Non Paying Tenants

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Non Paying Tenants

Postby lorraine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:44 am

I am sure this subject has been widely debated and us Landlords can only wait and pray for a change in the law, but is there a central register of people who have moved in paid one months rent and then paid no more?
We have been unlucky enough to encounter such people and soon our court order will mean they are moving on and no doubt picking on some other poor unsuspecting soul much like we used to be.

I cannot believe that it can be so easy if you have no conscience at all, these people seemed honourable, they are infact pensioners who have lived in Spain for some time and even have had their own business, yet by the time we evict them they will owe us about 10000 euros, we are lucky to have managed to retain ownership as our bank eventually helped us out.
I dread this couple taking in some other property owners and doing the same to them, we know they will as they have not been in the least bit bothered about doing this to us.
We will now only do holiday lets to people we know or who are recommended and count ourselves lucky to still have ownership of our villa, we do however dread to see the state these people will leave it in.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non Paying Tenants

Postby Jool » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:58 pm

Find ways of making them identifiable on forums, or name them and say they are ex tenants of yours looking for a rental and that after a long leaving period they are now moving on and you are more than happy to pass on references regarding your experiences with them - this will alert people to a possible problem without being libelous........

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:52 pm

once you have won a court case against them is it still libelous to write the exact truth and name names??

lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lorraine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:07 pm

I dont know if its libel, after all it is the truth, but I am happy to say that these are pensioners in the area around Fuengirola who are full of spin, if you get someone matching this description looking to rent your property ask for references from their previous landlords , trouble is I suppose these can be faked, anyway I know their names if you get enquiries I can easily tell you if its the same people, just send a pm. Isnt it time we got together and wiped out this activity.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:56 pm

What irony!

You are owed 10 grand by non paying tenants- and due to the way the law is in Spain we have had to give 10 grand to our ex landlord even when we paid faithfully for all the time we spend in his apartment. :evil:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about libel. They are hardly going to take you to court. Name and shame them.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Lorraine,

As far as I know, there is no list of non-paying tenants in Spain. There does exist a list of "morosos" or debtors, which is widely consulted, but it concentrates on those who have fallen behind in their car payments, or major appliances purchased on time, or mortgages.

Your only recourse, as I suppose you already know, is to bring a normal lawsuit against them, if you can find them. Yes, hundreds of landlords have suffered from these tricksters. See pages 120-121 of You and the Law in Spain for advice on minimising the damage.

Thanks for your post, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:26 pm

For Julian,

Once a court decision has been made final and public, it is a matter of record and can be cited without fear of a libel action. The full name of the person can be used.

Best Regards, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

lorrainenotinspain
Tourist

Postby lorrainenotinspain » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Unfortunately the courts in spain are not working in August, so how about that, non paying tenants in our villa for the whole month of August, peak rental, but we get not a penny. Landlords beware.
We hope sincerely that our letting agent is right and these crooks will settle out of court, i could really do with the money having paid the mortgage on my credit card this year! plus the court costs. Well when we get rid of the Witch as I call her I will be doing just holiday lets to friends and family.

Hard lesson to learn.

Dont understand the message from the tenants who had to pay their landlord 10000 euros Why!! ? No explanation in your message.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Look for my thread, it´s a very long story but we got conned the other way around by our landlord, taken to court and now we are paying him 10,000 euros for nothing - not funny when you have a mortgage and the joint outgoings for the court case and the mortgage are more than what I earn a month.