Cost of Childs Education

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Cost of Childs Education

Postby maddy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I have heard that childrens books etc all need to be bought for them at school here in spain. can anyone tell me roughly how much a year it costs for kids stuff for schoolf from the age of 5 onwards?
thanks
madeleine

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:05 am

As I understand it, f your child will be 6 this year, they will be going into primary and there should be nothing to pay as it is the start of compulsory education so there will be no costs. The only costs will be extra curricular activities but they will be your choice and would not be part of education in Britain either.

Our kids will be going into the primary department in September as they will be six before the end of the year and we have taken the vouchers from the school but supplied by the Junta to a local shop to purchase the books listed on the vouchers.

If your child won't be 6 until 2009, he/she will be in the infants until June next year. When ours were in the infants we had to pay for books and materials that cost about 300 Euros in total every year.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:09 am

I have some friends moving from east of Malaga to Mijas Costa where their children are starting at a state school in Sept. They have told me that the books are free and they have one child age 9 (Primary) and one just starting secondary school. However, another friend is in a concertado school (combination of state and private) and she gets probably half the books free but needs to pay for the others. I spend approx 300 euros for my 8 year old and 400 or more for my 15 year old. So, depends on type of school and what year they are in. My worst year financially is when my son moved from Primary to Secondary. Had to buy big books (Dictionary etc) that cost a fortune, but last all the way through his remaining school years. That year was around 500 euros :shock:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:59 pm

My son last term(aged 12 )was informed by the teacher in English(I was also there)That the school would be providing his books,he would not be getting a cheque de libro.So we waited and waited,around 2 months into the school term,still no books.
I had waited long enough,and decided to order them from the local bookshop,pay for them myself and then he had his books.I felt very irresponsible as he had no books for lessons.
My son was told to hand in his school books at the end of term(I told him on no account was he to do this)I sent him in with a letter,stating these books were our property not the schools,as we had paid full price for them.(around 300 euros)
This year,i am pre ordering them From the 1st Aug in carrefour(go to your local one,and tell them the school and what year the child is in)
At least then,if i dont get the cheque,i will still have the books there for him for when the new term starts.
Its an absolute nightmare.They dont even give you a date when they start back after summer,you have to keep checking on the school gates for a note. :roll:

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies. That is most helpful. I also have a 1 and a half year old. When would i need to see about enrolling her in school/nursery. Is it compulsory? Does it cost? What age do they start?
Again, any replies are gratefully received.
thank you
madeleine

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Don't know much about nursery places I'm afraid - I couldn't find a place for my daughter who was 3 when we came to Spain. For a whole year she was home with us so I would perhaps suggest trying to put your childs name down soon? I think you have to pay for nursery here, but I do know it doesn't cost much (3 euros an hour).

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Many thanks scot.i have been to the local nursery and put her name down.thanks for the advice as there is a waiting list.
madeleine

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:03 pm

My youngest son is 8 and we have been getting the cheque de libro for the past 3 yrs. We do have to buy some other books including music, one for religion - we are not catholics, the art folder thingy and all exercise books and equipment costs usually between €60 - 80. Its seems to vary from one school to another.

Ama
Resident

Postby Ama » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Why do you buy a religion book? If it is a public school Religion classes are not obligatory. Of course if your child is interested they can assist the religion class. If it is a private catholic school there may be no alternative.

Rgds

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Sorry did not make it clear, it is a book for lessons he has in place of Religion, almost like an activity book. I do not HAVE to buy this book, the Director suggested it as an alternative to colouring pictures or doing his home work, depending on the teacher in whose class he is placed. It is a very small school and not equiped for us forigners :D but then why should it be???? He´s happy. I´m happy.