LHD v RHD and Spanish Reg v British Reg

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

LHD v RHD and Spanish Reg v British Reg

Postby Len S » Mon May 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Sometime in the future I propose to spend 6 months /year in Spain and 6 months /year in UK. I propose to have only one vehicle and drive back and to.

Would you recommend a Lhd or a Rhd vehicle, and registered in Spain or UK, and why?

Many thanks.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue May 20, 2008 1:14 am

Len s, do you have any sensible questions for us or are you taking the pi55?
Ah! the full english!!

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 am

I don't understand your reaction. It's a genuine question.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 20, 2008 8:05 am

If i was doing 6 months in either country i would keep my uk car. Why go to the hassle of buying and taxing a lhd drive car when you dont need to. The only plus side to a lhd on Spanish plates would be you when you are back in the uk you would be able to avoid payng the congestion charge and avoid cameras.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 am

Buy a McClaren - that way you get to sit in the middle. If you have that sort of money you would then want to register it in Lichtenstein or somewhere, for tax reasons! Problem solved.
Next time ask an important question where we can all help, like "should my boyfriend dye his pubic hair, and what colour?"
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Don

Postby Don » Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 pm

peteroldracer wrote: "should my boyfriend dye his pubic hair, and what colour?"
Easy one that peteroldracer, avoid all arguments and shave :shock:

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Tue May 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Costakid, many thanks for your response.

As to the rest, well..................pathetic. Don't bother responding further as I have absolutely no intention of having a dialogue with a bunch of morons.

Ed
Tourist

Postby Ed » Tue May 20, 2008 3:57 pm

Buy a motorcycle!!!!!!!!!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Tue May 20, 2008 10:02 pm

Len S wrote:Costakid, many thanks for your response.

As to the rest, well..................pathetic. Don't bother responding further as I have absolutely no intention of having a dialogue with a bunch of morons.
Good for us then :lol:

What a stupid question, designed to elicit a 50/50 response, of course if you had asked "I live in the UK for eight months and Spain for 4 months" then the response would be a forgone conclusion!
In order to fend off any further anally retentive comments from your good self, I suggest you consult a fiscal assessor who will give you the gist, please don't bother us again, unless of course you do it in one of your other names :roll: :roll:
Ah! the full english!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: LHD v RHD and Spanish Reg v British Reg

Postby El Cid » Tue May 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Len S wrote:Sometime in the future I propose to spend 6 months /year in Spain and 6 months /year in UK. I propose to have only one vehicle and drive back and to.

Would you recommend a Lhd or a Rhd vehicle, and registered in Spain or UK, and why?

Many thanks.
I would suggest that you keep your UK car which will be legal in Spain as you can keep it taxed and MOT'd in the UK as you will be going back there. To keep it absolutely legal do not spend more than 6 months in Spain in one year.

The only downside is driving on the "wrong side of the road" but thousands of Brits do that every year when they go on holiday in Europe.

If you register it in Spain the road tax will be less but you will have to pay the registration tax which could be quite high if it is a recent car.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: LHD v RHD and Spanish Reg v British Reg

Postby Wicksey » Thu May 22, 2008 3:57 pm

El Cid wrote: The only downside is driving on the "wrong side of the road" but thousands of Brits do that every year when they go on holiday in Europe.

Sid
Whichever car you get you'll be spending a proportion of the year on the 'wrong' side :wink: . Having recently been back to the UK and seen the prices of second hand cars there, I only wish I could put up with a RHD car here, they are a fraction of the price of cars in Spain - I was really shocked at how cheap they now are in England. I agree with Sid, I wouldn't bother buying a Spanish one.

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Many thanks for all the sensible responses and pm's.