driving permanently in spain on a uk licence ?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Fundalucia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fundalucia » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:01 pm

I'm still of the opinion that it's much easier to just have a Spanish licence.

After all if you're driving a Spanish registered vehicle, all of it's documents will be in Spanish, and easily recognisable to the Guardia Civil - why not just have a licence that they'll recognise as well?

Apart from the medical requirements everything else is the same, i.e. what types of vehicle you're entitled to drive, etc, and if you return to the UK permanently just change it back.

As I said in an earlier post, if you're living in Spain permanently and legally all your other documents will be Spanish - the driving licence is just another one, makes life easier, and removes all doubt?

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:30 pm

Yes I agree and I am considering exchanging mine.

Can anyone tell me how long is a Spanish licence valid for and how often do you have the medicals?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Fundalucia wrote: got a Residencia, !
without a residencia card can i get a spanish licence ?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:38 pm

blondie wrote:im not sure that the document has anything to do with your address, ...
Exactly, it started doing the rounds before the problem of the address became an issue and, anyway, a photocopy or scan of a fax will cut no ice with the Spanish traffic authorities as, if you get stopped, you will no doubt find out.

You will also see that current advice from the consulate is to, at least, register your UK licence with DGT. See the bottom of page XI (eleven) of this PDF document:

http://media.ukinspain.com/documents/pd ... _spain.pdf

A Spanish licence is valid for ten years until you are 45, then five years until you are seventy then, I think, two years. You have a medical each time you renew it although, as El Cid said it a recent post, if you can drag yourself to the medical test centre you are unlikely to fail it.

The age limitations apply whether you just have your UK licence validated with your address and NIE number or exchange it for a Spanish one.

You cannot obtain a Spanish licence unless you have a residencia.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:01 am

beachcomber wrote:You cannot obtain a Spanish licence unless you have a residencia.
so you are saying that legally the only way forward for me and anyone who doesn´t have a residencia card but lives here full timeis to get my licence validated with my NIE number ? OR to get residencia (not quick)

?

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:14 pm

My husband and I both have Spanish driving licences, but we do not have Residencia. Since April 2004 it has not been necessary to apply for Residentia if you are working and paying into the social security system in Spain. The fact that you are working is all that is needed.
Saying that, I find that for many reasons I am still expected to have 'residencia´- even my bank are trying to keep me with a foreigners account even though I have been paying the Autonomo and my taxes through their bank for the last 3 years. I probably will give in, but when the whole process has been overwritten by new rules, why should I?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:05 pm

Laslomas wrote: . I probably will give in, but when the whole process has been overwritten by new rules, why should I?
Because you want an easy life!

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Laslomas wrote:Since April 2004 it has not been necessary to apply for Residentia if you are working and paying into the social security system in Spain. The fact that you are working is all that is needed....
Yes, exactly right, but I don't think spanish_lad falls into that category so he will need a residencia.

Actually it is easier to have a residencia even if you don't need one otherwise you have to carry all kinds of documentation to prove that you don't and even then, as you have found, certain entities still expect you to produce one.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:28 am

Beachcomber wrote:Yes, exactly right, but I don't think spanish_lad falls into that category so he will need a residencia.
correctomundo señor, my work is...cash and i am not paying autonomo.

i guess i need to validate my licence with my NIE. where is the nearest place to do that to alhaurin? policia national en fuegerola?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:06 am

You have to go to Tráfico in Málaga.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:54 pm

After reading all these threads on validating youe license etc, can anyone tell me what paperwork I need to do this?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:33 am

You need to complete the relevant form which you can either download or get at the Trafico office.

You need your original NIE document, your passport and your residencia card or new residencia certificate. You need your UK licence and a photocopy and also a photo. It will cost you €7.40

When you get your licence back (it could take a month or more) it will have your NIE number on it.

The other alternative is to exchange it for a new Spanish photocard licence which requires the same paperwork plus a signed photo and a charge of €17.80

In either case you will get a receipt for your UK licence which is acceptable if the police require you to produce your licence. I would also recommend that you retain a photocopy of your UK licence.

Sid

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks Sid

Spingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spingo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:04 am

Do you get your UK license back? I've heard that unless you send for a duplicate from the DVLA first, you lose your UK license when you send for a Spanish one. OK if you never return to the UK (which I don't) but nevertheless . . . Or do they just stamp the UK license and send it back?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:30 am

Your old licence is sent back to the DVLA.

If you go to the UK you can drive on your Spanish licence. If you return permanently then you just exchange your Spanish licence for a new UK licence.

If you have a "duplicate" licence and use it in the UK and are stopped by the police they will automatically check with the DVLA and find that you are driving on an illegal licence that should have been returned.

Sid

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 am

Sid,what about a medical?
I have also been told that you need to have a medical to have a spanish licence.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:56 am

PP, no you don't have a medical when you exchange your licence.

You will need one when it comes up for renewal which is every 5 years if you are over 45. Under 45 it is every 10 years and over 70 every 2 years.

Sid

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:34 pm

I am totally confused with the Spanish Licence I have. I exchanged my UK one at the end of 2004. I did not need a medical. The one I was issued with is a pink card style. On the back it states: desde 21/12/1999 hasta 26/01/2008. Where the date in 1999 comes from I have no idea, I was not even in Spain then. It was actually issued and stamped by Trafico 25/01/2005. So the Licencia only lasted 3 years.

This week I have received a form 'Aviso de Caducidad del Permiso o Licencia de Conduccion. This needs to be completed with confirmation of address - there is a space for a photo, and a payment of 18 euros is requested. There is no mention of a medical - or am I supposed to know I need a medical and go and get one?

Anyone else had to deal with this form recently?

Spingo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spingo » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:01 pm

El Cid wrote:Your old licence is sent back to the DVLA.

If you go to the UK you can drive on your Spanish licence. If you return permanently then you just exchange your Spanish licence for a new UK licence.

Sid
Thanks for your help that seems straightforward enough

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:14 pm

El Cid wrote:
PP, no you don't have a medical when you exchange your licence.

You will need one when it comes up for renewal which is every 5 years if you are over 45. Under 45 it is every 10 years and over 70 every 2 years
right,thats sounds about correct then.I have a client/friend of mine who is over 45 years old-her licence has just been renewed(spanish licence)and she had to have a medical.So i will be safe for 10 years then,if i exchange my UK one now.
Thanks Sid.