old driving licience

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

old driving licience

Postby sheilap » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:12 pm

I have an old style driving licience as form the UK, I objected to having to pay for the new photo licience (tight Scot LOL )but do i have to, by spanish law to change it to a Spanish licience

dxf
Resident

Re: old driving licience

Postby dxf » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:51 am

Hi

From memory, you have to have a photo licence to drive abroad. However things change and it all depends on the man in the green uniform at the time he stops you.

Davexf

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:47 pm

I read someone that you can use your british licence in Spain but it converts to a Spanish one if you become a resident in Spain. What this would mean is that it would have the same lifespan as a Spanish issued one, and not the long lifespan of those old Green paper ones, I think the Spanish ones are for 5 years only. (somebody could confirm or correct this)So after this time your licence would be illegal.
There are other benifits of having a new style driving licence. the most important being, you can use it for ID in shops instead of you passport, if you don't have a residence card .

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Does it cost much to change it over yourself?

I've quoted €90 locally. Seems a bit expensive.

If I go to the Trafic Office in Malaga with all the appropriate papers, how much will it cost me?
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi

From memory the cost of changing a licence is 20 euros

Davexf

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 am

not sure of the total cost now, but don't forget the medical. It cost us 25€ each for the medical. when we changed

DavidSearl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DavidSearl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:04 pm

FROM DAVID SEARL

SHEILAP RE OLD DRIVING LICENCE

1. Even the old paper UK licences with no photo are driving permits issued legally by a member state of the European Union and so they are valid in all countries of the EU. You can use the old paper licence in Spain. Be sure to have your passport with you as well for photo identification.

2. There is no requirement by the UK for holders of the old paper licence to exchange them for new plastic cards with photos.

3. There is no requirement to exchange the old paper licence for a Spanish licence when you take up residency in Spain. You may continue to use it, along with the passport, but remember the medical exam discussed elsewhere is necessary every 10 years up to age 45, every five years after that to age 70, and every two years after that.

4. The exam, at any official medical testing centre, and there are many, usually costs around 30 euros. Some centres are very thorough and others are very casual, but the exam is not difficult, and you get your eyes checked for free.

5. If you wish to exchange your old paper licence for a Spanish licence, you may do so. In fact, you are encouraged to do so. You will need to supply a photograph. The cost for licence exchange is 26 euros at the Traffic Department. If you want a gestoria to lead you through the process, they will charge their own separate fee for the service.

5. For complete treatment, see the section on Driving in Spain in "You and the Law in Spain".

Good luck with it, David Searl
You and the Law in Spain

sheilap
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sheilap » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:00 pm

The information here is fantastic thanks . I aleway's carry my passport and my old licience and any thing else they require(my inside leg measurment) LOL but I think I must be draged into the 21st century and conform with the country I am in
love to all