LHD Spanish Registered Cars Bought in UK

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

LHD Spanish Registered Cars Bought in UK

Postby mi_tampoco » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:39 pm

I think this is a simple question, and I wonder if there’s a simple answer…

In the UK it’s possible to buy LHD Spanish registered cars, complete with all the Spanish paperwork for it.

If I were to buy one here and bring it to Spain, becoming a resident, I understand that there is some risk of ‘buying debts’ with it. (I imagine these debts would be along the lines of parking tickets, speeding tickets etc)

Is there a way to get some ‘clearance’ (before purchase) on a particular car if I know its registration number?

ValL
Resident

Re: LHD Spanish Registered Cars Bought in UK

Postby ValL » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Yes it is possible, you need somebody to check with Trafico for unpaid fines, unpaid road tax and embargo. Best to use a gestor to do this for you.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I believe the charge for a spanish 'HPI' check is 20 euros,(that's what the car dealers pay anyway) but no doubt the gestor will want to put his 'mark up' on it.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 am

me_tampoco,

Yes, there are ways to check on unpaid traffic fines, unpaid time payments and so on in Spain, the Spanish equivalent of HPI. You want a "Nota Simple" from the Traffic Department about fines and tickets, and you want another "Nota Simple" from the Registro de Bienes Muebles. These notes say whether any charges or payments are outstanding. They are just the same as the "Nota Simple" you get from the Property Registry when you buy a property.

I suppose you are informed about needing the Ficha Tecnica and the Permiso de Circulacion and the Transfer Form signed by both parties and presenting the Passport if British or DNI if Spanish of the buyer and seller, and paying the transfer tax of 4 per cent and the fees.

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mi_tampoco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Not at all sure I know how this works…

From the UK How do I carry out the Traffic Department/Trafico check and the Registro de Bienes Muebles check?

Concerning the “Ficha Tecnica and the Permiso de Circulacion and the Transfer Form signed by both parties and presenting the Passport if British or DNI if Spanish of the buyer and seller, and paying the transfer tax of 4 per cent and the fees…” is that again something I can do from the UK (or indeed must do from the UK) or can it be done on arrival in Spain?

One thing that occurs to me is that if buying from a UK dealer, they mention “all Spanish paperwork available” so I presume I’m looking for something signed by the previous owner (likely to be a returning expat I guess) and other things?

Essentially, I don’t know what I’m looking for here as you’ve probably gathered.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi mi_tampoco,
If you're lucky the car should have "Tarjeta Inspeccion Technica de Vehiculos" this is green A5 size ish.
Has details of vehicle and any ITV (MOT) tests that have been carried out. If the vehicle is old enough for a test it should also have a sticker in the right hand side of the windscreen. This will have the month and year that test is valid to. Current year 09 is red, 010 is green and 011 is yellow, some vehicles don't have to be tested every year.
Next "Permiso De Ciculacion" again green A5 ish size with information of owner, address and vehicle ID.
In Jaen province we have a A4 size "IMP. Vehiculos Traccion Mecanica" (That's the local road Tax to you and me) Again with the owners address and vehicle details, the form should be stamped with the paid date and the bottom 1/3 will be missing as that has gone to the bank. This last one might be province dependant.
Unless these cars are silly cheap it would be best to buy locally (Spain) when you arrive and get in with a local Gestor that specializes in cars.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mi_tampoco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks to all posters so far on this, it’s reassuring to get some useful facts.

Thanks Enrique for your very detailed information on what to look for, it’s precisely what will help me to know what I’m looking at, and looking for. I’m pretty certain a car salesman in SE England isn’t going to worry too much about the Spanish documentation.

In answer to your “unless these cars are silly cheap” question, from what I’ve heard, second hand cars aren’t cheap in Spain. Additionally, we need to drive to Spain in order to get our pets (two cats) there in a timely manner.

I’m just about to redo my spreadsheet of the comparative costs, but from what I recall from last year, it was roughly £800 for the journey. If I were to do that in a UK car that needs to go back, I’d be £800 down for the return journey.

I’m no great fan of a 1400 mile journey, but doing it this way I could spend more on a better car that I know I’d be keeping for a few years once safely in Spain.

I’ll obviously be interested to hear back from David re my 12:34 pm post above as to how to get the information when I’m still in the UK.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi mi_tampoco,
You could do "like what I did " :)
Bring my 6 year old RHD car over and get it onto Spanish plates with in the six months, all for 800€ plus the lights. I see other posters have sold their RHD lights on e-bay.

mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mi_tampoco » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi Enrique.

Thanks for your help, but we won’t be sticking with RHD in Spain.

It makes no sense to us.

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:15 pm

I think it makes a lot of sense. Don't for one moment think that buying a spanish registered car in the UK will be plain sailing when you are greeted by Spanish bureaucracy concerning second hand motors. Either bring your UK car over and matriculate for €800 to €1,000, or bring it over and flog it (not a good idea) or buy a spanish car over here.

You will have a far better, cheaper car if you bring your RHD over.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Enrique wrote:Hi mi_tampoco,
You could do "like what I did " :)
Bring my 6 year old RHD car over and get it onto Spanish plates with in the six months, all for 800€ plus the lights. I see other posters have sold their RHD lights on e-bay.
we did this 5 years ago, but then was told it had to be re-matriculated sooner than the 6 months...and ended up with a hefty importation tax bill!!! :shock:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Hi Karandjon,
At the time I did mine (2006) it was a % of the "book"price reduced by the age of the car.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 pm

ah yes. we paid that as expected, but the extra €1500 we paid was because we hadn´t re-registered it within 31days (i think) of arriving. We thought we had the 6 months! I don´t know if this is still the case though, as i cant see anyone getting around to registering it, getting lights changed etc, within the first few weeks of arriving! :D

Karen x

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi Karandjon,
Sounds more like to do with your personal status in Spain.

Getting back to the topic :roll:
If you have a good current UK car then it seems the best way to go initially when you come over.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 pm

yes, i would definitely do it as soon as you are over, as it defeats the object having to pay importation tax! At least if you do it in the first week or 2 there is no way they can say it should have been done sooner. :D
Good luck.

karen x

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi,
I know SL got one done in two weeks, mine took four months from start to fitting the plates :(
Delays with engineers report, and what had to be removed taking the time. It was only a bog standard Kangoo with a tow-bar. :roll:

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Ah, tow bar. Not on the certificate of conformity - big problem. Make sure your UK car is "standard" - and that means standard, ie as manufactured. No darkened windows, no replacement alloys, no chrome exhaust - and no tow bar!

There is no import, or importation tax. The charges are for registration/matriculation.

mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mi_tampoco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Yes, I know all about matriculation fun.

I actually meant that sitting on the wrong side of the car would not be the greatest aid to driving. Along the lines of overtaking safely, car park ticket machines, toll booths etc.

From August 17th:
From the UK How do I carry out the Traffic Department/Trafico check and the Registro de Bienes Muebles check?
Concerning the “Ficha Tecnica and the Permiso de Circulacion and the Transfer Form signed by both parties and presenting the Passport if British or DNI if Spanish of the buyer and seller, and paying the transfer tax of 4 per cent and the fees…” is that again something I can do from the UK (or indeed must do from the UK) or can it be done on arrival in Spain?
Is David Searl not going to revisit threads to complete the picture?

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi there,

We went through the same process recently, as we are also relocation (next week) and have two cats to bring with us! In the end, I decided to send the cats by transportation on road which is costing £480 for the two of them. I have been assured by many people who have used this service that the animals cope extremely well with this method. Anyway, I have digressed from the issue of the car! I went over a couple of weeks ago and purchased a car which I will collect the day after we fly over. Cars are expensive in Spain, but at least I have a two year warranty on a second hand car bought through a dealer. The paperwork wasn't an issue. I just gave my passport number. For us, the cost of driving down and the headache and worry of any Spanish beaurocracy issues was too much.

mi_tampoco
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mi_tampoco » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Lynn.

Good luck for next week!

We are going to revisit our comparative costs sheet following this research. Who did the pet transport for you? That’s a good deal cheaper than we were quoted for two cats.

Do you have a removals recommendation too? We are Surrey to Almeria, so not hugely different from you.

I have no objection to buying my car in Spain, but this is one option that we couldn’t resist exploring if the right car is available with all the correct Spanish paperwork.