Removals transport sharing a van/lorry

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Removals transport sharing a van/lorry

Postby Big Col » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Dear all

Please please be aware!!! if you share a van,or load on a lorry please make sure that the Business you are using have good references and check them!! good feed back and references are a must!.

below is a terible example of what can happen if you dont carry out the simple checks, or share space in a van with someone elses you dont know!!
below is a terible example

We sadly couldnt carry out a move 2 weeks ago from Spain to UK due to change of time table for ferry.
The most honest and nicest folks you can meet From Galera went with another company, which then load was then split

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 281610.stm

What makes it worse for us, is that this is a family who most of us will know,and were local to the forum.

Of course if your family or closest freinds and you share thats great,but please be carefull

Another case of this happend to another family a Month ago,form Cadiz

Its very much like sharing a suit case at a airport with someone you dont know!!

Also make sure that when agreeing the price for your move, you have it in writing,other wise you can get caught out at the other end, and if you dont pay the money they want, you dont get your belongings!

There is plenty of choice of Removal businesses arround, in fact any business or trade!! Recomendation,Refences,and word of mouth is key to not getting into trouble,

Like any service, Building, plumbing,estate agents, check their work,speak to peaple who have used them before.

And unless your sharing with really good friends,or the transport company has good refences, be very very carefull, or theres no problem in saving money, go hire a van and do the move yourselves.but unless its family please be carefull sharing space in a van/lorry. If anybody wants route planers they are easy to get from the internet.

We at euromover have been in customs explaining away

boxes containing *beep*, not ilegal, but embarissing for us
(not confisated)
boxes with ilegal DVD copies(confiscated)
Non declared tobaco and drink (conviscated)
and a Rifel, (I found this when loading)
and a neighing horse ( true) surrounded by customs and good christmas cheer(and they still remember this at Portsmouth)

like any service be carefull

Colin

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: Removals transport sharing a van/lorry

Postby Bongtrees » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:20 am

Big Col wrote: And unless your sharing with really good friends,or the transport company has good refences, be very very carefull, or theres no problem in saving money, go hire a van and do the move yourselves.but unless its family please be carefull sharing space in a van/lorry. If anybody wants route planers they are easy to get from the internet.

I am sure that you posted this story in good faith, however, having had the misfortune of using a company that your daughter recommended, nobody is safe from a badly run outfit or the cowboys.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:20 pm

We now dont like passing other companys details on, because of companies letting customers down(as bongtrees post) whether it be car transporting or/removals.

We have just recently been messed around a Blue chip PLC company, that has misplaced their and our cutomers storage crate.Our customer is still waiting to hear if they have found it,

Folks can have a bad experiance from any company, and any trade, whether small, national, or international,but most of them thankfully do give a good service.

Take care

Col

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Im afraid its down to the "nobody cares atitude" everyone I seem to come across nowadays just seem to want your money.
Thats it for now

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 pm

Col....my sympathies are with you on this one. For every one decent family here (and there are some...I still like to believe) there are 10 ars****les who will try to take advantage....thank goodness it wasn't you they took advantage of on this occasion.
Folks.....very soon if this goes on there won't be ANY removal companies that you can trust...cos they will all have been locked up for trying to take 'naughty' things into the YUK....oooh...a Freudian slip there.... :lolno:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:47 pm

Anyone remember the drugs found on one removals near Granada a long time ago. The Guardia gave all the preishables to the local Nuns, including Fletchers sliced bread!

Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Big Col » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Thank you all for your moments,

I think im lucky, because 80% of our business comes from this forum, and the folks that we work for have some history either recomendations or direct from the forum.

We all know the financial situation is dire at the moment.
there are more folks moving back to the UK than moving to Spain.
And weve had to be more cautious when we get enquiries out side of the forum

Kellys has calls from peaple all over, Spain of course, France, Bugaria etc, but believe it or not we havent taken the work on.proberly missed out on genuine Removals. but better to be safe than sorry

A enquiry has to feel good. just like a customer has to feel good with their service provider
there has to be trust, and honesty on both sides

Thats why Im grateful for the suport of this forum, Recomendations are the best way of getting work.

And Im too old and knackered to get locked up!! :lol: :lol:

col x

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Too old??? Never!
I think you're probably wise though......
All the best Col -- I'm sure I speak for all on here who have come to know you. Long may your business continue and prosper, and your health remain good. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Col,I was on the ferry with your van on the 3rd Feb and hope your man passed on my good wishes to you.
tjtops,it`s not just the removal companies that you cannot trust,there are still a lot of good removal guys out there.I like to think that I am 100% trustworthy and like Big Col always do the job to the best of my ability.
On trustworthiness,I require my customers to sign a Movement of Goods Certificate,declaring that they have packed the boxes themselves or under their direct supervision and that they contain no alcohol,tobacco,drugs,firearms or any illegal substance and provide a packing list.
Last year a customer duly signed the document and the day before I was due to leave for the UK,she phoned up to say that there were 2 large holdalls they could not get into the car and could I get them in the lorry along with the rest of her stuff.No problem,I went in my car picked up the 2 holdalls and put them in the lorry.
When I delivered her goods in England she said "Oh I`m glad to see the holdalls made it safely." I asked why and she said "I`ve got 6 months worth of fags in there"
When I told her that she could have had my lorry impounded for that she said that they were for personal use.It doesn`t matter,we as removal men are not allowed to take cigarettes or alcohol into the country for anyone else.I told her that she should have given me a couple of suitcases of clothes and she could have taken the fags herself.She said I won`t do it again,"Damn right you won`t because you will not be in my lorry and your name will be passed to my mates in the removal industry to make sure she doesn`t catch them out.
I`m convinced she knew exactly what she was doing and just didn`t want to be carrying them herself.

Jimbo :wink:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Jimbo

How are you doing ?
Nice to see you on here. Hope you are keeping busy back and fourth. Not been the best winter weather this year for you long distance drivers, take care

Julie, La Alcazaba Adra.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi Julie,

I`m great thanks,still trucking back and fore.
I haven`t been too badly affected by the weather,managed to miss most of the bad stuff,but did get stuck in France for 2 days in January with snow when the Bilbao ferry was in for refit.
Hope you are keeping well.

Jimbo :wave: