Rabies test

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Rabies test

Postby Pink Lady » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Oliveview, Your steps are pretty much correct. My normal vet completed the majority of the passport and left two gaps for the Oficina de Comarcal Agraria to complete. The blood tests results come on a letter which is what you take to the office along with the passport. You can then travel back to the UK 6 months from the date the blood sample was taken from your dog. Don't forget the tick/tapeworm treatment that has to be administered between the 24/48 hour window before you go.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Were you able to work things out Antonia?

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Pink Lady, i think so, on the bottom right hand side of the results it is stamped by the EU approved centre in Germany.

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Great, so you don't have to start all over again :D

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:35 pm

I've just been reading all this thread and what a minefield. My little pup (nearly 6 months) has just had his 2nd rabies injections as he had one in February but I got a call from the vet to say that she would like to give him another one at the beginning of March as a lot of the rabies shots were not working first time on puppies under 6 months!!! As she knew from my conversation with her that I wanted to be able to take him back to England if we were to visit friend and relatives, she decided to do the 2nd shot rather than do the blood test wait for it to come back and then if it did come back negative to go through the same process again and wait all that time again. I agreed to it but was not that happy at giving him a 2nd dose so soon after the previous and bombarding his immune system but thing he is healthy enough to cope. So now the waiting begins.

Chris

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Chris, yes what a minefield! I have now been through the process from start to finish, only took 5 months!!! My vet doesn't give the rabies vaccine to dogs less than 6 months old. She thinks it is often ineffective at such a young age and too strong for their systems to cope with. She is probably quite a modern vet for Spain :) If the blood test is negative the lab contact your vet within a couple of weeks to inform you so that another test can be taken. Has you vet told you about the Heartworm vaccine? I have met quite a few people whose vets haven't told them about this vaccine but it is another nasty disease carried by mosquitos. They can have the vaccine at 6 months. So many things to cover here for dogs !

ChrisA
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ChrisA » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks Pru no she has not mentioned that one!!! I am going to see her on the 18th to get Dylan's blood test done so a few question to ask her now when I go. Luckly she speaks pretty good English :D Hope all is well with you Dylan is doing really well with training and already doing down and sit from hand signal only but the come is beginning to be intermittent (getting to that age).