medical certificates, backless shoes and driving

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
tjtops
Resident

medical certificates, backless shoes and driving

Postby tjtops » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am

I've been told that since May it's been 'law' for ANYONE (resident or non resident) to have -- and carry -- a special 'medical' certificate if driving on a UK (EU) licence....and that without it, the insurance is invalid -- not to mention the risk of being fined. (I know that Spanish residents, dirivng on Spanish licences, have always had to have a medical every so many years etc, but I didn't think this applied to non-residents...(?))
I've also been told there are only certain places you can go to to take the test, which apparently involves co-ordination, eyesight, reflexes etc, and is done, in Spanish, on a computer.
So....please can someone give me the definitive answers: is all this correct? Is it being enforced? Does anyone know of any cases of peeps being hauled up for it??

I've also been told that it is now against the law to drive in 'backless' shoes (ie flip flops etc) here??? Again, same questions as above......
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: medical certificates, backless shoes and driving

Postby katy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:56 am

If you do a search there are a few threads on the medical procedure. We heard it on local radio a few years ago that the certificate was necessary so we got them just incase.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:21 am

Hi tjtops,
Has anyone seem this on UK sites that tell you what is required to drive in Spain :?: like they do with hi-vis jackets and two triangles . We are talking tourist........non-resident ( is this the same ?) for info.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 am

The medical requirement has been there for some time now (January 2006 to be precise) but it only applies to residents. Unfortunately the law is not entirely clear about when you need to have this medical so, if you are a resident, it makes sense to have it now if you haven't already done so.

As for insurance, it's about the only item that is bound to invalidate your (Spanish) policy because it does require that you have a licence which is valid in Spain and that means, if resident, a medical with your UK licence.

You have to use a special medical centre in the province in which you live and you can find a list on the Trafico website - costs around €35 or possibly more if the want to overcharge you as it is a "special" test rather than one which is part of a licence application. It's not a very thorough test but if you have eyesight problems they will be picked up. The thoroughness differs from centre to centre.

There have been cases reported on the Internet of fines, for residents with UK licences, for not having a certificate.

This just adds even more ammunition to the argument that residents should get a Spanish licence (which does not entail a medical until first renewal).

Yes, driving barefoot or in backless shoes is illegal and people have definitely been fined.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:02 am

As for insurance, it's about the only item that is bound to invalidate your (Spanish) policy because it does require that you have a licence which is valid in Spain and that means, if resident, a medical with your UK licence.
OK....so if you're technically non resident then?? And this is where I'm confused cos surely an EU licence is 'valid in Spain'.....ooooo me head hurts!!!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:30 am

Under EU rules member states are able to impose their own restrictions on the use of foreign driving licences.

The Lacibis clinic in Alhaurín el Grande does these tests. It is just up the road from the post office, just around the corner from the Farmacia.
Let's go Brandon!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:53 am

Aha...thanks Beach x

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:06 pm

Beachcomber wrote:Under EU rules member states are able to impose their own restrictions on the use of foreign driving licences. .
Just to expand on that, I don't think they are allowed to impose any "special" conditions, merely to impose the same conditions that they apply to Spanish licence holders.

In this case it is just the periods of validity of the licence and the medical requirements.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks, Sid, that's what I meant. I didn't express it very well. :oops:

Just one other point about these certificates. They are only valid for three months but this is when you are renewing a Spanish driving licence. I suppose one just needs to work out the period of validity for oneself based on one's age and date of issue. It all seems a bit hit and miss to me. :?
Let's go Brandon!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 pm

Beachcomber wrote: It all seems a bit hit and miss to me. :?
It surely is!

However it gives our little green friends infinite possibilities to apply their own interpretation and fine accordingly!

Sid

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:04 pm

They are only valid for three months
Eh????
Shurely not....you can't tell me the Spanish have to do this every three months during the period of validity of their licence???? :roll:
I give up.......now I REALLY don't know what to do cos I'm damned if I'm paying 35e every 3 months just to satisfy yet another piece of bureaucracy which makes no sense at all...unless as Cid says it's just to line the pockets of our lttle green friends.......

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:39 pm

no, you clearly do not have to renew it every 3 months!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Absolutely!

When you renew your Spanish licence it may well only be valid for 3 months as you only get the certificate as part of the renewal process.

If you interpret the law relating to "foreign" licences, you would need to renew it in line with the Spanish renewal periods which are every 5 years after age 45 and every 2 years after 70 (these are changing soon to 10 and 5 years respectively).

Sid

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:57 pm

So do you need to have a medical if you are under the age of 45?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:01 pm

crazyred wrote:So do you need to have a medical if you are under the age of 45?
Yes, but the licence is valid for 10 years so the medical will last the same time - but then a UK photo licence is only valid 10 years.

It's so much easier to get a Spanish licence if you reside in Spain - I think that may have been said a few times previously!

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:40 am

tjtops wrote:
They are only valid for three months
Eh????
Shurely not...
This is why I said it is hit and miss. The certificate is valid for three months when renewing your Spanish licence. So, you need to renew your licence within three months of the certificate being issued.

However, in the case of a foreign driving licence it presumably lasts for the duration of the period of validity of the licence, ie. when you renew your foreign licence you have to get another certificate but none of this is in writing as far as I can see and you may be stopped and fined for having an out of date certificate.

This could clearly be contested but at what cost?
Let's go Brandon!

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 am

I believe the only safe thing to do is, if you are resident in Spain, get a Spanish licence.

There are several reasons for this (in no particular order).

1. The medical is not needed if you are a tourist but it is if you are resident.
2. Keeping UK licence and medical certificate means another bit of paper to carry around with you.
3. Once you become resident in Spain your UK licence becomes illegal in UK unless you are also resident there (invalid address on it). It is a requirement in UK that your current address is on the UK licence. Overseas addresses are not allowed.
4. Saves any arguments with the Guardia

I am sure there are other arguments, mostly previously posted throughout Andalucia.com but it just makes sense all round to me, if living permanently in Spain, get a Spanish driving licence.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Campo Steve wrote: 3. Once you become resident in Spain your UK licence becomes illegal in UK unless you are also resident there (invalid address on it).
I agree totally with you about changing over but what you say above is not true.

If you are resident in Spain, DVLA are quite happy that you still have a UK address on the licence. If you visit the UK temporarily it is perfectly legal to use that licence.

If you return permanently then you must correct the address to your current UK address.

Sid

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:25 pm

How does that tie in with what the DVLA say on their web site?

This is what it says...

"Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence."
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:36 pm

El Cid wrote: DVLA are quite happy that you still have a UK address on the licence.
I believe the wording is "a valid address", so not necessarily where you live in the UK, but an address where if the DVLA need to write to you, it will find you. Obviously if trafico radar & cameras pick you up for speeding in Spain, there must be a way of sending you the notice of fine and penalty points.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.