The summer from hell perhaps?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

The summer from hell perhaps?

Postby princess peach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Got to thinking over the weekend..with all this excess water lying about everywhere...are we all going to be plagued by Mossies this year???had some huge ones in the house already. :( nooooooo

kexon
Resident

Re: The summer from hell perhaps?

Postby kexon » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:21 pm

In a word yep!I think its going to be a super summer if your a fly,mozzie or ant etc,just think you have had months and months of wet and warm weather super! Actually as the horrendous winds kicked in yesterday and threatened to take the car port roof and dump it in the campo somewhere I thought well what next plagues of locusts perhaps?

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:36 pm

you havn´t got out of winter yet and now you´re worrying about the problems of next summer!!..when do you guys get to relax and enjoylife ?? :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 pm

umm,think you mean THIS summer J???
I havent relaxed in nearly 7 years of being in Spain,I constantly worry...Doctors,sons career,sons schooling,plants,mossies,my moto....oh i could go on... :crazy:
I dont enjoy living here...i plod on.... :thumbup: :lol: and try not to have a nervous breakdown :think:

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks PP for that post I thought it was only me!!lol
I always say if the living the dream programme stayed with me for a week nobody would want to move to spain :)

Trato Hecho
Resident

Postby Trato Hecho » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm

i heard theres a Heatwaze forecast and a hosepipe ban....... :crazy:

Dont worry B Happy...... :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks PP for that post I thought it was only me!!lol
I always say if the living the dream programme stayed with me for a week nobody would want to move to spain
No,i think there are far more of us than we care to realise.The sun certainly isnt everything,infact sometimes even that is a pain in the rear end. :shh:
I am a really happy person,but this place has really took its toll on me.I wish it was as easy as just re~packing the 3 holdalls that we each came here with and going home to UK.Unfortunatley it isnt.
:(
I do love Spain,but with every year that passes,im beginning to think it just isnt for us. :?

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Well Princess Peach your not alone in that thought,yes you have to take the rough with the smooth,no place is perfect.Having said that I am beginning my research now for pastures new.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 am

The ants have been marching round the garden for a couple of weeks or more already. Aaargh!

Mind you, some swallows have arrived. I like them!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm

mijas-lady wrote:Thanks PP for that post I thought it was only me!!lol
I always say if the living the dream programme stayed with me for a week nobody would want to move to spain :)
I've only been here six months, but have to say that the constant underlying feeling that someone is pulling the rug from under me does leave me feeling in a constant state of stress. I was hoping that as time went on, this would get better as I learnt how to deal with situations in Spain better, and developed a network of friends and acquaintances to help, but it would appear that it doesn't necessarily happen.
The positive side of this is that I've become more independent and resourceful. It's amazing what I've learnt to do since I got here, from repairs to the electrics, car, pool etc to dealing with Spanish bureaucracy.

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Well, Did they turn up after all? :eh:
Thats it for now

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:08 am

Don't know about where PP is, but no more mossies here than usual. A lot more ants though!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:35 am

Loads of ants, lots of mossies, less flies than usual here.

patchdog
Resident

Postby patchdog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 am

princess peach wrote:umm,think you mean THIS summer J???
I havent relaxed in nearly 7 years of being in Spain,I constantly worry...Doctors,sons career,sons schooling,plants,mossies,my moto....oh i could go on... :crazy:
I dont enjoy living here...i plod on.... :thumbup: :lol: and try not to have a nervous breakdown :think:
I can honestly understand how you feel. I hear many expats denying the problems of living in another country. I have heard expats telling me how everything is perfect, spanish people are perfect, things are soooooo much better here and then within a short time they are on there way backto the UK.
I have to say I prefer it here in Spain but thats because I came for an adventure and adventures have to be endured to get the best out of them, but thats me. My partner is or has been worn down by the complications of living here and add to that, the lack of family and old friends,its not easy for some.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Certainly more mossies this year!!!!!!!!!!!! they have never bothered with me before......this year I have already lost count of the bites....All the repellent methods I have used to date seem to have no effect :( If anyone has any suggestions (prefably natural) to keep them a bay please post!! I now have great sympathy for those who get bitten year after year.

I have intention of going anywhere else, this is my home and I love it :D Now just entering my 7th year.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:36 pm

So far - ants in the :-
Kitchen, bathroom, lounge, hall, despenser and bedroom. Only two more rooms to go! Was hoping the little blighters would have drowned over the winter, but they are either amphibious or have snorkels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No mossies though.
I can spell but I can't type

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:40 pm

This is crazyred's recipe from a couple of years ago:-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18170&p=153122&hilit=mozzie#p153122

I keep meaning to make some up to try, but haven't yet got round to it (probably cos I haven't really needed to :wink: ). Mind you, I was got by the little b(l)ighters at the end of May - I had a row of bites all the way up my left leg. Horrible lumps, and scars lasted for weeks.... :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

pietree
Resident

Postby pietree » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:05 pm

I am just recovering from about 500 bites, Not from Spain though, I can tell you that if you paint nail varnish on the bites it really does relieve the itching far better than the cream That I bought anyway.
Thats it for now

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm

I can tell you that if you paint nail varnish on the bites it really does relieve the itching far better than the cream
HAHAHA,not a good look if your face has been bitten several times and you use red nail polish to paint on them... :lol:

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Saw a news report tonight on the spanish TV (not sure where it was from as I missed that bit, but as it was on Canal Sur, am assuming andalucia) and a feria had been cancelled and they were starting to spray the whole area with crop sprayng aeroplanes to get rid of the plague of mossies! They showed walls that were absolutely covered with the things! Makes you itch just thinking about it!
I can spell but I can't type