Excited and Scared!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Paula
Andalucia Guru

Re: Excited and Scared!

Postby Paula » Fri May 21, 2010 10:13 pm

So far so good! She looks pretty much at home :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 8:28 am

Well another update and maybe a bit of advice if anyone can help me.

Two females have been taken out for walks together and seem to be o.k upto now.They have been walking side by side and inches apart from each other,no snarling or growling at all.
Now the thing is~My two dogs are being kept out of their usual environment and are in the kitchen and back patio.Usually they are in the living room,but my house is open plan and i cant keep them in the living room as there is no door :( The new girl has the run of where my dogs usually are. :? Am i doing the right thing here?
I dont feel that i am,she is in my dogs usual space :think:
Also when the two females have calmed down from their walk,we keep them on the leads in the garden so they can see each other.The new girl has had a good sniff of my females bits and my female has let her,with no problems.The new girl then tries to get on my females back..possibly dominating her i dont know :?
My girl does nothing and walks away.Is this normal?
My girl isnt interested in the new arrival.The new girl is also doing this to my big male..is this a dominating thing?

The latest pics of the new lass took this morning....

Always on her back!

Two bones and she wants the brush..lolol

We all adore her,shes an amazing little lady.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Sun May 23, 2010 9:23 am

Well done Princess Peach!
See the thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23782
for information about the animal rescue centre you went to.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 23, 2010 1:41 pm

Princess,
I don't think that you need any advice about caring for dogs, you seem great with them.... :)

Some lovely pics. there, just showed them to my missus....all she could say was 'oh isn't she lovely'..about 20 times....!

Regards,
Gordon

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Sun May 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Sounds like your off to a good start,personally I think its up to you to decide where the dogs can or cant go,though personally I have always made sure my oldies are allowed to stick to their old routine as much as possible and the newbie has to fit in around them,also you have to feel comfortable with the arrangements and they have to be convenient for you.I am no way any sort of dog "ologist" but from personal experience standing on hind legs and putting front paws on the back of another dog is generally deemed to trying to be dominant,its good that your other female is ignoring her for now,however that may or may not continue indefinitely.Do some research on managing a pack of dogs on the internet,there is a web forum on Its me or the dog,mostly american based but interesting and loads of other bits of info.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 23, 2010 4:44 pm

aww,every time i read these posts i just melt into doggie heaven... :thumbup:

I have spoken to a client of mine today who keeps 20 doggies indoors and 8 outdoors.Most of which are bitches.She told me that my own dogs need to be kept in their usual place where they have always lived.The new arrival needs to go into the kitchen/patio area.Then introduced into my dogs living area.So tommorow its all change around.
I started to feel sad at the thought of the new girl being put into the kitchen/patio after what shes been thru,and then thought well.......anything is better than where she was and this pulled me together a bit.

Thanks Gordon for your comments,Kexon.im off to search the net right now. :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Oh Peachy! Have only just read this now. Well done you...and lucky little lady....what have you called her? She is an absolute doll! You sound as though you are doing really great with her and I bet she will soon be settled in really well! Have you managed to bath her yet...would love to see a piccie of that!
Congrats again. K xxx
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon May 24, 2010 6:44 pm

aww thanks Karen..lol..she was called Gordi,we were going to call her Gertie,but have stuck to her original name...i couldnt stop calling her it anyway...so Gordi it is...amongst other names,such as gordita,guapa,bonita etc...just to confuse the poor lil lady..lol..
Havent tried to bath her again yet...we are busy rubbing savlon into her healing skin..she has self cleaned since the flea treatment and doesnt smell at all,her fur has started to grow back,so shes getting there very slowly.Two girls have been off the leads in the front garden today after a tiring walk...we supervised them and they were o.k for about 10 mins,even laid side by side at one point..im still nervous about them being together,but its still early days yet,we only got her Friday.Shes georgous and we all love her already.It can only get better. :thumbup:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 pm

awww sounds (and looks) such a cutie. that is great the girls are starting to accept each other.love the name..and she wil probably answer to Gertie too as its not much different. :lol:
Keep us posted on how they are all doing. Sounds like fun and games being had by all in the Peachy household these past few days. :clap:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

rubia
Tourist

Postby rubia » Tue May 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Oh PP she's luuuurvely!

I think you're stressing too much ... keep your own dogs where they are used to and let your new little lady fit in with them ... as you already know, Bulldogs are very intelligent (but don't want you to know that!) and they know when they are on to a good thing, so your new one will accept her new life if it's better.

The dogs home may have told you she didn't get on with other dogs, but in my experience once they know who's boss (and yes the new one may be trying to be assertive towards your other female) they all know where they stand within "your pack" - remember it's your pack - not theirs! Besides, she may not have liked the other dogs in the home as they all wanted was a piece of her! Bulldogs seem to have an understanding for each other which I've never been able to explain - they can ignore other (yapping and sometimes violent) doggies but together with other bulldogs they are perfect.

Bulldogs are not usually fighters - despite what other people may think - they usually make more sound than anything else! If there's a problem, they will let you know! Stop worrying too much :crazy:

She's obviously a little traumatised by the dogs home but sounds very happy to be with you ... we love seeing our boy roll over like your new Gordi. :lol: I think she will fit in fine with her new family, and I don't think she could ask for a better mummy so really, I don't think you need worry too much! I hope you are as happy with her as she is to be with you xx

Just as a funny note - I met the breeder of my bully last week (well he recognised my boy whilst we were out walking!) and he was calling him Gordo - I told him my boy wasn't fat but he explained that he just called him that anyway! Probably a bit like I call my boy "baby face" or "bonny boy" - (he loves that!) :lol:

More pictures please! :thumbup:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue May 25, 2010 3:09 pm

ditto everything rubia said. I think you're doing a great job and should stop worrying :D

I heard my friend's Spanish boyfriend call her Gorda and I told him off 'cos I thought he was being mean but, it turns out it's a term of endearment :crazy:

She looks gorgeous PP and looks very happy already!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks again,your so supportive all of you.Well things are getting better daily...the two ladies are going out together all the time.When we are back in the garden their leads come off.My lady is left to roam and the new girl has her collar left on,incase we need to grab her suddenly.My girl wont give her eye contact and the new girl had her pinned and was humping her tonight with no growling whatsoever.My girl is completely placid,so i imagine she WILL give into the new one,which also isnt a bad thing.If she submits there will be less chance of any scraps.
The new girls fur is growing back daily and her cuts are healing nicely,she seems to be putting on weight as well,her gums have gone from red to pink and she seems content and happy.So far so good.Will post some more pics in week or two.
Thanks again everyone,really appreciate all your support. :thumbup:

rubia
Tourist

Postby rubia » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi PP

How is your little lady these days? I often think about her ..... I hope she's very happy and you too!

Do you have any more photo's to upload? (Just so I can say "awwww" over and over again")

BTW - have you ever seen "Pankun and James" on you tube? If not, have a look - they are best friends and have lots of 'adventures' together!!

GRANVILLE
Andalucia.com Amigo
Location: Rio Burmuza, Canillias de Aceituna near Velez Malaga

Postby GRANVILLE » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Great story. keep the updates coming.Pics are great as well.As for my advise while ever you are with them i would let them mix they will be less likely to start on each other if their boss is around . good look.