heartworm jab for dogs

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi Princess Peach, Do you have a french bulldog by any chance?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Hello Pink Lady,I have 2 British Bulldogs.
Were you not getting a frenchie if i remember correctly?
Did you get one? :D
If you did get one,is everything o.k with her?

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi yes, It's been abit of a process but I wanted to make sure that I have a healthy pup from a good breeder. I plan to collect him next week -yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I have adored all bulldogs ever since I can remember but am only in a position to have one now. I have read in some of the many books that I have purchased about bulldogs and frenchies that they are more susceptible to heartworm for some reason. How do you find yours cope in the heat? Any tips? apart from taking them out early morning/late night and keeping them cool during the day. This probably sounds ridiculous but I am a little concerned with their feet getting hot with the heat rising from the ground in the evenings.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:15 pm

well,I never ever take either of them on long walks winter or summer.just a short trip down the road and back is enough for them.I do know some bully that walk for miles tho.We have a very cool house and when they get hot,they lie on the floor.
Both of mine quite like the heat and sunbathe on the back step,untill they reach boiling point and move to the shade. 8)
Frenchies dont have as many wrinkles as british bullys,so i dont think they will suffer as many breathing difficulties as the british ones do.
Just make sure plenty of water is always available,and if you go anywhere (car or long walks )take water with you.Dont worry,you wont have any problems.
Bet you cant wait....Didnt you say you were going to call the pup Ruby?
same as mine,or have you changed your mind?
Do you know what colour you are getting...oohh very exciting.they are my 2nd fav type of dog. :wink:
I hope yours isnt as difficult to potty train as my last puppy was..complete nightmare.. :shock:
Dont worry about their feet getting hot.they will soon shift if they are too hot.. :wink:

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Well, I originally thought I would get a bitch not for any particular reason really, hence the name Ruby. I won't bore you with all the details but it has just worked out that it will be a dog so I have a list of possible names but undecided - any ideas? I loved the name Ruby - typical!! He is classed as brindle but he looks more black than brindle. He is 2.5 months and luckily the breeder has already started to house train him and apparently he doesn't like going inside already! It's probably because he follows the other bulldogs that they own. Hopefully he will continue this when he moves to our house. The breeder is really helpful but it's great to talk to another bulldog owner. What is your other one called? What colour are they?

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Pink Lady wrote:Well, I originally thought I would get a *beep* not for any particular reason really, hence the name Ruby. I won't bore you with all the details but it has just worked out that it will be a dog so I have a list of possible names but undecided - any ideas? I loved the name Ruby - typical!!
Why not still call him "Ruby", if you love that name (which i must admit i do too).
I once wanted a dog called Audrey, so when we got one, even tho it was a "he", i still called him Audrey. They dont mind, honest. And most names these days are unisex! Enjoy! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:17 pm

What is your other one called? What colour are they?
I have a big white one called Winston.and the little lady who is red,she is called Ruby.

My hubby wanted to name one Brian :lol: it makes me smile..
We thought we were getting a dog and Ruby ended up coming along instead.We had a long list of names for male dogs and it really threw us for female names.
try these links
http://www.funpuppynames.com/male-puppy-names.html
http://englishbulldogpuppys.net/english ... names.aspx
http://www.petrix.com/dognames/a.html

have fun!

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:26 am

Winston is really cute too. I am down to Bailey, Wilson, Rafa or Jasper. My husband likes Zeus but it's not cute enough for me! Thanks for the links I'll have a look. One last question, what company do you use for insurance? I have had a few quotes but Protectapet seem to the most reputable.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Pink Lady,I dont have insurance.
Its something i suppose i should look into. :wink:

I think a nice macho name for your bully as they are quite small,I like Zeus,and Rafa is nice too. :D

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:24 pm

Monty ????????

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:31 pm

The only problem with Rafa is that it's quite a common Spanish name. You'll be calling the dog and several men will turn around :lol: :lol:

My big Presa is called Reggie as I wanted a gangsterish name for him. I like Jasper. How about Hammer? I think that will be my next dog's name.

I had a friend who called her GSD Bonehead 'cos he was a bit dim & kept banging his head :D

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:41 am

Hi again, just a quick word on the heartworm subject, I took my puppy for her second lot of injections yesterday and asked about heartworm - he said the reason its so expensive for an injection is that this disease is rare in Malaga so the locals do not get it done, the vets have to order a full bottle of the injection stuff and then if you only use it on one dog the rest gets wasted. He has ordered tablets for me which he says are a lot cheaper. Like you I dont want to take any chances as we will take her travelling when she is older. Apparently HW is more prevalent in swampy coastal areas as its a special breed of mosquito - it is found around the coastal areas of Huelva/Cadiz, for example.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Thanks Princess Peach. Still undecided!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 pm

aww,I hope you are really happy with your puppy when you get him.You will be in for a lot of fun.
Let me know when you get him and what name you pick,and photo would be lovely too. :wink:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:49 pm

I have a dog who cannot tolerate Drontal so looked up the injectable version of heartworm vaccination, moxidectin, trade names Guardian SR. Pro-heart 6 and 12 both SR. The manufacturer advises NOT to give within one month of other vaccinations and not at te same time. It seems there was a product recall in 2004 due to adverse reactions............it also says give to dogs from 6 months to 7 years..........it also says be careful with dogs with history of allergy, so do check with your vet re this version of treatment as its a slow release systemic insecticide in effect. My dog is over 11 so not sure whether to try him with this now, he´s never had it before.....think I will take their website advice and opt for blood test first to see if he has it.........as that can create a greater chance of negative reaction.....

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Jool,if your dog is an old one,i wouldnt bother,you never know what could happen to him.
I suppose whatever the problem was in 2004 it should be sorted out by now(at least i hope so)but good to know,she seems to be o.k..
My big dog has never had any tablets or vacs for heartworm.I was never advised of it. :?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:12 pm

Yes PP same here, we were never told about it either but local vet seem very keen on it now.........he has exspot which I think makes his blood less attractive to all sorts, not just sand fly, but I am worried about it....will get the blood analysis done for peace of mind...........its pedigree breeds that are more susceptible and that´s him.........

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 pm

aww,well you have to do what you think is right.My vet knows i have a big dog and has given him vacs,but never recommended the heartworm one.I will have to ask him about it.
I also didnt know that pedigree dogs are more susceptible,do you know why?