Funeral insurance

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Funeral insurance

Postby Jool » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Can anyone recommend good companies for this and are there any that offer green or eco funerals?

Any ideas of what kind of premium to pay? We´ve had one quote but it seems quite high to me, however I´ve nothing to compare it with and know there are some more dubious companies in this profession............

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: Funeral insurance

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Hiya Jool, How's my little ray of sunshine doing? :mrgreen:

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Hiya Jool, How's my little ray of sunshine doing? :mrgreen:

DA
:lol: :lol: Nearly spat my coffee out there DA

Sorry Jool, but it just made me laugh. I know absolutely nothing about funeral insurance, green, eco or otherwise. But I kind of don't really care much what happens when I'm gone, I might even try some of that companionship planting you posted in the garden forum, that would be classed as eco surely :wink:

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi Jool

Try asking your local undertaker, we did this and he acts as an agent but just for funeral insurance.
This year we paid €260 for the two of us aged 59 & 61. Everything included.
He didn't offer an 'eco' package, but we had the opportunity to make some decisions.
So, when the time comes, it just takes one phone call to the undertaker and he takes control, relieving the burden from a surviving partner, if there is one!!!

gretch

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:50 pm

I was quoted 10€ per month total for my husband and I (56 and 53 years) from a local insurance company. That is for a funeral in Spain though. No way do I want to be transported back to the UK for a funeral! A nice warm fire will do me :lol:
I have tried to look into some of the expat funeral plans but I can´t seem to find out actually how safe your money is if you live another 30 years! Are they ´underwritten´ by an insurance company?

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Thank you Olive and Gretch - 56 per month for one person was the best offer we have so far so quite a huge difference.....it does relieve a lot of stress on the survivor as all is arranged for you (in our case surviving each other alive is probably harder..... :roll: ) but cremation is not very good for the environment and I can think of a lot of people who would contribute a lot to greenhouse gases, if you see what I mean......... :wink:

and it was Jade Goody who reminded me of my green credentials......Epping Forest is not for me but something a little better than a municipal oven somewhere unknown.......and how do you get the ashes back here in Spain (if you do?)

Seriously having lost 3 relatives so far this year has focused my mind.....note the so far.....its a fairly live current issue....

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:42 am

I'm curious here........... As an insurance broker (Ireland) I get people in their 60's looking for life assurance all the time. Why not look for a small level of life assurance (€7,000) to cover the funeral ?

karen4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby karen4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:18 am

Leave your body to medical research and they'll pay for the funeral when the time comes.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 am

Let's hope for a big bomb sometime in the future.
Instant cremation.
Cost free.
:lol:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:29 pm

The thought of being put in a wall in Spain and then moved after a few years (if the family have paid for the removal and re-burial that is) does not appeal, I know it isn´t ´green´ to be cremated but at least the family have no grave to worry about the upkeep of. It is ok if you have a big family about you, but if we are here and the rest of the family back in the UK who will want to come and put flowers on my grave :(
The quote we had was for a Spanish funeral- we have yet to go and find out the full details involved.
Sorry I got the figure wrong I quoted..... it was 20€ a month for the pair of us NOT 10€ :oops: The quote was from Santalucia Seguros.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:41 pm

There was a thread a while back about this, various companies mentioned. We use Europea, costs 20€ a month for two of us, 55 and 66 years young. Plan includes, mass, hearse, cremation or interment (you choose) car for mourners, wreath, widows weeds,documentation etc. We even get an inpatient benefit of 6€ per day of one of us needs surgery! As to getting the ashes back after a cremation, they can be available as quickly as 2 hours after, depends on the crematorium. But you do get them back in a sealed urn if you want to take the ashes back to the UK on a plane.
I can spell but I can't type

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm

I just Googled "alternative funerals spain" and turned up one company offering "natural burials"...but only of ashes.
I spot a "niche" opening here for some enterprising expat :lol:

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:00 pm

hillybilly wrote:I just Googled "alternative funerals spain" and turned up one company offering "natural burials"...but only of ashes.
I spot a "niche" opening here for some enterprising expat :lol:
Your dead right

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:19 pm

I know a few ex pats who've a lot of experience with spirits if that's a help :shock:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 pm

Life insurance is no good as it does not pay out fast enough and time in cold storage costs money. My main reason for wanting OH to have it as well as me is because the company you insured with get the funeral director to do everything for you so its hassle free at an upsetting time....

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:29 pm

So, is hubby not allowed to just throw me overboard? (After they've taken out any re-usable bits obviously). Do I have to have a ring through my nose, or is that optional nowadays?

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am

As to getting the ashes back after a cremation, they can be available as quickly as 2 hours after
I thought it took at least four hours for full rendition to ashes!