Growing Spanish Tomatoes

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
curatokid
Resident

Growing Spanish Tomatoes

Postby curatokid » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:16 am

Do you have to take off the side shoots on Spanish tomatoes as you would with the conventional English varieties or let them grow as a bush ??

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 am

It's going to depend on the variety. Some are bush and some are vine. If you mean the big beefy ones, the ones I have seen are vine and grown up canes. They will have the side shoots pinched out.
Grouser

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:47 pm

The same goes for the plum tomotoes too - that is if you can keep up with side shooting. I make a valiant attempt to get them all in the first few months but they are just so prolific you cant ....

I hope you like tomatoes 'cos they crop like like mad compared to the UK

Its not a good idea to grow English tomatoes like moneymaker and the like unless you grow them in the shade. They have a tendancy to burst despite regular watering. Its like its just a bit to hot for themin the full sun.
Where as the spanish one's are just so prolific.

Oh - and youll need very strong supports. not just a bamboo cane. I use the 2m, round fence poles and 1 per plant

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:26 pm

I have tried English seeds and they do just split as Martin said pricking out side shoots is a daily job, I'm sure you could stand and watch the buggers coming out. Last year I grew just 6 plants and we were giving the things away.

I may have mentioned before that my old dear is (or was) blonde, I was giving Tomatoes away and she was still buying them at the shops!

Mhic.

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:05 pm

I grew perfect intensely flavoured Gardener's Delight English tomatoes last year - they were staggeringly prolific, if a bit on the small side - probably because I did not thin out the side shoots enough, but I had no problems with splitting. I watered them well two or three times a week. The secret is in the mulch, I find.