When on Heat?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

When on Heat?

Postby karandjon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:27 am

My Samoyed/Boxer cross, is now just over 8 months old. When should she come into season? I thought it was around the 5-7 month mark. We are waiting to have her spayed after her first season, and am sure we can´t have missed it!

Many thanks,

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Jane and Terry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: When on Heat?

Postby Jane and Terry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi Karen. It can sometimes be difficult to spot a first season because the flow can be very slight. However she may not have come into season yet because it can be a later than 5 to 7 months. Some vets will spay before the first season depending upon the size and condition of the dog concerned, or at least they will in Britain. It may be different here.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm

A word of warning, if you want to look for information on this subject whatever you do do not google b*itch on heat!! I did that and the stuff I got had me blushing for a week :oops: :oops: :oops:
Life is 'ard den you die!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:07 pm

Karen,Ruby had her first season aged 9months.I hope little Jakey boy has been done,otherwise he will drive you nuts,wont make no difference if he can reach her or not,Its a mad time in the house! :lol:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

Jane and Terry - thanks. she is now over 16kg, and growing. She is in excellent condition, even tho she had a poor start to life as her mother rejected her.We rescued her at 900g at 4 weeks old, involving a 9hour car journey!She is well worth it tho.

Wagon ropes - poor you :oops:

Peaches - don´t you worry...Jakey was done at 9 months old....after we were so embarrassed at him humping everybodies leg, whenever we had visitors!!

At the moment, Jakey (6kg) is trying it on with Kimba (well, she does wigle her bum in his face), but only managed to straddle her back, poor thing! :oops:

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Karen
Do not start worrying until she's at least a year old my first female had her first season at 13 mth old. If it goes much past this then get her checked out with the vet.

Chris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks Chris! Lovely, just when i´m due to have my baby!!! :lol:
I was hoping to have got her done before then, which would hopefully have led to her being a bit calmer, BEFORE the baby arrives!! :D

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:27 pm

Some more good news it can take up to 6 months after they are spayed to have any effect on their behaviour as the hormones have to settle down but you probably know all about hormones at the moment :lol:

Chris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Oh, it just gets better!! :lol: ....and yes, my hubby certainly knows all about hormones, these past few months, he says.....personally, i don´t know what he means!! :wink: :D

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Hormones? HORMONES????? WHAT HORMONES?????? pass me a cleaver someone....
Seriously, though, I was told by my vets out here that the main reason they like to wait until the b***h has had one season is because there is a risk of incontinence later on otherwise.. (I can't quite follow the logic of that one but hey!)...and just to cheer everyone up, I have a 13-year-old castrated male terrier who STILL thinks he's capable whenever my as-yet unspayed b***h comes on heat....some guys just never learn, I guess... :wink: :wink:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Wahayyyyy!!! My little girl has turned into a woman!!!! It started today (on my couch cover, i hasten to add)! She has run around like a mad thing all afternoon, and is now zonked out on the couch (on a cover of her own), sleeping like a baby!! Even missing sitting under our table at dinner, tonight!

Can I get her spayed a few days after her season has finished, or do we need to wait longer? Do we need to keep her on a lead whilst walking her, this next week or so, incase she meets another dog and gets pregnant? (how long does her season last, 7-10 days?).

Thanks,

Karen x

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:05 pm

From someone who has shown and bred Bullmastiffs for over 20 years, my advice, and that of my vet is to spay midway between seasons. Wait at least 2 months for everything to settle back to normal after the season and then do it. I am glad you waited for her to have one season as it does indeed stop problems in later life. In America they spay early which I think is wrong, but In UK always advise to let them have a season first.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 am

Oh big congrats Karen!
two ladies in the house now.aww,its nice isnt it,you kind of relate to how they feel. :wink:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:37 am

Carry a big stick with you when you're walking her as male dogs can be very persistent, and unless she is frigid, she'll want to reciprocate :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Ruby went about a week where she was very keen,and then got nasty towards the end of her season.but then So would i with 47 kilos of "Winston" wanting to do the huckle buck on you. :D

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Karen

Isn't just the way you have now had you mind put at rest that nothing could happen for a while when wham bam it all starts to happen. Normally with their first season it is quite short (but no guarentee) :roll: . As Murbisa says best to leave 2-3 months for those (hormones) to settle down. At least now you know everything is in perfect working order.

Chris

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks everyone for all the tips/advice. Much appreciated. Thankfully we have over 5000m2 for her to run around in, so maybe wont take her out anywhere this week! :D
We have had to go around taking up all rugs as she is "dripping" quite frequently, depite loads of washing down there!
Its strange, these past few weeks shes been wiggling her bum in our little dogs face, and hes been mounting her back...now, he wants nothing to do with her!! She keeps licking him and nipping him as she doesnt know what shes done wrong, and they usually play together all the time! :(
Fingers crossed, it doesnt last too long.... :D

Karen x

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:28 pm

Help!!! How long does this "bloody" season go on for, ´scuse the pun! :D
Its been 15 days now and its still going strong! I thought she would only be in season 7-10 days!

We have had 2 boy dogs tunnel their way into our garden, under the fence, to get to her...thankfully shes a big girl and they are only small boys!!! :lol: I don´t think they could reach!! :lol:

Please tell me this will be finishing soon!...

Karen x

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:51 pm

You have got a bit longer to go yet! Usual season lasts 21 days but can be longer. You are at the critical time now so be careful. Soundas as if she is ovulating if dogs are breaking in. Good luck!

Jane and Terry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane and Terry » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 am

Karen, be really careful and get her checked out. Just because she is bigger than they are does not mean they cannot mate. A female will do all she can to assist, and little dogs will climb on walls etc for extra height, I kid you not. If you have the slightest suspicion that she may have been" got at" take her to the vets because within 72 hours of mating there is an injection that will stop it all. For the future if you do not want her to have surgery there are contraceptive injections available for dogs