get a NIE was very long winded (months) and some of us got NIFs from the Hacienda in 10 minutes and this worked fine for years to buy cars etc. When I bought another new car last year, most of the "actors" again accepted the NIF but trafico wouldnt, insisting on a NIE. By this time they had put into place a quicker route to getting a NIE so I now have a NIF and a NIE with different numbers. NIF issued by Hacienda and NIE issued by Oficina de Extranjaneros. I told the latter that I already had a NIF but they were not interested and issued a new number anyway. When it came down to it, I didnt see any purpose in arguing with the agent who was about to issue my NIE. He seemed to indicate something along the lines of "******** Hacienda do what they want". Que sera.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:37 am

Hi,i dont know the exporting answer to your question about spanish to gib plated.
I do know that you have to have a Gibraltar resident card to drive a gib plated vehicle-if you go from gib to spain through the border by car-and the spanish border guards stop you and ask you produce your gib id card-if this is not shown your car will be took from you.My husband has had work colleages that this has happened to.
To have a Gib id card you need a gib address.(they will check up on you ,that you do live there)so be warned. :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:06 pm

I can appreciate that this helps reduce the amount of cars nicked in Gib, then driven over the border to escape into Europe, but what if some holidaymaker has a hire car from Gib - are they trapped on the Rock ?!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 pm

Don wrote: so I now have a NIF and a NIE with different numbers.

We have a NIF and NIE and both have the same number.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:37 pm

I don't know if they do car hire in Gib? The hire cars usually are waiting outside the border in Spain.
Years ago before we lived here, we kept a Gib plated car for holiday use (tourist plates, much cheaper) when Spain joined the EC the car was illegal and we had to have it changed to spanish plates. A gestor did it but it took ages and was expensive.

Don

Postby Don » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:11 pm

That is what I was expecting, or hoping for, Bongtrees.
For Spanish nationals they have one ID number which just about covers everything. For example, when they renew a passport they keep the same number as before whereas when we renew a British passport we get a new number. They are issued with a DNI/NIF number which stays with them for all fiscal matters. The issuing of NIE, residencia etc etc has changed a lot here for non-Spaniards but now seems to be settling down for the future although we cant go easily go back and fix things which were done differently some years back. Just read the number of threads and questions over escrituras to see how much of a minefield that seems to be.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:18 pm

they do, do car hire in Gib-one is next to the airport,and the other is further into gib near the sundial roundabout.not sure if the cars are spansih or gib plated tho...have never looked...i suppose they couldnt be spanish plated with the company being registered in Gib..
We hired one from the hire company next to the gib airport,to take my mum back to malaga airport-and im sure the car was spanish plated.
otherwise if they were gib plated being took into spain,surely they also run the risk of being vandalised...
I will have to look into that one..
I also know that if you have a gib plated car-you can up the rock for free-
yippeeee..spanish plated cars have to pay! :roll:
would rather save my money and not go...full of locals up there anyway! :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Don in a way the DNI number is similar to the UK National Insurance one as you do have that for life.

Don

Postby Don » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:16 pm

This is true Katy, but for brits in Spain, does our UK NI number have any meaning for us or the Spanish authorities ?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Nah no meaning for the spanish. Has some meaning for me though, hope to draw on my OAP one day 8)

Don

Postby Don » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:24 pm

OK, thats also a point, although I am not sure if I have enough years UK contribution to get a pension and if so whether it would be worth it but then in retirement, every euro-cent counts and if you are entitled to it then you should get it.

So long as they dont spend 78 pence on stamps for sending me a cheque for 50 pence.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:19 pm

princess peach wrote:I do know that you have to have a Gibraltar resident card to drive a gib plated vehicle

To have a Gib id card you need a gib address.(they will check up on you ,that you do live there)so be warned. :wink:

he has a photocopy, a single a4 sheet, containing her passport, her gib resident card and written permission to drive the vehicle. he's been stopped, shown them this and waved on before.

has the law recently changed?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Don wrote:although I am not sure if I have enough years UK contribution to get a pension
think theres a website that you can do a "pension projection plan" or something on ?