Anitvirus 2008

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Anitvirus 2008

Postby pilgrim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Help!!!!!!! This has appeared on my computer today and keeps popping up. Have googled to see what it is and how to get rid of it, seems I have to download something else which in my experience is not a good idea :) Any suggestions? I have windows XP and have just got AVG after a local computer shop that has just fixed my computer put on a trial version of something else which ran out together with a few other dubious bits...........I

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:19 pm

Is this Norton by any chance?

No maybe not. I found this on Google. No doubt you found the same thing:

http://removal-tool.com/antivirus-2008/

Try the advice shown on that site.

Download the real AVG 8 Free from Grisoft here:

http://www.grisoft.com/ww.93825.tpl-mcr1#tba2
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:31 pm

No I think it was Kaspersky or klinsky or somthing similar not sure of the spelling now.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 pm

I'm not a fan of Kaspersky but it is a legitimate antivirus program.

See the edit to my above post.

Here is another removal suggestion:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware ... -2008-2009

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:37 pm

That is the AVG that I have now downloaded.

Many thanks Beachcomber I will give it a go and post my results.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:17 pm

It worked! Thank goodness. Used removel-tool.com/antivirus2008, had to download Spydoctor. Once again Thankyou Beachcomber

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 pm

notrealllyblond

Re: Anitvirus 2008

Postby notrealllyblond » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:45 pm

What you have is a fake antivirus program, that's itself the problem. I answered somebody in another topic, (more recent) you should get www.superantispyware.com free edition, and it will get you rid off it after couple of scan. If you need more help, PM and I will help you clean it up.

pilgrim wrote:Help!!!!!!! This has appeared on my computer today and keeps popping up. Have googled to see what it is and how to get rid of it, seems I have to download something else which in my experience is not a good idea :) Any suggestions? I have windows XP and have just got AVG after a local computer shop that has just fixed my computer put on a trial version of something else which ran out together with a few other dubious bits...........I

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:16 pm

My machine was infected with antivirus 2008 last week and the machine froze so I was unable to do sod all to get rid of it. It came in a zip file which I opened after it had been scanned (I assumed) by avg, and I did not open any files in the zip.

Each time I tried booting up another program was lost. I had to have the drive re-formatted so I'm glad I backed up important stuff. Have had a problem re-installing telefonica though.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:32 pm

How did you receive the Zip file? These files are notorious for carrying viruses and unsolicited ones should not be opened.

If you have a file you are not sure of scan it here:

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

rather than just rely on one AV program.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 am

Got the zip in a program downloaded for my bloody grandkids Beachcomber. Same thing every year they come b***** the computer and go home. Thought this year I'd end the cycle by buying another machine then they could play with the old one, forgot about the input from the Kerry blonde I married.

And joy of joy, the bloody virus is back though not as bad as last time.

Mhic.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 am

Still have the problem and also have a new homepage, I spent 30 minutes or so yesterday blocking it but everytime back it came. It's an interesting website which asks if I would like to buy a program which will clean my drive of compromising material. It does a free scan which takes about 5 seconds, first scan told me I had 2226 adult videos and images on the machine but during the night while the machine was off the number increased to 2297!

No chance of getting to heaven now then.

Mhic.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:36 am

Sometimes the easiest way is to format your hard drive and re-install your operating system, after saving all your essential data, of course.
I regularly do this a couple of times a year, (mas o minus), just to clear out the detritus left after installing/un-installing programs and generally cluttering up the hard drive.
I have regularly used file sharing programs and so far, touch wood, by having a decent anti-virus, trojan killer and HIPS element firewall, have never had an infection.
Another way of securing your PC, if running Windows XP, is to create one separate limited user account [L.U.A.]for those who use your PC, (this means when using this account user rights are severely curtailed, preventing the installation of software for instance).
You, as the holder of the administrator account, need to secure your account by a decent password!!
Windows Vista has something like this as the default setting, I understand.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:19 pm

I re-formatted and re-installed and now have the computer running clean again but it's pretty slow. I had a lot of trouble using my old passwords and in fact I can't get access to my old Outlook Express account, it just wont accept my password. It's pretty important that I get to check the mail on outlook, does anyone know a way around the password issue.

Mhic.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 pm

Did you save your emails to another drive before reformatting. I'm not sure what you mean by needing a password in order to access Outlook Express. It should just open when you click on it.

The computer should run much faster after re-formatting.

Conehead
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Conehead » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:34 am

Do you mean that Outlook Express opens correctly but you cannot access your password protected old email file?
You did export all your data before cleaning the disk?
You then imported this data?
If not and you only copied the files you may have a problem, this is going back a long way for me, I have used Outlook for too long.
If your old file was password protected then look on the Internet, I just did and there appears to be some freeware out there to recover the mail file if you do not have the password.
Try looking under File/Identities/Manage Identities/Maim (or one you may have set up)/Properties and see if that shows anything as that is where the password is selected.
No idea if they work though or partially work and you have yo pay for the full blown recovery version.
Good luck.
Last edited by Conehead on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Due to the high cost of energy, the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off until further notice.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:13 am

To save all this trouble in the future could I suggest that you invest in Acronis True Image.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:21 am

It opens Beach but the account wont, because it's password protected and it keeps telling me my password is no good. The HD was so badly affected by the virus I backed nothing up for fear of re-infecting it. I have earlier backups but I've never backed up emails. Obviously a bad move.

Thanks Conehead I'll have a look for that.

Mhic.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:29 am

mhic wrote:It opens Beach but the account wont, because it's password protected and it keeps telling me my password is no good.
It could be your username is incorrect rather than your password.

Are you with Telefonica by any chance? If so remember that the username is username$telefonica.net.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:51 am

I know it's a bit late now but this tells you how to back up your emails in Outlook Express:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;270670

The back up should obviously be kept on a different drive.

I'm still not sure from where you are trying to recover your emails. Are they on a web server somewhere or were they all downloaded into Outlook Express. If the latter and you have no back up they will have been lost when you reformatted the drive.

I have checked my version of Outlook Express and there appears to be no facility to protect it with a password (but it is an old version).