Grand Designs - Malaga 7pm (8pm) Channel 4

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
.Griff.
Resident

Grand Designs - Malaga 7pm (8pm) Channel 4

Postby .Griff. » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:17 pm

I realise it's a repeat but all the same I thought some of you may be interested in watching it.
DIY: Grand Designs
On: Channel 4 (104)
Date: Saturday 12th April 2008 (starting in 3 hours and 44 minutes)
Time: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long)

Kevin McCloud travels to Malaga, where English architect Gil Briffa and his wife Hilary are about to embark on the biggest challenge of their lives: building their dream home for future retirement. Rural Spain isn't exactly the homeland of Modernist architecture, but that's not stopping this couple from building a gob-smacking contemporary house of glass, concrete and steel, right in the middle of a sleepy Andalusian community.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:41 pm

If it is the one I think it is - sadly one of the owners has since died. Such a lot of effort, and beaurocracy to beat and then only a short time to enjoy.

Angie P
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Angie P » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:35 pm

That is sad.. It was a lovely looking place.. not sure at the beginning how it would look, but I could certainly move my stuff into there once it was finished.. infinity pool was lovely with the view they had from the mountain top...

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 am

If one of the owners has died, it is indeed sad. But I thought their arrogance in the course of upsetting the sensibilities of just about all local spaniards was an indefensible attitude and one that frankly embarrassed me.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:50 am

Get your point Trooperman, however an attitude that says we always paint our houses white because we always have done, so that's the way it should be, is somewhat entrenched and lacking in imagination. Not really helpful to progress. Where I live in the UK many people have that same kind of view point which leaves building and design stuck in a time warp somewhere around the end of the nineteenth century.
Grouser

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Understood, Grouser, but your "progress" could result in false stone cladding!
nil illegitimum carborundum

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:35 pm

Vera and jack aren't moving to Spain are they :D :D
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:52 pm

sadly one of the owners has since died.
Out of curiousity do you know which one?

Although I personally did not like the house (not my style or taste) I admired the courage shown in sticking out for what you wanted.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Alan-LaCala wrote:
sadly one of the owners has since died.
Out of curiousity do you know which one?

Although I personally did not like the house (not my style or taste) I admired the courage shown in sticking out for what you wanted.

Alan
"If" one of them died it must have been the wife as the husband's business has recently expanded into Spain. Their own personal website, which is mainly focused on the house, doesn't mention anyoen passing away though.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:02 pm

I don't know why I didn't see this post at the time.

The house is very local to me. We thought they were very arrogant when we saw the programme the first time round, but having met them they were completely different. They said that they had no input into the actual filming, and as you all know confrontation is one of the musts in a TV show.

The little cameos of the mayor and people in the village were very funny.

Actually it was Gil who died last October.

jogger
Resident

Re: Grand Designs - Malaga 7pm (8pm) Channel 4

Postby jogger » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:06 pm

They had this on again with an update after nine years from the original programme. They did seem a very nice couple and the lady said as it was a ten year project that in another year or two she would move on and get her son to design another place. I missed the start of the programme, where exactly is the house, it looked like a really nice area area.

Laslomas
Resident

Re: Grand Designs - Malaga 7pm (8pm) Channel 4

Postby Laslomas » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:20 am

It is just off the MA108 (on the right going up) on the way to Moclinejo. I think it is close to El Valdes. It is quite a nice drive. The road is from both exit 254 and 256 from the motorway. There is a nice tapas stop in Benagalbon. :thumbup: