Genet spotted

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Genet spotted

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:05 am

For the first time we saw a genet last night and what a beautiful creature it was. The coat was just incredible and it seemed totally unfazed by our car headlights so we got a really good view of it. Our neighbour had told us about a cat-like creature with a long stripey tail that he had previously seen and we couldn't think of what it could be, but I found it on google this morning, so now I know!

I found these photos which are pretty good

http://www.fotosearch.com/results.asp?k ... chtype=sss

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Wow - what a fantastic creature. Where did you see it?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:22 am

We saw it just a few hundred metres from the village much to my surprise as it is a road we have travelled on hundred of times but we have never seen one before. I think they are also living up in the hills near us as we did once see a long tail disappear into the bushes but it was dusky and we couldn't make out what it was. They are nocturnal and are supposed to be quite shy, but the one we saw was very bold and sat at the side of the road for sometime before ambling across it.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:10 pm

we saw one last year on the coast to Sayalonga road around 3:00am in the morning. Had no idea what it was but the face profile and stripy tail were pretty distinctive. Found it in a wildlife book later.
Regards

Bob

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:34 pm

amazing looking creature, will look out for it when walking doggie at night.