Battery-hen rescue ?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Martin Page
Resident

Battery-hen rescue ?

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:49 am

Is there a battery hen rescue center around the CDL/Saville area.

I have now got the orchard established and I would like to introduce a few chickens. If I can rescue then all the better.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Battery-hen rescue ?

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:33 pm

Give Tesco a call - they might send you some. :D :D

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 pm

The best thing we did was to get hens :D No weeds in the orchard now and eggs in return :D The only down side is the holes they dig!! The whole of the orchard is booby trapped as they dust bath everywhere :shock: Difficult to walk about orchard in the dark without breaking our ankles!
The hens are real characters though, we did get a cockeral but he had to go, he terrorised the hens :shock: The Spanish neighbour ate him, said he was good :) The hens are much more content now the big boy isn´t here to attack them.
The hens had a baby snake the other week, one was running about like a loony with the others chasing her...... it was something funny to see :lol:

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:46 pm

Well - if Duracell works in bunnies, they should be OK for hens. :lol:

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:33 pm

I really miss my chickens and of course their lovely eggs. I hate buying them anywhere else but do try to get them from people locally who have chickens. I was looking forward to having a few hens again in Spain - till I saw the mention of the baby snake.

Mickyg
Tourist

Postby Mickyg » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:29 pm

When we had over 20 chickens roaming our garden, we certainly had no weeds. No grass either, especially when we had a few wet months last year - just ended up with a mud bath. But the eggs made it worthwhile.
Bring me sunshine (as in Morcambe & Wise)

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 pm

all very good .... but is there a rescue for ex battery hens or do they all go to the pie factory ?