Windows Warning Message

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
alaninspain
Resident

Windows Warning Message

Postby alaninspain » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:40 am

I have a large warning message on my screen as soon as I turn on, telling me I have viris problems and to activate my virus protection system, which I have and everything seems OK. However, I can not get rid of this pop up message, has anyone else had this problem? It will not disappear whatever I do.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:39 am

Have you used your AV scanner to scan for viruses? Do you have any spyware protection, Spybot, Superantispyware etc?

Can you tell if this is a real Windows message. Make a note of what the message says and type it into Google.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:13 pm

You can find an excellent free virus scanner here:- http://tinyurl.com/5w48gl

"Dr. Web Cure It" has a good reputation for being able to clean viruses, too.

.Griff.
Resident

Postby .Griff. » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Can you take a screenshot so we can establish if it's a genuine Windows message or something more sinister?

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Hiya

I think this is the virus/worm that caught me out this week. After experiencing various pop ups (sexy ladies etc) we tried using Avast to sort it out and it efficiently shut down the operating system too!

Check that the colours in the shield are correct and also the spelling on the message, these were clues I missed. Its very similar to the real thing.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Is it Windows Anti Virus 2008? I had this about a week ago, followed Beachcombers advice and all is well :D Its about 16 posts down.

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:29 am

I've just found this article that seems to cover the topic in great depth so take the trouble at least to skim read it and see what lengths criminals go to in faking things. Some of the websites of newly registered members to this forum seem to fit the pattern so be warned.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/22 ... of_a_hack/

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:33 pm

pilgrim wrote:Is it Windows Anti Virus 2008? I had this about a week ago, followed Beachcombers advice and all is well :D Its about 16 posts down.
What is "Windows Anti-virus 2008!, please?

I've not heard of it!

redtop012000
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby redtop012000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Windows Antivirus 2008 is corrupt security tool which is promoted as anti-spyware. WindowsAntivirus manipulates the name of Microsoft Windows operating system in order to make an image of legitimate application. Windows Antivirus 2008 is not related to Microsoft Corporation in any way.
Windows Antivirus 2008 is typical rogue anti-spyware. It is distributed by trojans disguised as video codecs. WindowsAntivirus2008 displays loads of misleading system alerts and uses aggressive tactics to gain a purchase.

Have a look at
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-windows ... -2008.html

I suggest the manual removal methods rather than use the download

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Aha! I thought it sounded dodgy! Although not an expert, I frequent several security fora and I would probably have seen a reference to it if it was genuine.
Thanks for your effort in finding this info.

redtop012000
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby redtop012000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:03 pm

:idea:

notrealllyblond

Re: Windows Warning Message

Postby notrealllyblond » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:47 pm

alaninspain wrote:I have a large warning message on my screen as soon as I turn on, telling me I have viris problems and to activate my virus protection system, which I have and everything seems OK. However, I can not get rid of this pop up message, has anyone else had this problem? It will not disappear whatever I do.
I am working with computers and recently I had a bunch of clients caught up on this. It's a Vundo Trojan or Virtumundo and it has a gazillion of variation. Almost impossible to remove it with traditional AVs, and trust me first time when I had the battle I tried EVERYTHING, all known spyware programs and Avs. Even when you think it's done, it keeps coming back. Actually programs that really remove that they reboot your computer as reboot is needed for removal. It's not just the fake antivirus programs that keep popping up, but it causes explorer.exe to crash regularly and also you get all kind of weird unwanted pop-ups and hijacked websites. I also seen start menu disappearing as it was.

I found a reliable program, that has a free version and it does just as a good job as the paid version. The only difference is that in the free version, you have to get the updates manually and doesn't give you online protection. The website is www.superantispyware.com. If you get any trouble, PM me and I will help you out long distance, free of charge, as currently I have more time than I need at hand while waiting for my passport to catch up with you guys over there.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks notreallyblonde, I could not respond to your kind offer as my PC received a trojan which effectively stopped me using my connections. I had to take it to a local PC shop, who cleared the problem, and told me I had 157 infections ( 158 if you count the wife) . A real nightmare. I am now all OK, thanks again for your offer, I am just glad I don't work in computers, only use one.
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone