Ducks

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Ducks

Postby princess peach » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 am

I nearly bought 2 ducks yesterday :shock:
I went into a large pet shop to purchase seed containers and seed for our birds,and there were 2 large ducks kept in a very small cage(bird cage)
they couldnt stand upright properly,and were panting with the heat.
I felt sick. :cry:
Has anyone kept ducks and dogs together(I know the dogs would go for the ducks,but could they stick up for themselves?),what sort of environment do the ducks need to be happy?(i suppose any environment is better than being squeezed into a cage)

any feedback would be appreciated.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:45 pm

We kept dogs and ducks together happily for a couple of years here. The dogs were fine with them. Never had any eggs.
We built them a pond, but I have heard of people just letting them have access to an old bath tub sunk into the garden.
If you have a duck pond, don't expect any plants, fish, etc., to stay put in the pond though, and the pond quickly gets very dirty.
They are quite messy creatures, but very loveable and friendly. They need the water to clean their plumage and keep it free from parasites, so it must be deep enough for them to "up end". They also need the water to feed, helps them swallow and digest, I believe.
You need to protect them from foxes too - they are vulnerable and slow moving, without flight.
They also enjoy eating all your garden plants too, so not recommended if you love your garden, unless you can pen them off it ! :lol:
Hope this helps.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Agree with all the comments from anis.

You can sex ducks by their quacks (Wags that is your cue!)

I would add only buy them iff you are going to eat them or keep them for eggs.

olive

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Definitely messy creatures but fun and slightly brighter than chickens (doesn't say much). I've known lots of people keep ducks & dogs quite happily. We have a friend who has chickens, ducks and turkeys and her dogs are fine. Just be careful till they're settled. Another friend lost a lot of chickens AND a peacock to her Weimaraner! I suspect that was more to do with the dog being kept on a chain most of the time, so when she was let loose she went crazy. No problem with our labrador and our chickens. He used to run towards them & then straight through them as they scattered - I think he just never quite knew what to make of them. If you can provide them with a pond and don't mind the mess you'll probably enjoy them - you're obviously an animal lover. Let us know if you get them.
Peter, please note I have taken extreme care with the f and d keys.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:13 pm

PP. Just google for ‘keeping ducks’ or similar, and you’ll find lots of info. Lovely creatures, in spite of the mess :?
Lets us know if you do buy them and how you get on.

Best regards
gretch

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:31 pm

wow..all positive comments.Im shocked :shock:
Peter, very funny,i didnt have a clue what you were on about ,then it dropped. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I already have an avairy on the patio,the plants dont seem to grow in the troughs anyway,so they would have to go.Its plenty big enough to house the ducks,and the dogs could be kept out and away from the ducks for as long as needed.The only thing is,My hubby...he hasnt a clue about my idea,so i need to talk to him first.I am also worried as there is nothing for them to scrat about with(muck)only tiled floor,do they scrat like chickens?
would they need a duck house?
It would be easy to clean up after them with a mop and a hose pipe...

Olive,I would be rescuing these ducks,i wouldnt expect anything in return,no eggs or a cooked duck,they would be reared as pets. :D :D

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Peachy, my friend rescues some ducks (and a goose) and when introduced to their dog, the dog kept chasing them! They put the hose on the dog each time, and by the 4th soaking....he didnt chase them anymore, and let them roam around him freely!

I had some ducks "come" to us last year. we gave them an enclosure and a bath place and they were happy, til one day, i opened the gates to drive out, and a big dog came in, and within seconds killed 3 of the 5 ducks! One escaped (and we never saw him again), and the last one was so shocked we took her down to the lake where there are lots of other ducks...and she swam away happily.

If you dont want to keep them, an option is buying them from the shop then taking them straight to the river/lake where there are lots of other ducks for them to live the rest of their lives, happily. :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Karen,what a great idea! :D
My son would just love that,buying them to release them into the wild.The only thing is,i havnt seen any ponds near me,we are surrounded by sea :cry: I will continue to rack my brains for ponds nearby.I dont even know anyone who has a pond. :cry:

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Ducks feet are meant for grass mud and water not concrete also ducks like to dabble need space to spread their wings and preen etc and like all animals they need protection from the sun and cold winds so probably the kindest thing to do would be to set them free.

George in Spain
Tourist

Postby George in Spain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:37 am

princess peach wrote:Karen,what a great idea! :D
My son would just love that,buying them to release them into the wild.The only thing is,i havnt seen any ponds near me,we are surrounded by sea :cry: I will continue to rack my brains for ponds nearby.I dont even know anyone who has a pond. :cry:
Two choices:
1/ Take them to the big river at Soto Grande and chuck em in.
2/ Cook them with a lovely orange sauce.

PP you have young children and ducks attract rats, they are dirty so expect loads more flies in August and even hosing down will not get rid of the smell. Free them or eat them but do not keep them!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:13 am

mmm,I think you could be right,My child is nearly 13 so he isnt a problem,The rats arent either as they would be living in a patio area,which is completely sealed by walls.To house them in the patio,i think is cruel.Like Bongtrees said,they need mud for their flippers.
I do not want any real bad smells.
I didnt even think about the river in soto,there is even a nice area in san martin they could go.
I could never ever eat one.I Dont mind from the chinky,but i could never buy a live one to kill it.My son would never speak to me again,he gets upset at the live lobsters in mercadona blowing bubbles and trying to move about :cry:
I will see if they are still in the shop when i get back from my hols.
Does anyone know how much ducks are in Spain?

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 am

Princess Peach, were the ducks in the shop white ?
Ours were. It is a bit of a difficult one, I think, and I don't mean to pour pondwater on the idea but ......
These white tame ducks can't fly very well, if at all - ours couldn't.
They are bred that way and are too heavy for flight, when fully adult.
I think they are bred from mallards for meat and body size - good for roasting or egg laying.
In the wild, I think they might be a bit vulnerable ?
They would be OK on the water and safe from foxes, but they have to land sometimes and need to breed and preen.
They are slow, clumsy and they stand out in their white plumage and might be a
" sitting duck " for a hungry fox ?

George in Spain
Tourist

Postby George in Spain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:56 am

FYI - Ducks cannot eat without water as they need to 'dibble' also they cannot mate without water as the only mate while on it.

Makes you wonder why we drink the damb stuff!

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:57 am

Yes it's a shame Peachy but if you haven't any grassed area for them and don't like any smells it's not a good idea. It was a good thought though. I'm afraid I'm guilty of that all the time and then realising I just can't take on whatever creature it happens to be.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:22 am

George in Spain wrote:FYI - Ducks cannot eat without water as they need to 'dibble' also they cannot mate without water as the only mate while on it.
!

FYI George In Spain ducks dabble not dibble and do mate on dry land.

George in Spain
Tourist

Postby George in Spain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:33 am

Bongtrees wrote:FYI George In Spain ducks dabble not dibble and do mate on dry land.
Dabble, dibble mute point.

Okay ducks prefer to mate on water. Fertilty will be higher if there is access to swimming water at least 8 inches deep. A bit like the women in Marbella.

Image Cook the damb things say I.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:35 am

A few years ago I was asked to look at a pond where the owner had lost £11,000 worth of koi in a week. He kept koi and the wife kept ornamental ducks, the pond and surrounding area were filthy and smelt really bad. Not much I could do for his remaining koi and they all died within a few days.
The bloke was well off and not the brightest bulb in the box but he did have sense enough to chuck the wife and her ducks out. I fitted a new filter system he bought a lot of new fish and no doubt the ex-wife got a pretty good settlement.

Mhic.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:53 am

Peachy, I think ducks will make wonderful pets, and if you get fed up with them I have some very good recipes :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

George in Spain
Tourist

Postby George in Spain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:21 pm

Retro P wrote:I have some very good recipes :lol:
How could you!Image

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 pm

PEACHY, THEY DO MAKE ALOT OF MESS, BY THE WAY THE TRUE WAY TO SEX A DUCK, AND THIS IS NOT A JOKE, JUST LOOK AT THE TAIL END OF THE DUCK, THE MALE WILL HAVE A LITTLE CURLEY FEATHER STANDING UP,