Hand Guns

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Hand Guns

Postby country boy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:29 pm

Can I ask the Experts; is it legal for a private citizen to own a hand gun in Spain, either for personal protection or for pistol shooting. Obviously there is licensing requirement if it is permissible, how does one obtain such.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hand Guns

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Lots of info at http://www.shootingspain.com/index.html

Looks like it's not easy to get a FAC in Spain but possible.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Mentioning personal protection in the UK would earn you a little black cross next to your name probably meaning you'd be turned down for a water pistol license if you ever applied again, and I've been advised gun control is even stricter in Spain....even for shotgun licenses so don't say that whatever you do :lol:

Close friend wanted to bring his rifle out to his place on the campo but gave up in the end as he said laws and especially providing details of land where it was to be used proved the task to be more than it was worth.

DA
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

sunray
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunray » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm

You will find all the info you want here: http://www.guardiacivil.org/quesomos/or ... encias.jsp

You can download the questions and answers and print them out and learn the answers. The questions are easy enough if you know your way around guns and shooting, but obviously you will have to learn the extra vocabulary involved. You will also need to have an examination, a reconocimiento, to determine your "mental state". You can get this at the same places as the medical for the driving licences, also no previous convictions, may need a CRB check from UK. Then usually membership of either a shooting club or hunting society.

When you say you want a handgun for personal protection do you really mean a concealed carry situation away from your home? If so you will have to have a very,very good reason. If for home defense then go for a shotgun; easier to get and more effective.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks for that Sunray, v. useful.
Sunray Minor

Thanks also Sid, just the job!
CB

My old S&W .38-200 would dearly love to join me again, but perhaps not eh? :wink:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Country boy, I know you've been around a.com for a while so I've no wish to denigrate your posting, however, as a long time hunter (50 years) and the owner of a number of guns may I get right in your face and ask why you, or anyone else would want to own a concealed weapon, which I assume is what we're discussing.
The ownership and handling of weapons is a resposibility not to be taken lightly, I don't mind if you pm me about this matter due to the sensitivity of it.
Ah! the full english!!