Nervous about moving

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Nervous about moving

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:48 pm

Did anyone get nervous about selling up everything and moving out to Andalucia - just a thought!
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Nervous, excited every emotion possible I think! But have never been happier since moving here. Sunshine, garden with fruit trees, grow our own veg, hens, (bit like the goodlife) lovely neighbours (all Spanish) what more could we want?
:D

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Last edited by Alpujarra on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:17 pm

I'm nervous now, we sold a year ago and are moving the week after next, and have also lived in Spain part-time for many years, so not sure why I am. Also very excited at the same time.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Steve and yvonne.It all happened so quickly for us-we came here on holiday-hubby looked for work,got offered a job(told to come back when house had sold)House in UK sold within one day of being on the market,hubby moved over here alone,found us somewhere to live,and then me and my son followed.Not nervous at all..didnt have time to be nervous..I do think it took me a good 2.5 years to feel settled in Spain,although i have always been determined i would never go back to UK unless things got really bad for us.We bought property here after 6 months of arriving,so have always been tied(not sure if thats a good or bad thing)It certainly doesnt make it too easy to pack up and go back to England.You have to stay through good and bad,and i think it makes you stronger as a family unit and as a person. :D

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:25 am

Hi, yes. I think if there wasn't a bit of nervousness, you wouldn't have thought things through much. We plan to move next year and at the moment its mainly excitement but I know I'll have some mini panics about all sorts of things. Maybe that's part of the fun of it all. Feeling right now that I'd just love to move NOW but we can't so I'm going to try to enjoy the planning and get as many visits as I can in the meantime.
Good luck with your move.

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 am

Come over and rent for a while. The weather here is lovely and warm so you can at least panic in comfort!!!!!!!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Would love to but it's more for work/money reasons that we can't come yet. We may get a property there soon if we can do it. But the earliest we're likely to move is August next year. I'll just suffer the cold till then!

sarah&john
Tourist

Postby sarah&john » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi all,

We are hoping to move over to Estepona/Sabinillas area some time this year. John has a great job, we live in a nice area in a large 4 bed detached house, Olivia loves her school but we just haven't settled. It is a very scary, nervious, exciting and every other emotion rolled into one I think. Anything big in your life that involves up routing your family is bound to be nerve racking.

Once John gets a job in Gib (if the agencies ever pull their fingers out) then we will be over hoping to rent for the first 6 months or so before buying just to make sure we have the right area. We are putting the house on the market around May/June time and then see what happens.

I can't wait but then know when it does arrive I will panic too. Missing my parents is my saddest thought as we are so close.

I know it will be the right move deep down and the out door life for my two girls will be wonderful, instead of them being couped up in the house all the time as it is too cold, wet and windy for them to play. I can just see them running on the beach without a care in the world and to me that would be wonderful. Plus I LOVE THE SUN!!

Good luck with all your re-search.

Sarah

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks all

We have been planning and getting excited for a couple of years now - but we are now just four weeks away and the house is not sold and stuff is everywhere! Middle of the night panics about how to get cats picked up from Malaga airport and getting pensions sorted in the uk and how to clear out the house once it is sold.

Just wanted abit of reassurance that is was not just us.

Dreams have shifted away from walking in the mountains and exploring inland Spain to the nuts and bolts of moving. No doubts about it being the right thing to do though.

Steve

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:10 pm

It sounds as if we'll be feeling those panics next year! How do we transport our 2 dogs, cat and most worrying, our parrot! I'm hoping that the stress of the move won't be too much for him in which case we may have to leave him here, perhaps with my son. I really don't want to do that. Sounds silly, but I love watching the football with him because as soon as I start making a noise (singing etc, you don't want to know!) he joins in because he loves any sort of noise.
So anyone with any tips on transporting the animals - please let us know.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:22 pm

There's a company called Easypet, who will drive your animals over. Not sure about parots, but they do cats and dogs. Costs a lot, but may be worth it. They do an overnight stop on the drive to Spain, in an 'animal-friendly' establishment, provide the carriers and food etc, and deliver from door to door.

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:27 pm

I'll look into that Easypet one - thanks. Yes not so easy with parrots as you can't take them out for a walk the same - well, you can if you can get the harness on them!

matamosca
Tourist

Postby matamosca » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:48 pm

My advice to any one would be to rent your house out on a fixed term contract and rent over here the. average lifespan of an ex-pat is 18 months! I´ve seen so many go back in the last 14 years and the never recover the position they were in befor they left
one chap I knew blew 1/4 millon and went back to sign on the dole and beg a house off the council :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 pm

There is a company in Bristol that is transporting or cats by plane. We take them to Bristol - they look after them until we have travelled out by van and then ship them and we pick up at the airport. PM me if you wnat their name. Course I can tell you more how it goes in five weeks time!

Steve

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:24 am

animalcouriers.com are excellent.....two ex RSPCA inspectors drive animals over in special vans etc, camp out with them en route (literally), even board them for a few days in their HOMES in Sussex to fit in with travel dates..can thoroughly recommend them...they brought my 'family' -- then 3 GSDs (v sadly no longer with us) one fiery terrier and one very fed-up cat -- here 4 years ago.
They did say they transport pretty much any type of animal, so would be worth having a word.....

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:10 am

I'll have a look at that one too, thanks. Plenty of time yet but I feel I need to know the possiblities well in advance!

ht006d5256
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ht006d5256 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:13 pm

don't forget miradamac you will have to have your parrot tested for bird flue etc which can only be done by aDefra registered vet it takes about 10 days to complete we had our two African Grey's shipped over and they arrived in perfect health and condition good luck
Howard

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:36 pm

T anks, that's reassuring about your parrots - hope they're continuing to thrive and enjoying the sunshine! I knew we had to have some tests but wasn't sure what so that's helpful thank you.