UK Road Tax, do we need it?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Re: UK Road Tax, do we need it?

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm with you on that Miro!!
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:37 pm

tarotwoman wrote:ashtondav,

What car are you looking at to quote those prices? My 12 year old Fiat Punto (British but now on Spanish matricula) costs about 250 euros insurance, 40 euros tax, and 34 itv. Bigger cars cost more.
When I first came to Spain to live they wanted over 1000 euros for insurance everywhere because they would'nt take into account my no claims built up in th UK , I phoned "linea directa" and they did respect my no claims and quoted me about 350 euros fully comp on a brand new car.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:22 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, get quotes from several companies and then play off one against the other. By doing that Linea Directa dropped their quote for me by over €200. They finished up the cheapest, which I was pleased about as I wanted to stay with them, having had good service from them in the past.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 pm

markwilding wrote:
I phoned "linea directa" and they did respect my no claims and quoted me about 350 euros fully comp on a brand new car.

Was it a Dinky?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:54 am

Bongtrees wrote:
Was it a Dinky?
no even better . it came out of a christmas cracker, I have traded it in since though for a matchbox, although I'm not very happy with it, so i think I will go mad next time and buy a Dinky.

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sick and tired » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:51 am

my understanding is you can have the car in spain for 6 months drive to uk for 24 hours mot and tax while there return and still be within the law as not exporting the car and not overstaying in spain basically two trips a year keeps it clean

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:25 am

That's perfectly true - the car is legal and can stay in Spain for as long as it stays legal.

As I said in an earlier post, the problem is that you cannot drive it for more than six months in one calendar year and if you are a resident you cannot drive it at all.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51 am

El Cid wrote: if you are a resident
And it is worth repeating that this applies when you have been in Spain, including your travelling time to get here from the point of leaving the UK, for 183 days continuously - nothing to do with whether you have signed anything or not.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 am

No Peter - it is a total of 183 days in one calendar year - they don't have to be continuous.

At this point you become, de facto, a Spanish tax resident.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:46 am

Thanks Sid - it is a bit complicated!
The commonest rubbish I hear is "I am not a resident because I want to stay British". The points are that you need do nothing except live here for long enough, and you become a resident by definition, and that of course you will always be British all the time you have a British passport (although a very very few take Spanish citizenship).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Campo Steve wrote:I've seen £2000 cars in the UK that wouldn't make it down here and back.

I guess it comes down to what you want. Personally we preferred to get down here as quickly as possible (that's why we bought here) and couldn't be bothered sitting in a car for a couple of days. Three hours on a plane was enough. Enjoying ourselves here was more important to us than saving a couple of quid on a few bottles of wine. Also helped that we smoke and what we saved on fags paid for our flights for 4 years.

But if you are happy driving, fair enough.
Good sensible post Steve Im sick of hearing about the cheapest this and the cheapest that, for gods sake, we only live once, I'm not prepared to spend hours trolling around a supermarket looking for a bottle of plonk for "under 10 euros", and why for gods sake do the brits insist on bringing a brit car with them? want to know? I'll tell you, most of them, that is MOST of the ones who do this are running from something, probably debt, the thought process goes like this, I'll take my car that saves god knows what on flights plus we can take all our **** with us, we will also have a car to run around in for the foreseeable future, etc etc, it's basically all about running and hiding from their responsibilities, that's why there are so many brit cars running around untaxed, uninsured, untested.
Anyone who tells you they "prefer" for whatever reason (none of them practical) to have a right hand car in a left hand driving country is probably lying.
As a matter of interest I have a left hand drive 20 year old Nissan patrol, diesel that's worth every penny of six or seven grand that I keep down here but I woudn't sell it!!
Ah! the full english!!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:08 pm

A Guy I know who's just gone back to the UK, did a car swop with someone moving over here