DVT and cross with the doctor

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
janda_grant2
Resident

DVT and cross with the doctor

Postby janda_grant2 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Having just had the three months from hell I'm starting to get past the I'm cross stage to wanting retribution! Hubby has been walking around for 8 weeks with a DVT in his leg, part of which broke off and went to his lung. Having visited the doctor for weeks and been prescribed pills to "improve" circulation, and a hidrocortisone cream to take away the swelling he was eventually diagnosed when the chest clinic he was a last referred to becuse he couldn't breathe organised a doppler scan of his leg! Result - direct referral from the scan to 8 days in hospital, two further scans, a CAT scan, a biopsy and a six month course of rat poison! The worrying thing is it could have been so much worse, death or disability were not out of the question!

The real question is do we have any come back against our GP, who really couldn't have done less? Every appointment we felt we were being humoured and rushed over, and at the last one she couldn't do anything because the computer was down! He's been home nearly two weeks now, and we can't even get to see her to tell her he's been in hospital until NEXT Wednesday! My faith in her has been dented somewhat to say the least.
I can spell but I can't type

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Re: DVT and cross with the doctor

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Have to say I am surprised at the delay in getting tests done. Our experience is that the Spanish Health Service do a lot more tests, quickly, than UK.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

kexon
Resident

Postby kexon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Janda,Sorry to hear about your hubbie and I can understand why you are so angry,thats very frightening,glad to hear he is on the mend.However it sounds rather shabby and neglectful treatment to me, or rather the lack of treatment and interest of her patients!Unfortunately I simply wouldnt know where to begin to complain but am sure there must be a system of complaint available surely?I wonder if the legal section on the forum could be of any help to you,as far as I can see its medical negligence.

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Don' waste time complaining. I had a similar experience last year. Saw the local doc 4 times - never actually got out of his chair to touch me.

In desperation went to a clinic in Torremolinos and 4 days later a 8cm tumour cut out of my colon!!! Complained using the Junta forms. Their reply was in effect "it is difficult even on the third visit to diagnose a problem".

I have to say that subsequent chemo. in St Cecilia in Granada has been brill.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Thinking about it there does seem to be a lot of posters who have cancer/tumours and other serious illnesses. Is it because many posters are elderly? what do you think?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:10 pm

I suppose it depends on how you define 'elderly' ! I'm 55 - I certainly don't consider myself to be elderly :lol:

Seriously, I think it's partly because detection rates are better these days (pentaqua-new and janda apart !). I was luckier than them, as mine was detected quite early (in UK), before I was ill at all, tho I did go to the GPs 3 times (different doctor each time).
On the second visit the GP (who was a partner in the practice) had made up his mind what was wrong with me before I even entered the examination room, didn't bother to give me any kind of physical exam, and sent me away with a prescription for antibiotics :thumbdown:

I would say that to get taken seriously these days, you have to push somewhat.....
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Strange I had to act as translator for someone last year who had suspected dvt he was sent up to A and E within 24 hours by local GP who was very thorough and professional, if you have a Resident´s Association for your town speak to them as you may find other unhappy patients.......and then can campaign en masse, more effective, so often the health body is unaware of patient feedback, so you could write a letter suggesting re-training or DVT awareness given high number of international travellers, some way of phrasing it to get a positive response as opposed to them shutting down in face of a complaint