2ndhand Landrovers?

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Faire d'Income wrote:You either want an All Terrain (AT) tyre or a Mud Terrain (MT) for off road purposes. The AT tyres are a bit of a compromise in that they work reasonably well off road but much better on road - say 30/70, whereas MTs are a much more aggressive tread pattern and work better off road than on - say 70/30.

You can get either new or re-mould tyres although I'm not sure of the availability of these in Spain. On my Landy I have Colway MTs which are a remould and on my Rangy I've got Cooper ATs although these are quite an aggressive tread pattern.

No idea of Spanish cost but in the UK you'd expect to pay between £40 - £70 per corner. May be worth getting them delivered from the UK.
Thanks for that info. And what are the consequences/disadvantages of driving on tarmac with MT´s? Are they considered "road legal" for ITV purposes?

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:14 pm

They'll be road legal but you need to bare in mind that due to the tread block's size you won't have as much grip, particularly in the wet, as you'd have with a road biased tyre but they're not dangerously deficient in the grip department - just a bit wobbly.

Chances are you won't be going fast enough to notice in a Landy anyway. Also - does your vehicle have permanent 4WD (Defender type) or does it have separate levers for the transfer box (red/yellow normally)?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks again. It´s a lightweight military and it has the two levers, red and yellow (well, faded to white now!), so I choose when to engage 4WD...and no it doesn´t really go any faster than 70 km/hr...!

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:47 pm

In which case I'd recommend you rotate your tyres every 3000 miles or so as for some reason the fronts wear out quicker on the non-permanent 4WD models. Incidently, your model isn't actually that lightweight but it is narrower than the standard model of the day as it was designed to fit within aircraft for which the standard model was too wide.

Hope you've got the 12 volt version and not the 24v radio model.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks. Yes, it´s a 12V.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:58 pm

Good. If you ever get stuck for parts, although you shouldn't have a problem as there are plenty of those Spanish rip offs, look online for companies such as Craddock, Famous Four and Paddock spares as they are generally very cheap and will post to Spain. Having said that, they're as reliable as anything provided you keep on top of the maintenance.

millerspain

Postby millerspain » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Haven't had time to read all the posts as am at work but those looking for a 2nd hand landie in Spain can also search for Santana or Hannibal which are (I think :? ) Land Rover's built under licence in Spain. They supply (or used to) the Spanish armed forces, fire brigades, Endesa, telefonica etc... May be worth a look.

ex patriot 66
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ex patriot 66 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:08 am

as of today I fear for the future of Land Rover as it has now been bought by India's motor company ,can you imagine a Range Rover Sport with a Tata engine in it :cry:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:09 pm

I was hoping I could load up an image of my old series 111 lwb cab truck that, in kinder moments I thought could climb trees with its Fairey overdrive etc. But not only do I find that I cannot seemingly upload pictures from my own PC to this forum, but I also am reminded by my wife (and secretly I agree) that said Land Rover was truly horrible - smoke/fumes everywhere, deafening to drive and capable of no more than 50mph.

But, you can't keep an old fool down - I´ve now got a Discovery!

I've also got an Isuzu Trooper (hence my user name) and before anyone asks - I love them both equally. (And my wife)

Sad isn't it?
nil illegitimum carborundum

Don

Postby Don » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Having used various landrovers for work over the years, and having got stuck a few times such as off the end of a launching ramp in the mud with a rising tide .... and avoiding deep snow by driving along the edge of a deep loch in the water as the only way back out again .... I have toyed with the idea of having one here for when 2WD gets to its limit. I read somewhere that the Santana was based on the landrover design obviously but everything which could be produced in Spain was and only the bits they could not produce were geniune imported landrover bits. Does anyone know what engines are in the Santana? To be avoided or not? Anything else to watch out for?

I have already heard to steer clear of the Disco3 if you intend to keep it past 180000 miles but that wasnt in my plan anyway.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:32 pm

The history of Santana and latest specs:

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/santana.html
Brian.

Don

Postby Don » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for that link Brian, most informative and not only on Santana but all LR variants. Now I feel almost educated on the subject. For Santana it looks as though they have had many different engines over the years some of which seem quite gutsy. I have noticed, and been stuck behind, some old Santanas with 80 km limit stickers on the back so I wondered if they were rather underpowered in general. We had one of the 2.5 l turbodiesels for work in Scotland back in the 80s and it was a vast improvement over the earlier petrols.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks to whoever it was told me I needed photobucket to do this!

Why is it that, as horrible as this vehicle was, I look back at it with fondness. LR owners must be a breed apart.
nil illegitimum carborundum

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 pm

This is my baby!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:32 am

Hilly, you could probably get a job with Easyjet doing campo tours in that one :lol: :wink:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 am

I never thought of that! It's about as comfortable and well-appointed as a budget airliner so the passengers would feel right at home!!!!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:03 am

Don't know why, but an image came into my mind of an orange-shirted woofter standing up in the back, waving his arms saying "the emergency exits are here, here and here.....in the event of us falling into water, please blow into this to top up my life jacket..." :D More camp than campo!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don

Postby Don » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am

Saw one exactly like yours on Sunday Hillybilly, parked at Aznalcasar. Exactly the same model and colour except for the amount of mud on the wheels and a slightly different canvas colour.