Priority boarding scam

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
fizzbang
Andalucia.com Amigo

Priority boarding scam

Postby fizzbang » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:32 am

What are your views on this Ryanairs new priority boarding...We all know that pretty much everyone is going to take it to avoid the mad bundle...so now if you don't, you'll end up having to go to the back of the queue...easy money in my view.

Particularly hard on large parties who end up having to spread out around the flight....ohh, I forgot..most people here don't really care.....rant over..*waits for backlash*

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:17 pm

Non allocation of seats at check in is a dreary practice. It brings out the worst in people at the boarding gate. Treat people like cattle and they will likely behave like them. Priority boarding is just taking it a step further in order to con a few extra quid. Much better, in my opinion, to add a couple of extra pounds to the ticket price and give you seats at check in like any civilised airline. After all its just another line of code on the software.
Grouser

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Yes, I agree. Never used Ryanair but I am sure if I paid for priority boarding at the last minute I would either get a fat guy or a pesky kid sit next to me. I prefer to board last anyway and really on a 2 to 3 hour flight I don't care where I sit.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:51 pm

Maybe it's just me.....(it annoys OH anyway), but I am a fussy flier.
I rarely get a bargain as I like to sit on certain seats only, and I like to reserve them online.

I also want flights that get me into Spain at lunchtime as I don't fancy grovelling about in the middle of the night......I won't compromise

I also like my flight to get back to the UK mid afternoon-ish........I won't compromise.

This rules me out of all the £2.99 flights but I can live with that.......as the old saying goes you pay for what you get, and you ain't going to get Emirates service on a low cost cattle plane, so therefore can't really moan about it.

Kenny

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:56 pm

I am fussy about location and time, don't do unsocial hours. I like flights I can check in online

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:08 pm

I flew Ryanair 2 weeks ago from Liverpool to Alicante. I paid extra for the priority boarding and I reckon only about 20% of the passengers had priority boarding. First time with Ryanair for me and no problems whatsoever - I would use them again.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:20 pm

katy wrote:I am fussy about location and time, don't do unsocial hours. I like flights I can check in online
Like you, I normally end up paying over the odds to fly at a reasonable time and from a reasonable place. I'm not quite as strict as Kenny, flying out in the morning at a reasonable time is fine with me, but you can forget 0500 flights and getting anywhere after about 8 in the evening. As for a seat, don't care, anywhere will do. Even if you prebook as a couple, one of you could end up next to a screaming kid! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:26 pm

It's hardly a scam. They tell you up front that if you want to book specific seats or board the plane early to choose your seats you will be charged extra. If you don't mind where you sit you don't pay. I feel that on a journey of less than three hours it ain't important. a couple of paragraphs of a book, a quick snooze, a cup of coffee and you're there.
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

fizzbang
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fizzbang » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 pm

For someone over 6 foot...trust me, to be in with a chance to of getting an Emergency exit door seat is a must..3 hours with your legs round your ears ani't pleasant..at least with Monarch I could pre book those seats and not suffer major cramp aswell as leasurely take my seat...I am dreading the thought of having to club and beat old people to a seat...They never seem to go down, regardless of how many blows to the head you give them :) (joking by the way..but it is not a million miles from the truth..it's bloody on those flights.).

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:11 pm

easyjet from malaga last week to luton, all the the priority boarders went thru 1st and then found out we were on a bus over to the plane, line a then b then got on the bus and off we went across the airport to the bus, bus stops and doors open and everyone gets off together and rushes over to the plane. some very unhappy speedy boarders. I laughed like hell (to myself ). thats a classic case of the system not working.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:20 pm

I don't see what is so wrong with trying to ensure that you get a row of seats together - especially when like us you have a 2 year-old to manage throughout the flight - we do our best to stop him annoying others!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:40 pm

I rarely go back to the UK and have my first trip in 2 years in January. The times of the low-cost flights are OK and I don't mind where I sit, but I do dislike all the extras on top of the flight cost such as 9.20€ for each checked in bag (each way), and 3.20€ to pay by debit card (which always used to be free). I don't mind not paying for food and taking my own (see that other thread!!) but with hand luggage now so restricted, I have to put my tiny bag into the hold as it will have liquids and things in there that I can not carry on as handluggage. Families who need to sit together and tall people seem to be penalised for needing to choose their seats, as mentioned earlier. Luckily, I'm very short and travel alone so I don't feel the need to reserve a seat or have priority boarding :wink:

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 pm

If you only have hand baggage, priority boarding is now free with Ryanair. We use them quite a lot, and although I don't like a scrum and much prefer to choose my seats on line, I can't complain about our experiences with them. Having said that, we flew Granada to Girona with them recently, and since almost everyone only had hand luggage, we all had priority boarding, which defeats the object a bit.

We're flying (for the first time) with Easyjet over Christmas. We've paid for priority boarding both ways (into Bristol, out of East Midlands). We've never been bussed to the plane at Malaga, so I've got my fingers crossed. I've never used East Midlands before, but hopefully it's small enough not to need buses. Certainly the website mentions buses at Malaga but not at EM.

Worst scrum we ever had was with Clickair. They wrote a letter (illegible) on the boarding card, then at the gate, they called out letters in turn. It was pandemonium. I believe that they now allocate seats. I don't really see the advantage of not doing so, but there must be some for Ryanair and Easyjet both to do so.

Got a good deal for Christmas with Avis (though webcarhire). No one way charges, and only £20 for second driver for over 2 weeks - unlike Hertz who charge £9 a day.
AlisonB

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:51 pm

alisonb wrote:
Got a good deal for Christmas with Avis (though webcarhire). No one way charges, and only £20 for second driver for over 2 weeks - unlike Hertz who charge £9 a day.
I would think you have quoted two of the more expensive companies there.
Certainly all the ones I have tried, second driver is free anyway.
Regards, Frank

Anntonio
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Anntonio » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:22 am

Don't mind the cheap flights as I'm on a budget.prob I found is if I book a car for time in UK and have to be at Liverpool airport for 4.30 am for the return, the car hire firms don;t open untill 7 am. Spent a night at the airport a couple of weeks ago and nowts open, not even a coffe machine.and there is only so much of studying John Lennons statue before it starts to talk to you, ho and around 4 seats to get your head down. Any thoughts of car hire as I'm off to UK feb?
Anntonio.
Any other good alternative names for UK airports?

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:43 am

Well, Manchester is a brilliant airport and only 40 minutes by car from the John Lennon airport. You could try that. :)
anyway, anyway, love from me.

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:27 pm

Ref the Easyjet priority booking system, in fairness it does say on the website that you may be bussed to the aircraft and that Easyjet "cannot guarantee you will be first off the bus" I always thought this was a comical way to sell a service, but it seems people do buy it. Extraordinary!!

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:10 pm

I have to agree with what Mijas says. When I've looked at the EasyJet flights just as a comparison to what I've already booked with either BA or latterly Monarch it does say exactly what he says..............i.e you are not guaranteed of your boarding rights even if you pay for the privilege, it's quite up front and honest.....................funnily enough my price checks always make me feel better as "sensible" day time flights with Easyjet are never that much cheaper anyway.

The other point I'd make is that I've on more than one occasion had a debate with people re. the moan about extra costs etc., again I don't rate this as an issue. Monarch are notorious for this as on top of an advertised £40 flight once you add taxes, airport fees, baggage charges pre booking charges etc., the flight costs £100+......................but when you come to pay for it with your card the TOTAL and correct amount is displayed, nobody twists your arm to pay and therefore I can't see why people moan about this, although it would be more sensible just to put the flight in at £100 rather than messing about.

Finally, I have to agree with what Frank always says when the subject of air travel is raised...................flights are still bloody cheap in real terms when you compare it to driving across and at 7 hours door to door I hope it stays that way otherwise a holiday home abroad would be a pain in the bum.

Kenny

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Found this on another site.

Paul says: 'The fare on the website was £2.71 one way, but by the time we added in all the extras, such as passenger service charges at £43.60; airport duty at £10; £20 for seat reservations and baggage charges, plus a number of extra small charges, it ended up costing us £324.

'We had to pay extra to take hold luggage and extra to guarantee seats together. When you are travelling as a family the last thing you want is to be separated.'
Regards, Frank

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:46 pm

They provide a flight, for in some cases, pennies and people still want to complain, perhaps go back to the cartel era? I don't get it. Give em a flight for a penny, a free priorty boarding card, a comfy seat, in flight movie and as much food as they can eat and something will still bother them! Do you want Ryanair to fly you for nothing, will that be ok with you?

It's a game so play it! Ryanair want your cash, you want to try and avoid giving them your cash, it's all up front. I manage to play the game with a family of five.

Coming back from Santander in August, the normal passengers were allowed to board before the priority passengers which I thought was a bit rude but very funny, a sight to behold I can tell you, all that mass whinging :lol: